New Mexico Unit 30

mstewart

Whats up yall - long time hunter/reader, first time poster

Drew a tag this year to hunt mule deer in unit 30 and was hoping to find some advice. I haven't been to the area yet (spent a lot of time in northern NM) and was hoping to get some advice on some general areas I should start scouting. If anyone can tell me anything about the area it'd be greatly appreciated. I've spent all my hunting years going after whitetail in Georgia, Florida, and Arkansas so any tips on hunting out west would also be appreciated.

Thanks -

Matthew

No nothing about this unit but can tell you since you only hunted whitetail some tips.

Mule deer is all about glassing. You need to get the best glass you can be it bino's or spotting scope. Nice pair of 15x binos is nice to have.

Mule deer tend to be not as spooky as whitetails but still need to watch the wind.

You will be hunting much more opened area. You will be more then likely takes shots of 100 to 400yd so practice for that.

Good luck

Thanks for the tips - I'm bow hunting so sounds like I'm gonna have my work cut out for me. All good though, the tough hunts are always the most fun!

If it is the sept hunt is will be tough for sure. You will be looking for Bachler groups of buck then.

If you drew the jan hunt then the rut should be going on and it is much easier then.

Either way glassing is still the key

I have drawn a muzzy deer tag for this Unit 30. I would appreciate any suggestions for areas that are possible to get into those deer.

Thanks and you can post here or other places I have put this question on this site, or do a personal email. Good hunting to all.

Peter

You're likely to see deer pretty much anywhere in the Guadalupes. The bigger issue is knowing where you are and whether you're allowed to be hunting that particular piece of ground. BLM, National Forest, and State land is good; National Park and private land is bad. A GPS system that can tell you all that stuff will be essential.

I drew a Unit 30 archery tag this year for September and am trying to scrape together as much information as possible so I can start scouting. Does anyone have suggestions on areas to start scouting or at least somewhere to set camp and begin looking? I plan on staying in the Guadalupes on this trip.

As Mozey stated, deer are scattered throughout the Guads. Lower county is sparse with thinly scattered mesquite and cactus, mid elevations are thick in P/J , there are limited areas with tall pines . Main roads are good and numerous camping spots available. Drop the camper down low and drive till you find an area you're comfortable in, hunt there. Generics are not great but can be a fun hunt, it was my 2nd choice but stuck out AGAIN . Have a blast and Make Memories

As Mozey stated, deer are scattered throughout the Guads. Lower county is sparse with thinly scattered mesquite and cactus, mid elevations are thick in P/J , there are limited areas with tall pines . Main roads are good and numerous camping spots available. Drop the camper down low and drive till you find an area you're comfortable in, hunt there. Generics are not great but can be a fun hunt, it was my 2nd choice but stuck out AGAIN . Have a blast and Make Memories

Thank you. Any info helps me out a lot.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom