New Mexico Unit 34 vs Unit 36

Fellow hunters I have been talking to Compass West Outfitters about a private ranch elk hunt next year. I found they have landowner tags for both units. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether one unit is better than the other. Hoping for a bull in the 300" class, with any luck maybe up to 320". I have read this should be a reasonable class bull for these areas.

As far as a private ranch only hunt either unit has private ranches with good bulls, as far as a unit wide landowner tag where you will hunt the whole unit 34

I'm a relative novice so I can't intelligently comment to the quality of bulls you'll find in either area, but I do have a cow tag for unit 34 I'll be attempting to punch starting this Saturday and it just so happens the NM dept of Game and Fish was nice enough to send me an email today reminding me of the CWD issues in unit 34.

So if I was in your shoes, and I had a choice between those two units, and all other issues (such as quality) being equal, I'd choose unit 36 just to avoid the CWD issue in unit 34.

food for thought.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-19 AT 04:40PM (MST)[p]It depends on the location of each ranch or are they unit wide tags? Hard to say if one is better than the other. Both units have good elk herds and are good for 300ish bulls. Both have bigger bulls but neither is known as ?big bull? units. 34 has more roads, more country and a larger # of elk. 36 has less roads, ruffer country and loess amount of public land, still plenty. As far as fun hunts goes both are great units

Just depends on how you want to hunt

34 has a better age class of bulls hands down both units have great genetics, both also border the reservation so you never know what could show up.

I've hunted both Units and preferably chose 36 (36 is my backyard) however also love 34. Plenty of elk in both Units. They're like pest at night! All over the place. 34 Is not as steep as 36 unless your hunting around WestSide Rd / High Rolls area. Youll see plenty of elk for sure.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom