New Mexico wild fires , looking bad for many elk units

S-3 Ranch

Good lord , looks like 34 and many other units are toasted
feel sorry for the guys that finally got drawn and 100’s of thousands of acres are burned out

Yah 3-S it's not looking good at all. Not often we are glad not to draw. Does suck big time for those that finally drew a tag.

Any idea what units these are on the webpage?

C1C98A68-61D1-42C0-84A7-30696C37C4D2.png

Just maybe they will get some spring rains and the grass will come back, elk will move back in for fall. If it's burned hot, it will be bleak for a while.
Hoping those folks get some relief soon.

Don’t over think it until it’s done. Fires more often than not will help elk hunting in the burn areas. Of course it all depends on rain but if it’s a normal monsoon the burns areas will be full of fresh green grass and elk.

That’s unit 17 San Mateo mountains

This is from this afternoon when I was flying back from lunch in Amarillo. Hermit Peak/Calf Canyon. $65M and counting on this fire alone!

20220511_131645.jpg

but are the zuni mountains on fire ?
I didn't see anything west of Albuquerque today, other than the fire in the Jemez 6A/6C, and obviously the area northeast of Santa Fe. Haven't been south in a few days. Even though I didn't draw this year, I'll try to keep you guys updated on what I see. Keep in mind, the FAA still tells us where we can fly. I'll be your Larry Barker eye in the sky lol! ? I only fly where your tax dollars allow me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom