New muzzleloader hunt in Montana

bowedark

Received a notice from Montana DNR about the new muzzleloader hunt

I’ve always wanted a hunt muley in December
The talk is November the later the better & you should the one’s that come out in December

The new muzzleloader boast distance of 2 miles LOL this could be fun

Anyone got any reports on the overall season

With the weapons restrictions on this season, shots beyond 100 yard will be bordering on the unethical.
If every unprepared Joe that couldn't fill a tag during six weeks of archery and five weeks of rifle season jumps in on the new muzzleloader season it will not be long and the small group that pushed this season will be calling for choose your weapon in Montana.
Landowners hate it. After six weeks of archery and five weeks of rifle landowners more than ready to be done wrangling hunters. The result is many of them turn the management of hunting thier property over to a third party. Getting paid to have some one take the hassle out of hunting season is a win win in the view of many landowners. Adding another 9 days of hunting going to make it harder for those unwilling to participate in the pay to play game.

Why cant the guys who want to hunt with a muzzy just hunt during the rifle season?

I am hearing and seeing a lot of stupid coming from MT lately. Before long you will end up with 15 seasons scattered over 3 months but no one will get to hunt more than week as they will force you into a system like Colorado.

Sad. Hope MT stands up and fights this bs. I suck with my muzzle loader. But with open sights I can easily kill to 200 yards. If I got serious and worked it I have no doubt that my $300 muzzy loader would be lethal to 400...

Received a notice from Montana DNR about the new muzzleloader hunt

I’ve always wanted a hunt muley in December
The talk is November the later the better & you should the one’s that come out in December

Anyone got any reports on the overall season
You may want to look into what is actually legal for this season. I wouldn’t show up with your long range muzzleloader…

Why cant the guys who want to hunt with a muzzy just hunt during the rifle season?

I am hearing and seeing a lot of stupid coming from MT lately. Before long you will end up with 15 seasons scattered over 3 months but no one will get to hunt more than week as they will force you into a system like Colorado.

Sad. Hope MT stands up and fights this bs. I suck with my muzzle loader. But with open sights I can easily kill to 200 yards. If I got serious and worked it I have no doubt that my $300 muzzy loader would be lethal to 400...
This is a traditional muzzy season. You aren’t shooting a Hawkins anywhere near 300 yards.

It’s still a ridiculous addition to the already way to long General season. It’s pretty sad actually because Montana has a wide variety of excellent habitats and could grow some exceptional deer if they actually managed for it just a little bit.

It’s still a ridiculous addition to the already way to long General season. It’s pretty sad actually because Montana has a wide variety of excellent habitats and could grow some exceptional deer if they actually managed for it just a little bit.
Montana could have World class animals of all big game species with the right management. mtmuley

It doesn’t necessarily have to be a ball and flintlock. It can be percussion cap and lead conical. No sabots. Fwp has it all lined out on their website. I sure hope this doesn’t catch on. At least not in this format.
I would not mind seeing a limited draw muzzleloader tag with some choice dates with no overlapping seasons. Maybe. But at this point in the year the animals need a damn break. Especially with shoulder and B tag hunters still running amok.

Montana could have World class animals of all big game species with the right management. mtmuley
It will take a lot more then just management
To get hunting in montana, back to what it once
Was and even then i truely don't think hunting in any of the western states will ever be what it once was, we have lost way to much habitat from development, invasive species & several other things it will never be the same

Your front sight would cover up the entire animal at 300 yards.

Mtmuley--- Can you expound on that? Is it only true for region 2 ?
I know in Region 1 and I think throughout the state a lot of Forest Service Roads close to all vehicles on Oct. 15th. prior to the rifle season, and then reopen on December 1st to snowmobiles. Mainly to protect wildlife . The December Muzzle loader seasons could kind of defeat the purpose of these road closures with an early snow. As much as I love to hunt we don't need to be chasing animals in December. We already have the longest seasons of any Western State. Give the animals a break.

Region 2 is the only region to adopt the 3 week season as far as I know. The units requiring a permit run the full length of the regular season. mtmuley

Thanks for the response. I'm still not sure I understand what your saying but something must of got settled in the FWP meeting a few days ago. I'll have to go on line and read about it.

something must of got settled in the FWP meeting a few days ago.
Depends on how you look at it
Lot of people still not happy i think they never will be no matter what changes are made
They will never accept the fact montana, will
Never have the type of world class hunting they want, or think it can have

Depends on how you look at it
Lot of people still not happy i think they never will be no matter what changes are made
They will never accept the fact montana, will
Never have the type of world class hunting they want, or think it can have
I disagree. Take a look at the two LE mule deer units in Western Montana. Also the Missouri Breaks were once world class. Could be again with the right changes. It's the opportunity guys satisfied with shooting young deer during the rut that do not want change. mtmuley

I'll still shoot young deer rut or. No rut
Ill drill a button buck / doe/ fawn cow/ spike or calf , On opening day just as, fast as i would if it was a 30 inch 5x5.I, dont need the rut to kill a deer & i dont need a wall full of antlers
40+ yrs of hunting montana ive NEVER eaten tag soup. & never will if its, brown its down
I shoot the first LEGAL deer /elk i see opening day always, have, always, will
Yes, im one of the guys, you hate so much ill
Choose oppurtunity over qaulity every time
The breaks, and, western montana have never been world class, they have killed a few decent
Animals but not with the consistency of places, like colorado or wyomings, region g & h

Ill drill a button buck / doe/ fawn cow/ spike or calf , On opening day just as, fast as i would if it was a 30 inch 5x5.I, dont need the rut to kill a deer & i dont need a wall full of antlers
40+ yrs of hunting montana ive NEVER eaten tag soup. & never will if its, brown its down
The breaks, and, western montana have never been world class, they have killed a few decent
Animals but not with the consistency of places, like colorado or wyomings, region g & h
To each his own. mtmuley

I wish more hunters were like you, The ones that are hurting quality are the ones that hunt hard 11 weeks of season and then shoot a 2 year old four point Thanksgiving because there ego will not let them go home empty.
Montana use to be full of big deer. When my father and neighbor guided in the 60's and 70's they took quality bucks every year and more than a few real monsters with in 10 miles of my house. Even the 80's and 90's had some big deer.

Last edited:
Sounds like you don’t need 11 weeks of opportunity to be satisfied or a muzzleloader season to be added on. You should be able to be successful in a weekend or maybe even a morning of hunting.

Sounds like you don’t need 11 weeks of opportunity to be satisfied or a muzzleloader season to be added on. You should be able to be successful in a weekend or maybe even a morning of hunting.
No i dont need 11 weeks,, and your correct 3 days max and our season is done in montana
Then my wife and i concentrate on the other 8-9
States we hunt , been doing it that way for 40+ yrs
Myy wife & i have never been obsessed, with haveing to shoot big antlered bucks/bulls never will be
Just not something we get all excited and giddy over.
we hunt to many other states for a variety of species( big game small game waterfowl & upland) to spend 11 weeks in one state chaseing an animal just so we can have bragging rights, and a membership in the good old boys club, just not worth our time

Last edited:
No i dont need 11 weeks,, and your correct 3 days max and our season is done in montana
Then my wife and i concentrate on the other 8-9
States we hunt , been doing it that way for 40+ yrs
Myy wife & i have never been obsessed, with haveing to shoot big antlered bucks/bulls never will be
Just not something we get all excited and giddy over.
we hunt to many other states for a variety of species( big game small game waterfowl & upland) to spend 11 weeks in one state chaseing an animal just so we can have bragging rights
And a, membership in the good old boys club
Just not worth our time
So I don’t need 11 weeks you don’t need 11 weeks and we don’t need to hunt during the rut. We agree. You are lucky to hunt so many states, that’s not feasible for most.

So I don’t need 11 weeks you don’t need 11 weeks and we don’t need to hunt during the rut. We agree. You are lucky to hunt so many states, that’s not feasible for most.
No we, dont but some think they do, and im ok wiith that, montana's mule deer have more problems then just being hunted in the rut
& being chased for 11weeks
habitat loss due to Development,& drought, & invasive species is,a bigger factor then most want to admit,
But It's easier to blame it on long seasons,hunting the rut, over crowding, non residents & private land owners not allowing access
Season length has, very little to do with it
Nys season starts in september it ends in january (5 months) yet thier deer population is over a million whitetails (they have more whitetails then we have mule deer and whitetails, in montana combined) and they kill some truely monster deer,.
if season length & hunting the rut was, the main factor ny's Deer herd should be non exsistant

Last edited:
I don't need 11 weeks either. I haven't killed a mule deer in 14 years. Some of us do it differently. mtmuley
Thats, your choice its not because you couldnt find a deer to shoot, you just can't find one that measures up to your exspectations
your a horn hunter you have admitted that on several forums , like you said some do it differently, and im ok with that
horns DON'T impress me i hunt way to many states to chase head gear , and bragging rights

No we, dont but some think they do, and im ok wiith that, montana's mule deer have more problems then just being hunted in the rut
habitat loss due to Development,& drought is,a bigger factor then most want to admit,
But It's easier to blame it on long seasons, over crowding, non residents & private land owners not allowing access
Also agree but doing nothing or adding seasons sure isn’t going to help anything. I’m not lucky enough to travel all over the west during the fall and I do like seeing wildlife on the landscape. It is ok to not be successful people do it for a lot of different reasons, you like to fill your tag can’t argue with that. You don’t need 3 months to do it.

Thats, your choice its not because you couldnt find a deer to shoot, you just can't find one that measures up to your exspectations
your a horn hunter you have admitted that on several forums , like you said some do it differently, and im ok with that
horns DON'T impress me i hunt way to many states to chase head gear , and bragging rights
I don't brag about a damn thing. If anyone here is it's you. I am not a "horn" hunter. I'll hammer any whitetail I see. I like big mule deer. So what? For meat in the freezer I'll kill a whitey doe before a young mule deer buck. Keep riding your high horse. mtmuley

habitat loss due to Development,& drought, & invasive species is,a bigger factor then most want to admit,
But It's easier to blame it on long seasons,hunting the rut, over crowding, non residents & private land owners not allowing access
Season length has, very little to do with it
Nys season starts in september it ends in january (5 months) yet thier deer population is over a million whitetails (they have more whitetails then we have mule deer and whitetails, in montana combined) and they kill some truely monster deer,.
if season length & hunting the rut was, the main factor ny's Deer herd should be non exsistant
Comparing whitetails and mule deer is apples and oranges.
I have come to the conclusions that you want states like Montana to have long seasons so you can always fit them in to you busy schedule.

I don't brag about a damn thing. If anyone here is it's you. I am not a "horn" hunter. I'll hammer any whitetail I see. I like big mule deer. So what? For meat in the freezer I'll kill a whitey doe before a young mule deer buck. Keep riding your high horse. mtmuley
You just keep telling yourself that, what ever floats your boat muley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom