New OHV Training

Much ado about nothing. If there wasn’t a problem caused by idiots then they would not have to do this stuff. OHV abuse on our public lands is unreal and rampant.

I don’t think people have “freedoms” to rip apart public lands and destroy them by littering, trespassing, leaving their toilet paper on the side of the trail, etc.

It took me about 15 minutes to complete the course this morning. It is free and is required one time in your life. Hopefully what should be common sense in this training, but clearly isn’t if you’ve spent any time on our trails, will help reduce idiotic behavior.

It says free, but then you will get pulled over and harassed every time you pass law enforcement. They will be checking to see if you print it off and carrying it on your person.

Not true. The only time anyone is going to get checked for this is if they are pulled over for something else. Law enforcement can’t just stop you for no other reason than to check your papers.

The course is stupid and a waste of time. It is free for adults and $35 for under 18.

My thought is, this wont fix the stupid crap that we complain about. It wont stop idiots from driving off road. They will still do it. It wont stop people from littering. It wont stop people from speeding. It wont stop people from not wearing helmets. It wont stop people from anything they are not already doing. Law abiding citizens are not the problem. Its the illegal SH!T that causes this. Until we put the hammer down on this stuff, it will continue to happen. Stop slapping the had. HAMMER IT!!!

No 30 minute course is going to stop people from being stupid. But if you don't have your course paper printed they will ticket you.

I agree. But you will have already done something else deserving of a ticket before they ever even get to ask you about this certificate. And therefore I have zero sympathy for anyone that gets a ticket for this.

And when they set up an administrative check point. Which is not as uncommon as people think.

I just printed my permit. I wonder how long it will stay legible in my wallet? A sticker for your DL or something like a motorcycle or CDL certification on your DL would be nice.

And when they set up an administrative check point. Which is not as uncommon as people think.

I just printed my permit. I wonder how long it will stay legible in my wallet? A sticker for your DL or something like a motorcycle or CDL certification on your DL would be nice.
Just take a picture of it and save it on your phone. I do this with the shed antler paper also. I also have pictures of all my licenses and blue cards for my family. In a folder labeled hunting info.

The rules for checkpoints are pretty restrictive, and have to be approved by a judge. I don’t see a checkpoint being approved to check for the education class.

I don’t think they happen the way you’re implying here. That said, just do the class and you don’t have to worry about it, right?

Laws are hard for some people to follow, as we know.

I have run into 5 checkpoints in the last few years. At each one I was asked to provide license, registration and insurance proof for both the vehicle I was driving and ATV/UTV I was towing. There were a wide array of LEO involved in each. UHP, DNR and Sherriff deputies.

You may have missed my reply above about printing my permit.

Mandatory Insurance Will Be Next!

SLOWLY BUT DAMN F'N SURELY!

The rules for checkpoints are pretty restrictive, and have to be approved by a judge. I don’t see a checkpoint being approved to check for the education class.

I don’t think they happen the way you’re implying here. That said, just do the class and you don’t have to worry about it, right?

This is so stupid free yeah right it cost the taxpayers. It sounds like an excuse to write more tickets and DUI revenue. I can see it right now strawberry will be a joke for these license checkpoints. People are still going to do stupid stuff and drive like idiots. Just another clown idea to steal taxpayer money.

It was the legislature that passed this law requiring this. I wonder how many people upset about this have communicated it to those that passed it? O red are we just complaining online?

Heck, I wonder how many of the people complaining about this could even name their state rep and senator?

Not true. The only time anyone is going to get checked for this is if they are pulled over for something else. Law enforcement can’t just stop you for no other reason than to check your papers.
Sure they can. They do it daily during hunting season to make sure you have the right papers for the activity you’re participating in. You could just be driving down the road, all weapons cased and in the bed of the truck, but you have an orange hat on, so they pull you over to see what you’re hunting. It’s happened to me, my friends and family many times. Minding our own business, no laws being broken whatsoever. Red and blues in the mirror, wanting to see paperwork.

The course is fine, but the concept is not. In the past couple of years, there have been more ridiculous laws passed that make it more and more difficult to keep things straight. It don't matter to those who dont follow the rules. Trail cams...trails, bait, who does it really affect.

I wonder what the legislature has in store for us this coming session, "lets see what useless rules we can come up with to not enforce that only affect law biding citizens."

I wonder what the legislature has in store for us this coming session, "lets see what useless rules we can come up with to not enforce that only affect law biding citizens."

Not sure, but will I see you up at the Capitol speaking on these issues? Or will we just read about it after the fact on the internet?

dont get me wrong, I totally think the point of all these regulations are ethical things that most of us already follow. Do I think a certificate or course on how to operate an ATV/UTV is going to change the fact that most dipshits will stay on approved trails, or not drive their TRUCK sized UTV's on 50 inch trails? Nope they dont care...Im just getting tired of all the extra rules, and certificates, and licenses. etc. etc. etc..

Just so everyone is up to speed on the history here of how this came about.

This bill was sponsored by Representative Carl Albrecht (rural legislator) that was generated by the OHV community itself. The bill sponsor called it "a user group generated bill," and based upon the list below, he's not wrong. Here is a list of people and organizations that spoke in favor of the bill at the legislature or publicly endorsed it:

Utah ATV Association
Utah OHV Association
Utah Farm Bureau
RideUtah
Utah OHV Advocates
Utah Division of Recreation
New Car Dealers of Utah
UTV, Utah
Utah Power Sport Dealer Association
Moab Adventure Center
The Sevier County Sheriff, Nathan Curtis

I'm sure there are others, but these are groups/organizations that are on the record supporting this piece of legislation.

The OHV community at large and Utah's rural communities came together because there is a problem, and regular educational attempts have not worked. The rural legislators seemed to speak in favor of it the most.

Between two committee hearings, one in the House and the other in the Senate, not a single person spoke against it and it the bill didn't receive a single negative vote in committees. It passed the House with a 72-1 vote, the only nay vote being Rep Birkland from Morgan, who asked a general question about how this will be enforced, but didn't get into specifics or state her position in the discussion on the bill. It passed the Senate with a 25-0 vote.

It seems like the passion we are seeing online today for this one needed to be at this time last year, not right now.

It looks like you can complete the course online in 30 minutes. I don't see the big problem if it is free, which it should be but probably is not.
It ain't free for kids, it's $35. Kids are usually free and adults are charged for everything else. Only in the Bassackwards state of Utah.

Not only that the class like every other Utah state certification is a joke, you won't learn a thing and it's only intended purpose is so that the state legislature can pat themselves on the back and pretend they are accomplishing something.

Yeah and

This bill was sponsored by Representative Carl Albrecht (rural legislator) that was generated by the OHV community itself. The bill sponsor called it "a user group generated bill," and based upon the list below, he's not wrong. Here is a list of people and organizations that spoke in favor of the bill at the legislature or publicly endorsed it:

Utah ATV Association
Utah OHV Association
Utah Farm Bureau
RideUtah
Utah OHV Advocates
New Car Dealers of Utah
UTV, Utah
Moab Adventure Center

I'm sure there are others, but these are groups/organizations that are on the record supporting this piece of legislation.

The OHV community at large and Utah's rural communities came together because there is a problem, and regular educational attempts have not worked. The rural legislators seemed to speak in favor of it the most.

Between two committee hearings, one in the House and the other in the Senate, not a single person spoke against it and it the bill didn't receive a single negative vote in committees. It passed the House with a 72-1 vote, the only nay vote being Rep Birkland from Morgan, who asked a general question about how this will be enforced, but didn't get into specifics or state her position in the discussion on the bill. It passed the Senate with a 25-0 vote.

It seems like the passion we are seeing online today for this one needed to be at this time last year, not right now.
This class is intended to solve the problem we have with reckless idiots causing damage and safety issues on ATV's/UTV's. IT WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM!

.Good thing I ride a Tri state wheeler

C4E724E4-CD9F-4114-8F6E-0FFC8BD408A1.jpeg

It ain't free for kids, it's $35. Kids are usually free and adults are charged for everything else. Only in the Bassackwards state of Utah.

Not only that the class like every other Utah state certification is a joke, you won't learn a thing and it's only intended purpose is so that the state legislature can pat themselves on the back and pretend they are accomplishing something.
The $35 for under 18 is because under 18, they are still required to take the same rider safety course that they have always had to take in order to operate a ATV/UTV.

I think it's a good idea.

Takes a matter of seconds to print the Certificate, I already carry insurance on my RZR2, so no biggy and I just carry everything in my Registration waterproof packet.

Simple,

Robb

The $35 for under 18 is because under 18, they are still required to take the same rider safety course that they have always had to take in order to operate a ATV/UTV.
I don't see any accommodation for those under 18 who have already taken the course they were required to take before this was passed.

Did I miss it?

I hit the link and completed mine yesterday. I’ve wasted more of my time reading some of the whiny posts here than it took me to do it. I’m sure I’ll continue reading the posts anyway. Have a great Wednesday

Same here, I think I spent all of 5 minutes checking multiple choice answer boxes that would tell if I my guess was wrong.
I didn’t watch any of the videos, the answers to the questions were pretty obvious.

Utah ATV Association
Utah OHV Association
Utah Farm Bureau
RideUtah
Utah OHV Advocates
New Car Dealers of Utah
UTV, Utah
Moab Adventure Center

To be fair, I don't remember my senator or rep talking about this in any of there literature they put out, or email.

This is simply lawsuit protection. Look at the groups that support it, and real quick its obvious they want a way to deny responsibility for the idiots they sell stuff to.

Also, you're wildly misinformed about stops on the mtn. or the dunes. Sure, for a "checkpoint" you might need a judge. For "suspicion" of ........ you don't.

Be easier if we just banned ambulance chasing, but then average dude don't have lobby groups like the lawyers do I guess

Also, you're wildly misinformed about stops on the mtn. or the dunes. Sure, for a "checkpoint" you might need a judge. For "suspicion" of ........ you don't.

I don't think I am. Not even a little misinformed, let alone "wildly" misinformed.

Personally, I've got thousands upon thousands of hours and miles logged all across Utah on OHVs for the last 30+ years. I've literally never been stopped a single time. Ever.

Professionally, I may know a thing or two about reasonable suspicion and law enforcement tactics. Just maybe...

Like I have said before, if you're doing something wrong and get popped for it, you won't get any sympathy for me. Just like if I get a speeding ticket on my way home today, the only person I can blame is myself for speeding.

I don't think I am. Not even a little misinformed, let alone "wildly" misinformed.

Personally, I've got thousands upon thousands of hours and miles logged all across Utah on OHVs for the last 30+ years. I've literally never been stopped a single time. Ever.

Professionally, I may know a thing or two about reasonable suspicion and law enforcement tactics. Just maybe...

Like I have said before, if you're doing something wrong and get popped for it, you won't get any sympathy for me. Just like if I get a speeding ticket on my way home today, the only person I can blame is myself for speeding.

My understanding is that you're a State lawyer. The state isn't the only ones doing the checking.

The list of "doing something wrong" keeps being added to, that seems to be the whole point of this post.

Other than adding another layer of lawsuit protection. The state will make a nice chunk of change with this new deal this year, I doubt highly very many folks know about it, and YES, about 20k people will get an education Easter weekend alone, when there are plenty of organized stops of ohv, along with the "suspicion" ones.

Kinda Proves You Might Be BLAZING Trails Where They Can't See You Doesn't It?:D

COULD the stop and check will be the same as a DUI checkpoint.
How can you stop it????

I mean they are going to do the stop and check as a hunter want can you do to stop them A BIG Fat Zero best just grin and bare it.

Since Bess stopped “tuning” them up here, they’ve been out of control. I’ve retired mine to pushing snow.

I would be fine with a 2 day 20 hour mandatory course.
I did mine before I turned 16. And somehow, I still know how to stay on a road, not go down roads not meant for my machine, not litter, be courteous to other drivers, not go too fast and the list goes on. But.........If you want to take another 2 day, 20 hour course, go for it! NOT ME!

I did mine before I turned 16. And somehow, I still know how to stay on a road, not go down roads not meant for my machine, not litter, be courteous to other drivers, not go too fast and the list goes on. But.........If you want to take another 2 day, 20 hour course, go for it! NOT ME!
Great! I wish 90% of the other riders up here, were like you.

Great! I wish 90% of the other riders up here, were like you.
It takes law ENFORCEMENT "PRESENT", not a course. The course will do nothing to fix the problem. Drinking and driving still happens event though it is illegal. Drugs are still consumed, even though it is illegal. Driving your ATV/UTV wrong will happen, even with a course. It will take action, severe action to make a dent. Big fines, impoundment and other actions to make a difference.

It takes law ENFORCEMENT "PRESENT", not a course. The course will do nothing to fix the problem. Drinking and driving still happens event though it is illegal. Drugs are still consumed, even though it is illegal. Driving your ATV/UTV wrong will happen, even with a course. It will take action, severe action to make a dent. Big fines, impoundment and other actions to make a difference.
Of course you are right. I was joking about a 20 hour course.

I wish the issue could be solved.

Are we ready for our taxes to skyrocket so we can have law enforcement out constantly patrolling the backcountry for this stuff?

Because having law enforcement present costs money. Lots of it. Are we all willing to sign up for that?

Oregon did this quite a few years ago, a pain for sure but not a big deal when it first started. Advice for everyone in Utah, get the course now while it’s free and easy.

Oregon keeps complicating it more and more, it was free at first and a pretty quick online course and test. Now there is a fee, and it is not as easy as it was, thankfully I got mine done way back then and don’t have to worry about it.

Are we ready for our taxes to skyrocket so we can have law enforcement out constantly patrolling the backcountry for this stuff?

Because having law enforcement present costs money. Lots of it. Are we all willing to sign up for that?
I'd gladly pay for that instead of illegal immigrants...

Hey Niller!

I Seen 2 Different USFS Employee's/Officials Watching For Illegal Christmas Tree Cutters Earlier before Christmas!

Did I Ever See Anybody Patrolling For Illegal ATV'ers during this Same Time Frame?

NO!

You Could Never Catch Em All!

You Could Never Catch A Fraction Of Them!

Specially If Nobody Tries!

The Damage On The South Slope Is Already Done!

A Few Years Back We Had a Gal That Worked For The USFS That Did Hand A Few Tickets Out For The Abuse!

She Never Scratched Em!

I Don't Know Who Nick-Named Her,But Her Nick-Name Was HondaHammer!:D:D:D

If They'd Quit Wasting Our Tax Money They Could Afford To Do Lots of Stuff Without Raising Taxes & Other Fee's!

Not sure if it was already posted, but in NM you have to have a permit/sticker on your ATV. Here is the info on it:

OHV (Off-Highway Vehicle)​

The Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Program provides for off-highway motor vehicle recreation that recognizes the importance of New Mexico’s cultural, historic, and resource values while also ensuring public safety. New Mexico has new requirements for off-highway motor vehicles (OHVs) designed to protect the safety of all OHV users and ensure responsible and sensitive OHV use. The law requires all OHV users to register or acquire a permit for their OHV if it is used on public land.

Registration is required for OHVs prior to using on any public lands in New Mexico and must be displayed.

$53​
Initial registration
$50​
Thereafter
(OHVs must be renewed every two years – if used on public lands)

Not sure if Utah requires this or not.

Try driving a commercial vehicle for a living!

Agree or not. I took the course in less time then it took to read this thread and now I'm good for life.

Most of us on this site would not need this course. It does seem it is for the very beginner's or for them jackwagons that have no common sense or respect for anyone or anything.

Simple and could have passed it without even listening to videos or reading content provided.

"I took the course in less time then it took to read this thread and now I'm good for life."

Good for life - Now you have a lifetime of not losing it, keeping it safe and readable, and trying to remember to always have it on you.

I wish our name would go in a database and the requirement to carry it on person would go away.

It Better Be On Better Paper Than My Deer Tag Was On!

"I took the course in less time then it took to read this thread and now I'm good for life."

Good for life - Now you have a lifetime of not losing it, keeping it safe and readable, and trying to remember to always have it on you.

I wish our name would go in a database and the requirement to carry it on person would go away.

It Better Be On Better Paper Than My Deer Tag Was On!
Amen! But you have to print your own.

Some say to just take a picture of it and put it on your phone.....what are the chances that the picture is on my future phone 25 years from now.

The course was dumb but I don't really care that I had to take it. Proving I took it from now to forever more is what I am having a hard time with.

40 years from now......Hey Grandpa, that is a thick wallet. What is the oldest thing in there? My required OHV Education Certificate.

Well I did just down load it to my phone. When I get a new phone I always have all my old photos transferred to the new one anyway.

Idk about that….hit a check point a few years back. Pulling a toy hauler. They wanted to see registration and insurance on truck, trailer registration, because it was toy hauler, they looked inside, seen the wheelers, wanted to see registration for each machine. At that point, I am sure they would be fishing for the training course permit if they are digging for potential to fine someone….which is the purpose of all this…another way to collect free money.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom