new pack

joebuck

I just bought a new pack for sheep hunting. It's a Jansport Nepali external frame. I got a smokin' deal so I couldn't help myself. I'm wondering if anyone has used this pack and has any feedback.

Joebuck: I havent. I have a Kifaru longhunter I have used and a smaller Rocky daypack. I am interested in an intermediate size maybe like what you just bought. I want to pack around 25 pounds of bino's/water then be able to pack out a boned out deer. The kifaru is too big and bulky for the shorter hunts. Allen Taylor......

Bura Nut,this pack is a little bigger than you're looking for. It's 2600 cubic inches so it's too big to use as a daypack. Plus I find the external frame makes them a little too noisy for every day hunting.

I think I want a day (couple day) pack around 1200 for the way I am coues hunting. I think the kifaru is around 4800 and in coues hunting, I am moving alot then setting up to glass, and the kifaru is more for packing into a spike camp then taking off and hunting. Anyway, just my preference but I hope your new pack works for your purposes. p.s. I saw a good picture of yours on Tony Mandile's web page. He put my coues on there to. Congrats........Allen Taylor......

Joebuck,
Do you prefer an external frame over an internal frame pack. I've got an expedition size (litres ?) Gregory internal frame that I love. I got the pack in the days when I was into backcountry skiing. I had used external frames while growing up and found my center of balance was thrown off by them, especially when skiing. My Gregory has packed out a lot of animals, the only down fall is that it can get pretty bloody. But it takes down and can be washed in a washer machine. Do the new external frames allow for weight transfer from shoulders to hips? That is what I really like about the internal packs. My shoulders can share the weight with my hips. Being of small build, my shoulders can't take the all the weight. I haven't picked up a Backpacker Magazine for years, but back in the day my Gregory was highly rated. I just am wondering if the technology has changed now and if packs like yours or Kifaru would be better for backpack hunts.

Hey Bura

Kifaru Spike Camp. Just what you're looking for. You need the Cargo Chair for packing out a boned out deer. More than a day pack but not as nearly big as your Long Hunter. I also have added a Boundary Waters Roll Top 11 X 25 to my hunting kit. I put the boned out meat in a cotton meat bag and then into the roll top. Keeps the blood from getting all over my equipment and gives enough structure to the meat package to make it easy to lash onto the cargo chair. With a days worth of water in the desert, survival gear, deer cleaning kit, lunch, GPS and optics I'm about 30 LBS and enough room to stuff in my jacket if needed.

Sage: thats exactly what I need. I will get that, because I just know me, and I am not using the longhunter on most of my hunts because it is too bulky. Thanks for the help... Allen Taylor......

BCBOY, the new external frames come with excellent hip belts. This Jansport has the best I've seen. With proper adjustment your shoulders stay very comfortable. There can still be a problem with overbalancing though. Also, my last pack was a real bear on steep rocky ground. Sometimes when you're hugging the rocks, the top of the frame would hang up and cause stessful moments. This new pack doesn't have as tall a frame so hopefully that won't be an issue. The things I really like about x-frames is that I can tie a lot of stuff to the outside if I need to(especially horns and antlers) and there are lots of pockets on the outside to keep all my odds and ends in.
I have only had limited experience with the kifaru pack. One of my sheep hunting buddies used it on a fly in trip 2 years ago. His chief complaint was that there was limited access to the bag as it had no opening on the bottom. So consequently every time he wanted something out of it he had to remove and repack a whole bunch of stuff. On the whole though, he found it to be very comfortable and he could carry a whole pile of gear.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-03 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]Bura,I'll check out your pics on Tony's site. Are you an AZ guy as well?

Yeah Joe, I live in Mesa, AZ. Tony is finishing up on the coues book my friend wrote. I was at Tony's house a few weeks back and he mentioned maybe hunting bears with you or something. Allen Taylor......

He's coming to BC on a guided bear hunt and I think he's gonna stop by for a beer on the way through. BTW nice deer, It sure looks hot where you guys hunt, I don't know if I could handle that kind of weather.

Joe: I am originally from Olympia WA, so seeing where you hunt, the type of terrain is similar to alot of what I used to hunt. I never goat hunted, just deer, elk, bear but now I hunt in the desert. It has spoiled me, I kinda like the moderate year round temperatures and the ability to see long distances. You really get into the optics game in the desert, probably like sheep/goat hunting. Also, instead of hypothermia I worry about heat exposure now..........LOL....... Allen Taylor......

Out of curiosity how much was it? I am always looking for a pack for when I someday draw a sheep/goat tag.

The one I bought retails for around $300 Canadian which is about a buck and a quarter U.S. I paid $150 for it so if you're American you should be able to trade some poor Canuck a can of soup or a hockey puck and leave him feeling like he got a good deal. LOL

How big in cubic inches are most of your packs? Do you usually put the meat inside the pack or strap it to the exterior?

The Kifaru Longhunter is like 5000 or so, I will look it up. Usually you bone out and cape the animal. Pack the meat inside the pack in bags...The head/cape is the last loaded onto the pack........ Allen Taylor......

Most of the packs I have used are rated in litres rather than cubic inches. It's just one of those little differences between our countries. I honestly don't know what makes a big enough pack in inches but it has to be at least 100 litres for me. The Jansport looks just a little smaller than my last pack but if I pack smartly everything should fit just fine. I really like to have separate compartments inside the main part of my pack. That way I can get out only what I need when I need it. Like Bura Nut I usually pack the boned out meat of an animal in a game bag AND a plastic bag inside the pack and tie the anlers or horns to the outside. Once again the separate compartments come in handy as I don't have to unpack all the meat to get my raingear or a flashlight out. One other thing I like to have is a hook on the side of my frame that I can hang my rifle off of. This way I can avoid having to pack my rifle all the time but it is not tied to my pack so I can get it in an emergency.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom