New revised Burris Oracle 2 bowsight

jaeger63

I owned the original Burris Oracle bow sight and ended up selling it because of the pin brightness issue. Apparently they have resolved the issue and will be selling the new model called the Oracle 2. I can honestly say that I thought the original was a great sight and did exactly what it was supposed to do but the pin brightness would default back to a bright setting when you reactivated the sight. That was just an unacceptable flaw in low light hunting conditions. I look forward to seeing some independent studies on the new model to see if that issue was truly resolved.

I get a lot of emails/calls on these type of sights for clarification. If it’s important to you, just know any animal taken with the use of that sight cannot be entered into B&C or P&Y, as it violates their rules of fair chase. If that doesn’t matter, than rock on and have fun!

I get a lot of emails/calls on these type of sights for clarification. If it’s important to you, just know any animal taken with the use of that sight cannot be entered into B&C or P&Y, as it violates their rules of fair chase. If that doesn’t matter, than rock on and have fun!
Why is that? Does the same go for a rangefinding rifle scope?

BOHNTR,

I understand that this is their standing but I'm genuinely curious as to why B&C/P&Y don't consider these sights to be fair chase? My question to them would be what is the difference in me ranging the animal with my rangefinder and then shooting it? Or better yet, what about my hunting partner being right next to me feeding me constant ranges as I prepare to make the shot? You still have to make the shot count. The sight does not make that any easier at all in my opinion. All it does is provide a range and honestly makes a hunter more ethical because they don't have to guess. The shooter still has to have skill and ultimately did the same as any other hunter that has a rangefinder or is told a range just prior to shooting. So I am curious as to what advantage they believe the sight is providing over a handheld rangefinder. Do you know their thought process by chance?

I could not care less about what rules B&C or P&Y implement based on their perceived rules of fair chase. I think what a quality sight like that could potentially do is help a hunters make a more accurate shot resulting any cleaner kills, less wounded animals, etc. Bowhunting is already controversial in the eyes of many non hunters due to how many animals are wounded and not recovered due to inaccurate shot placement.

I could not care less about what rules B&C or P&Y implement based on their perceived rules of fair chase. I think what a quality sight like that could potentially do is help a hunters make a more accurate shot resulting any cleaner kills, less wounded animals, etc. Bowhunting is already controversial in the eyes of many non hunters due to how many animals are wounded and not recovered due to inaccurate shot placement.
agreed. I don't believe they should be viewed as not being fair chase. A hunter still has to get into bow range and make the shot and the sight doesn't help with either of those two things. That is why I am so curious why they think they are unfair. this is not new technology, it is just refined technology. if it gave hunters a huge advantage everyone would have one, but i've yet to meet anyone that has one. I have been wanting to buy one, but I wanted to let the technology improve a bit more so that i know if can trust it fully.

BOHNTR,

I understand that this is their standing but I'm genuinely curious as to why B&C/P&Y don't consider these sights to be fair chase? My question to them would be what is the difference in me ranging the animal with my rangefinder and then shooting it? Or better yet, what about my hunting partner being right next to me feeding me constant ranges as I prepare to make the shot? You still have to make the shot count. The sight does not make that any easier at all in my opinion. All it does is provide a range and honestly makes a hunter more ethical because they don't have to guess. The shooter still has to have skill and ultimately did the same as any other hunter that has a rangefinder or is told a range just prior to shooting. So I am curious as to what advantage they believe the sight is providing over a handheld rangefinder. Do you know their thought process by chance?
Without going into a long explanation, I believe it’s the fact that powered electronics are attached to the bow or rifle and aid in the taking of an animal. That’s where the line was drawn for each organization.

It’s just good information to know ahead of time, as it’s difficult to explain to someone after the fact of why it’s not eligible. There are lots of folks that state they don’t care......until they shoot or arrow a giant. ?. But honestly, if you wouldn’t enter a potential world record for various reasons, than I say keep on having fun and hunt on! Just trying to let those who may want to know the rules before it happens.

Without going into a long explanation, I believe it’s the fact that powered electronics are attached to the bow or rifle and aid in the taking of an animal. That’s where the line was drawn for each organization.

It’s just good information to know ahead of time, as it’s difficult to explain to someone after the fact of why it’s not eligible. There are lots of folks that state they don’t care......until they shoot or arrow a giant. ?. But honestly, if you wouldn’t enter a potential world record for various reasons, than I say keep on having fun and hunt on! Just trying to let those who may want to know the rules before it happens.
makes sense. really just curious is all. I knew that was the rule but never really knew why. The only time I might would enter something into the book is if it was a world record! And the likelihood of that ever happening is probably less than 0 so I don't worry about the Books whatsoever. I'm 100% okay with others entering their stuff though so it is definitely good info for those interested in entering their animals. I enjoy reading the record books and love the history and data they provide, I just don't guess my name will ever be entered regardless of what trophies I stumble on in my lifetime.

makes sense. really just curious is all. I knew that was the rule but never really knew why. The only time I might would enter something into the book is if it was a world record! And the likelihood of that ever happening is probably less than 0 so I don't worry about the Books whatsoever. I'm 100% okay with others entering their stuff though so it is definitely good info for those interested in entering their animals. I enjoy reading the record books and love the history and data they provide, I just don't guess my name will ever be entered regardless of what trophies I stumble on in my lifetime.
You just jinxed yourself.....a 210” mule deer is going to fall to your arrow now! ?.

agreed. I don't believe they should be viewed as not being fair chase. A hunter still has to get into bow range and make the shot and the sight doesn't help with either of those two things. That is why I am so curious why they think they are unfair. this is not new technology, it is just refined technology. if it gave hunters a huge advantage everyone would have one, but i've yet to meet anyone that has one. I have been wanting to buy one, but I wanted to let the technology improve a bit more so that i know if can trust it fully.
Money there is a good recent youtube video by Hal Woo of Burris that explains the upgrades they did on the newer model v/s older model. Im sure if you search you can find in. Its titled Oracle 1 v/s Oracle 2 or something like that

Big game record books are just one more thing that's wrong with what hunting has become. How many animals have been taken illegally just so people can get their name in the "book"? Countless that's how many. Not to mention the people who have altered antlers and cheated in other ways, it's pathetic.

Big game record books are just one more thing that's wrong with what hunting has become. How many animals have been taken illegally just so people can get their name in the "book"? Countless that's how many. Not to mention the people who have altered antlers and cheated in other ways, it's pathetic.
Sounds like a people problem to me. Integrity doesn’t care if there’s a book, a competition, a ‘big buck contest, etc.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom