New Rifle Dial In

PleaseDear

Long Time Member
I went in to shoot my 9mm Pistol @ the Indoor Range back in early December and Damm my luck but my FAV Rifle was on Sale.....

Robb
IMG_1081.HEIC.jpg

Ever Since I watched that movie 'Wind River' I wanted that Rifle in .45/70 caliber

About an hour and a half later I had it and was heading home.....
IMG_1080.HEIC.jpg

About a week later, I had my scope and bore sighted done and I fired a
IMG_1163.HEIC.jpg
few rounds off at the indoor 25 yard range just to get a feel.....

I finally got a chance to head up to an outdoor range and start getting it Dialed I
IMG_1160.HEIC.jpg
n out to 300 yards

I'll finish this up later as I gotta go for now

Robb

It's a 4 x 16 x 50 in the New Earth color.

Ya see them starting to show up on some of the Leopold sponsored hunting shows.

Robb

I got everything set-up and started @ 100 yards.

I quit using the weights on the Caldwell shooting rest after reading so many reports that it confined the energy back into the rifle/stock and some type of fractures had happened for other users.
IMG_1159.HEIC.jpg

After being satisfied with my grouping out to 300 yards on the .45/70 I wanted to check my zero on my AR-15 as I missed 2 Yotes over by Flaming Gorge back in February
IMG_1161.HEIC.jpg

All said and done with plenty of shots taken, I'm feeling good for the first big shoot and will continue shooting until they close the range down for the damn fire season!

Of course the big holes are the .45/70 and the small holes are the AR-15 .223

Robb
IMG_1162.HEIC.jpg

I'm mainly gonna use it for Bull Elk still hunting thru the dark timber and I'm looking into using it on a Bull Buff hunt in South Dakota around x-mas.

Fun times ahead!

Robb

I love marlins lever actions. I have the 45-70 also but the 1895 guide gun.

but I love my marlin 39a even more

PleaseDear I watched that same show and I've been looking at the same gun. They sure are cool! I've heard that they kick like a mule! Do you find this to be true?

I love marlins lever actions. I have the 45-70 also but the 1895 guide gun.

but I love my marlin 39a even more
Ive had my 39a (golden mountie) for close to 55 years. At some point I was cleaning it and had broken something. I got ahold of a Marlin catalog, it was a couple years old figured out the price, added a couple bucks and sent away for my part. I got the part and all the extra money I had sent. For a 9 year old kid, that was a big deal. I have a couple guide guns; one in .45/70 and one in .450 Marlin.

Its tough to get parts. My first 2 serial numbers is 21. Take 100 minus the 21 and equals a 1979 model. Mine is a golden 39a. Recently my carrier assembly has been acting up. Struggling to find parts. So i have gun smith adding a tack weld and some filing so the gun will feed. Everything works perfect just have to give it a smack to have it feed into the carrrier. Hopefully this does the trick

I started hunting with my Grampa's .30/30 lever action. I still have his rifle very old but I keep it clean.

I don't notice any more kick than my T/C Pro Hunter 7mag.

I'm dialing it in with Hornaday .45/70 GOVT 325 grn FTX's

They have some in 420 grain, I believe they are and I might just buy a box and shoot them @ the range to see the difference.

Robb

My personal experience with the Hornady FTX's are not good. I know some people swear by them. Good on the range but I wanted to be a bada$$ and try hunting with the 45-70. Shot a nice buck which turned into tracking and never finding him. I tried again with a doe tag. same story. I had well placed shots. so I switched to Remington 410 grain and never had a issue again

My personal experience with the Hornady FTX's are not good. I know some people swear by them. Good on the range but I wanted to be a bada$$ and try hunting with the 45-70. Shot a nice buck which turned into tracking and never finding him. I tried again with a doe tag. same story. I had well placed shots. so I switched to Remington 410 grain and never had a issue again

They come apart when hitting hard bone. I've killed a pile of elk with em, but I'm in the trees, well under 100yds, standing broadside rib shots, behind the front shoulder, no issues.

Thanks nfh, I'll grab a box of those 410 grains too.

That's what I'm using it for DW, thick timber hunting.

Robb

Pleasedear,

Was looking at my ammo on the rems. And its 405 grain not 410.

Hows your kick?

I shoot a 1895G (thinking on the classy peep sight set up). The kick doesnt exist. My 30-06 and .270 kick more.

My dad has the cowboy version. With that much longer ocatgon barrel his kick doesnt exist.

Im really looking at the 1895 .410. Just not sure what i would use it for though

I figured I was in the ballpark with the grain as maybe these are new or yours are older.

No biggie

Robb

Also keep in mind those hornadys have a shorter casing. So if ya reload pay attention. Dont mix your brass up

I just got home from a week up in Wyoming and I got my very first harvest with my .45/70

I lucked out in Wyoming so I didn't need to go to SD after all.

I used a 430 grain first shot and then finished with a 325 grain

I think the 325 grain did more mushrooming for sure.

Robb

IMG_6317.jpg

Last edited:
PleaseDear, I will give you a good hunting load for that Marlin 1895. I have used this load to take 3 buffalo with my Marlin 1895 LTD-V and Pedersoli 1874 Sharps rifle.
350 gr. Ranchdog RNFP cast lead bullet, sized to .460, with 43 gr. IMR-4198 powder. Also the Hornady 350 RNFP jacketed bullet is just as accurate in my rifles. Both loads will give me one inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Velocity is around 1850 fps.

RELH

Thanks for the kind words All

NO more pix ~~ Lame as it may seem but with this year I've had (LE bow Bull, Aoudad Ram, Oryx Bull and this Bull Buff) harvest wise, I'm strongly thinking about putting together a mag article, multi weapon/multi states/multi species, if it all falls in place that would be my 10th mag article over my hunting career, so I best slow down on pix! haha

If ya live close by, for sure reach out and swing by and get ya some free Buff meat!

It's like 0320 and I was expecting 1911 to be knocking by now!

Thanks again,

Robb

PS Bonnie hat from A-Prime and the shells Hornaday 325 grain and Bear Down I believe they are called 430 grain.

Hell of a load there REHL

Robb,

So you had luck with the hornadys to where i didnt. Its interesting to see other results from other people. Thanks for sharing which loads you used.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom