New rifle for general purpose

hossblur

Long Time Member
16, 5 10", 205

I have to honor a tradition, a new rifle for 16yr old.

I've tried for years to talk up 7mm. I shoot an 06', and while fine, I've preferred the 7mm.

He's dead set on an x bolt, which I'm great with.

But he's leaning towards a 300 win mag.

I told him it has to be ported.

We hunt mostly elk with rifles, deer with muzzy.

Im actually ok with the 300, except I worry about kick.

Let's here it

Has he ever shot one? Could you borrow one for him to shoot? I'd start there.

73, 5'8", 155 here. Love my .300 Win Mag (Rem 700)

What does he currently shoot? Nothing wrong with a 300Win if the shooter has good form and habits already. If they are recoil sensitive they can develop bad habits with a larger magnum rifle. The 7mm Rem mag is a great choice also.

Been shooting a 300WM since I was 19. Over the years I have gained and lost weight. I can tell you the years that I've lost weight I've taken a pounding from the winnie. Your son is 205 so felt recoil won't be that bad. Just make sure he shoulders that rifle firmly or else!

Has he ever shot one? Could you borrow one for him to shoot? I'd start there.

73, 5'8", 155 here. Love my .300 Win Mag (Rem 700)

We shoot 100's of 3" shotguns.

I'm old school, pre porting. 300 hurt.

With it, I'm more open to it

I wouldn't ever put a brake on a hunting rifle if the kick is to bad put on a limbsaver recoil pad and hold it firm. I have a 300 weatherby no brake no pad. Sure it kickes but not to bad. I'm 6'1'' 207

Why wouldn’t you put a break on? I’ve been shooting magnums for years. Some with some with out. Now they all get them and it actually doesn’t have anything to do with felt recoils. I usually hunt by myself. With a break my scope doesn’t come off the target. Theres a lot to be said for being able to see your shot hit

One gun smith I know actually put them on all his 22’s for that exact reason. I asked “ why a break on a 223?” At the range one day. He said “ I shoot orarie dogs to see them pop, that’s the fun part” this was pre suppressor craze. After that really dawned on me all my guns get them.

Why wouldn’t you put a break on? I’ve been shooting magnums for years. Some with some with out. Now they all get them and it actually doesn’t have anything to do with felt recoils. I usually hunt by myself. With a break my scope doesn’t come off the target. Theres a lot to be said for being able to see your shot hit
Thats true I have a gun I bought with a brake and I took it off this year because I jumped a coyote and out of excitement and being in a hurry I forgot to put my ear plugs in. And right there I decided I would rather have my arm alittle sore than lose my hearing. It is really just personal opinion. But that is true about being able to see where u hit.

I have a Christensen Arms Mesa in a .300 Win Mag and it came with a brake. My wife hunted with it and she was fine. She's 5'1" and 110 lbs. It is definitely loud, but I wear ear protection hunting and I make my wife and kids wear ear protection as well so the noise is a non-issue.

I have a Christensen Arms Mesa in a .300 Win Mag and it came with a brake. My wife hunted with it and she was fine. She's 5'1" and 110 lbs. It is definitely loud, but I wear ear protection hunting and I make my wife and kids wear ear protection as well so the noise is a non-issue.

I've tried to talk him into Christensen. They are Utah company, supporting families in Utah.

Again, DAMN KIDS

I've tried to talk him into Christensen. They are Utah company, supporting families in Utah.

Again, DAMN KIDS

I’m not necessarily promoting a Christensen Arms gun, but I’ve had really good luck with mine. It’s been one of my favorite rifles.

Mabey ask Jim or Eva what they’d buy? ?

Jim wouldn't buy anything. He'd steal a gun from a client then explain it as a Covid symptom.

Eva? She'd go with whatever matched her outfit. I actually listened to her interview with Gritty Bowman years ago. She's no hunter, admitted it herself. She and Jim saw a market(dudes with fantasies)

Kinda shocked my Shockey distaste triggered you so much.

Working in construction, I would have thought you'd know lots of crook contractors taking money upfront, then shafting customers. That's where my dislike for what he was pushing comes from

Jim wouldn't buy anything. He'd steal a gun from a client then explain it as a Covid symptom.

Eva? She'd go with whatever matched her outfit.

Kinda shocked my Shockey distaste triggered you so much.

Working in construction, I would have thought you'd know lots of crook contractors taking money upfront, then shafting customers. That's where my dislike for what he was pushing comes from
Lmao… talk about triggered, you need to stop loosing sleep over the Shockey’s it’s not worth it…

you know i think depending on the model of the x bolt i bet 300 would be fine .as long as it’s not a light/ultra light gun.

my great uncles 300wm was a lighter rifle and would tear your shoulder up. shot my cousins 300 and his rifle had a pound or two more and it’s wasn’t so bad, neither muzzy breaks.

my other uncles .270 was the same model rifle as the lighter 300wm and it kicked about as much as my 06.

Well, I have a 300 and when I'm shooting at game with it, I don't even notice the kick. However, at the range it can get old. I would get a break or smaller gun to be honest. I am 6'3 218 lbs I have had a 270 WSM with a break and a 6.5 creedmoor (yes I have a 6.5??) with a break and liked them much much more than the 300 without a break. Where you're mainly hunting elk with the rifle I wouldn't go down to the 6.5 creedmoor. But I would probably go smaller or the 300 with a break. I just shoot more accurate with a gun that doesn't kick as hard, and they are much more fun to shoot at the range.

I always laugh at the “be a man and don’t worry about recoil” crowd. They’re usually the same fools that bag on Facebook but post 30+ times per week here.

If he wants 300 win mag, throw a quality muzzle brake on that puppy and let him go to work. Nothing wrong with making your gun more comfortable and accurate to shoot. The X Bolt comes with a factory brake, but I’m guessing there are more quality brakes out there in the aftermarket. An x bolt in 300 win mag would be a FANTASTIC elk gun. It would do the job for deer too if he ever wants to move over to rifle hunting. That said, the 7mm is great for both as well. I have the x bolt in 7mm and I like it a lot.

I do agree that a 300 is a good choice. Being 16 I imagine he doesn’t have a bunch of rifles yet. A quality rifle in 300 win is a great choice that can do it all on any game on the continent. Load up heavy or light, if he wants to get into some longer range shooting ( and of course he will) it’s a great platform

16, 5 10", 205

I've tried for years to talk up 7mm. I shoot an 06', and while fine, I've preferred the 7mm.

Let's here it
I would first instill healthier eating habits. 5’ 10” and 205? He’s a little chunky. Get the kid on the right track eating healthy and it will pay dividends later on in life.

i wished instead of a 06 that i got a 300 that way i could feel better and have an excuse for a smaller caliber.

a single caliber hard to beat 7mm or 06

Hoss

5'10" 205 I shoot a 300 win mag and if the rifle stock fits you the kick is a lot less. Take some time and look at them in the store have him try several and see how they fit.
Just like shoes if they fit no blisters if they don't well you know what you get.
My son and I both shoot 300 win mags flat shooting, carries the bullet you want what ever it is and it does knock them down.
My Uncle made a rifle for me and fit it to me and I never felt the kick other than pushing you back a little.....LOL

I shot the big 300’s when I was a late teen and early 20s with no problem, my last one being a 30-378 Wheatherby. I moved to the 7MM Remingtons in my 40’s and my wife and girls all shoot The 7MM-08. I would most definitely put a muzzle break on in, not only will it reduce recoil, but it will keep you on target when looking through the scope. Over the years I’ve seen a lot of men flinch or just not shoot well with the 300 Win, but the guys that practice and shoot a lot can really put that bullet out there, it sounds like your son is a stout young man, he will have no problem either will that 210 grain Berger Bullet.

Lmao… talk about triggered, you need to stop loosing sleep over the Shockey’s it’s not worth it…

No loss of sleep. Never cared at all about him until his letter. I was surprised he was dumb enough to expose his true character in print though.

I always laugh at the “be a man and don’t worry about recoil” crowd. They’re usually the same fools that bag on Facebook but post 30+ times per week here.

If he wants 300 win mag, throw a quality muzzle brake on that puppy and let him go to work. Nothing wrong with making your gun more comfortable and accurate to shoot. The X Bolt comes with a factory brake, but I’m guessing there are more quality brakes out there in the aftermarket. An x bolt in 300 win mag would be a FANTASTIC elk gun. It would do the job for deer too if he ever wants to move over to rifle hunting. That said, the 7mm is great for both as well. I have the x bolt in 7mm and I like it a lot.

You kinda nailed my hesitation. He's 15, going on 16. I want him to not be buying a gun as a sign of "manhood". And he's a pretty good shot, don't want to pick up the flinches

I bought a Ruger 300 win mag a few years ago. I've put on every limb saver item I can purchase, and it's almost bearable to shoot. It's the only rifle that I've owned that shook my molars when I was shooting at a buck. The rifle has been pretty much retired in my gun safe now.
It's a great caliber and I'm sure there are better rifle options than the one I have. Good luck with your purchase. I love the tradition that you are carrying on.

hwy

Like any 16 year old, tell him what he should have and give him what he wants. At some point he may say "you were right Dad".

I bought a Ruger 300 win mag a few years ago. I've put on every limb saver item I can purchase, and it's almost bearable to shoot. It's the only rifle that I've owned that shook my molars when I was shooting at a buck. The rifle has been pretty much retired in my gun safe now.
It's a great caliber and I'm sure there are better rifle options than the one I have. Good luck with your purchase. I love the tradition that you are carrying on.

hwy

That's been my experience with them.

But I also know breaks, pads, guns, are much better since I was exposed to them

93B200FE-76E9-488F-A030-185F0094D6E3.jpeg
X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed 7-08. Sexy AF.
93B200FE-76E9-488F-A030-185F0094D6E3.jpeg

does a muzzle break reduce the kick?

iv only got a muzzle break on my a5 browning and i thought a muzzle break only lessens the barrel jumping making it easy for follow up shots? never used on a rifle. make that ungodly loud

does a muzzle break reduce the kick?
BRAKE

And Yes it Reduces Recoil!

Alot Of FLAT-BRIMMERS are getting them put on their .223/s & 6.5's!

iv only got a muzzle break on my a5 browning and i thought a muzzle break only lessens the barrel jumping making it easy for follow up shots? never used on a rifle. make that ungodly loud

300 is great glad to see the next generation getting into the sport I have had a 300 since I was I was 25 I think an 06 is more versatile not much you can’t take down with it and minimal waste on meat plus an upside ammo is a lot cheaper good luck on the hunt!

I am also in the .300 win mag is best all around gun. I have one. Still my go to. 7mm is right there and many of the newer 28 nosler, 30 nosler, 300 PRC etc.

Now for a brake. I have a Christensen arms and a browning with brake that comes with it from the factory. LOUD and maybe helps with recoil a bit, but not much. My son's 28 nosler we put an after market brake (little bastard - the brake's name, not my son :0) - holy crap, that gun does not kick. Dream to shoot with. No way should you shoot that thing without ear protection.

So when I am hunting and if a buck stands up at 75 yards, do I stop and put on ear protection. That buck would mostly likely be gone.

So for now, with my .300 win mag, I use a sissy pad at the gun range and only shoot it a few times. No muzzle brake and I hunt with no ear protection.

The good thing, with a 16 year old and a new gun, that muzzy brake has made it so we can go to the range and shoot for hours. It has been great as my son is very confident in his gun and has shot it a lot. I don't love the need for ear protection, but I don't regret the decision.

My dad bought me a 300 win mag on my 16th birthday as well. Muzzle break and it’s a go to gun for any animal you can hunt in North America

16, 5 10", 205

Let's here it
Ive got 5 .300 winnies...my first was an M70 I got in 1983 or so. Great gun, very accurate and shoots 130hps like crazy. It was my coyote/prairie dog/elk/deer/bear gun. I was about your son's size when I got it, a bit taller, and never had a problem with recoil. It was stout, to be sure, but manageable with the stock pad.

Arrestors are great. Just be SURE he doesn’t try to be macho and use it without protection. My brother did ONCE and is now getting hearing aids.

Another choice is to get a brake you can take off for the hunt. He won’t notice recoil when shooting at game

Good luck: Browning is a fine choice. I don’t shoot breaks, sounds like a good choice. Does your son shoot shotguns?, how does he do with a 12 on goose loads?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom