New Rifle with a Can? What should I get?

elks96

Long Time Member
So I am getting ready to build a rifle with a suppressor. The purpose for this rifle is for my daughter (age 16) and my son (age 11). They currently share a 243 and has been a great set up for us, but we want to add some power specifically for elk...

I have been wanting a can for a while and will be ordering one. My wife and I both shoot the 270. We shot the exact same load and both our guns are awesome to 400 yards. I am not worried about distance of shots, we will keep the kids under 300.

I thought a lot about another 270 and using the same load as my wife and I shoot. A 270 with a suppressor should be really low recoil, but we are limited a bit on bullet weights.

On the flip side if we are doing a can, I am tempted to get a larger caliber and a heavier bullet...

What do you think? Maybe I would just do both a larger caliber and another 270?

Also I am not one to chase the new shiny thing. I like good old proven calibers that are common and easy to find. Never had any interest in chasing the short mag trend, the current 6.5 obsession seems crazy to me...

What would you do?

I vote for the 270. I have taken a ton of big game with one with 130 gr. Never ever had any problems. When I went to Alaska the first time I talked myself into getting a Mark V Weatherby 300 Mag....beautiful rifle but a big mistake. It would leave my shoulder black & blue and thus I learned to flinch. Jack O'Conner was the big deal at Outdoor Life in those days and he swore by the 270...if it was good enough for jack...........

I would suggest a 300 WSM. All the short mags tend to use shorter barrels that do not compromise on velocity. The can will add significant weight and length to the end of a gun and anything you can do to limit overall length is a good idea.

Not that you will notice a difference but a can will be more efficient if you are shooting the cal it is rated for.

Just go ahead and order a .30 cal can so that way it will fit a .30 cal or less. The wait time is brutal. ATF is just now getting to january 2021 forms. Expect a 10 to 12 month wait

Not going to get into the rifle caliber, but I feel qualified to talk about suppressors as a dealer and addict. Thunderbeast Ultra 7 or 9 in 30 caliber. That suppressor will handle everything from 300 ultra mag down to .223.
If you happen to be in the salt lake area, I have numerous demo suppressors you can try and hear with your own ears before you buy

For cans, check out the SiCo Harvester. Good dB reduction, light weight, and extra recoil reduction. This is the one I use for my hunting rifles.

Not going to get into the rifle caliber, but I feel qualified to talk about suppressors as a dealer and addict. Thunderbeast Ultra 7 or 9 in 30 caliber. That suppressor will handle everything from 300 ultra mag down to .223.
If you happen to be in the salt lake area, I have numerous demo suppressors you can try and hear with your own ears before you buy

What do you think of the rugged radiant supperssor?

What do you think of the rugged radiant supperssor?
I like the Rugged line for my hard use AR's. Run a surge and radiant on select fire M4's.
I have a bolt action 5.56 that I do demos on the radiant. It sounds nice. Just heavier than the Thunderbeasts

I like the Rugged line for my hard use AR's. Run a surge and radiant on select fire M4's.
I have a bolt action 5.56 that I do demos on the radiant. It sounds nice. Just heavier than the Thunderbeasts

Good to hear. I tried a lot of cans and that model just felt the best plus 300 rum down to a .223 was a big plus

Hmmm. What about letting your kids have your 270, and you can upgrade to a 300 WM. Win-Win! Kids get an upgrade, and so do you!

Hey Foundation, what do you think of the Silencer Central Banish 30? For use on a 7mm Rem Man and 300 Win Mag

Last edited:
Hmmm. What about letting your kids have your 270, and you can upgrade to a 300 WM. Win-Win! Kids get an upgrade, and so do you!

Hey Foundation, what do you think of the Silencer Central Banish 30? For use on a 7mm Rem Man and 300 Win Mag
I am a lefty they are both righty… so I can’t

My girls and wife started with the 243, I asked the same question to some old timers and they both said the 7MM-08. They all now have their own 7MM-08’s with muzzle breaks, they have dropped almost every animal they have shot at including a big Bull Moose last week, what an awesome caliber.

My vote would be for a 7mm-08, 270 or 308. What's the typical percentage of recoil reduction with a suppressor installed on a say a 7 or 300 mag?

Seems the trend lately is to use to a magnum round with a 20-22" barrel then adding a suppressor. 300 WSM appears to be a popular choice when doing this.

If you’re going to be shooting factory ammo primarily id go 6.5prc or 280 ackley improved. If you’re a reloaded I would build either a 6.5saum or 7mm saum.

I have a rugged radiant 7.62 and a thunderbeast ultra. I like them both and they have not changed point of impact when taking them off and putting them back on.
Point of impact will change though when shooting
un-surppressed and suppressed obviously.

I'm almost don with a 6.5RPM that I converted from a .270win. My new can should be here in 6-100 weeks??? I hate that process!! Another build to look at would be a 6.8 Western. Looks like the 6.5 is already outdated!

I'm almost don with a 6.5RPM that I converted from a .270win. My new can should be here in 6-100 weeks??? I hate that process!! Another build to look at would be a 6.8 Western. Looks like the 6.5 is already outdated!
Man I thought about the 6.8 but I hate the idea of chasing the latest shiny object.

I am pretty certain I am gonna with a 270 and hoping the load that we shoot from both my wife’s gun and my gun will shoot nice in it. Nothing like having everyone share the same ammo.

Man I thought about the 6.8 but I hate the idea of chasing the latest shiny object.

I am pretty certain I am gonna with a 270 and hoping the load that we shoot from both my wife’s gun and my gun will shoot nice in it. Nothing like having everyone share the same ammo.
270wsm would be a slick rig too ??‍♂️

Well I'm really enjoying my newest addition , not sure if it's the new and shiny or old and overrated but this i know, its accurate and a total joy to shoot...thanks Foundation. I bought the Tikka in 6.5 Cm and (140 / 143 gr) bullets touching on every 3 shot group. Sweet rifle for sure . Only accurate rifles are interesting .

Well I'm really enjoying my newest addition , not sure if it's the new and shiny or old and overrated but this i know, its accurate and a total joy to shoot...thanks Foundation. I bought the Tikka in 6.5 Cm and (140 / 143 gr) bullets touching on every 3 shot group. Sweet rifle for sure . Only accurate rifles are interesting .
I was curious how you were liking it. Glad to hear its a shooter. Ill keep one for myself soon.

Right, the main difference between the WSM and the 6.8 western, the western has a shorter twist rate for longer heavier high BC bullets. People could always order a WSM barrel with a faster twist rate.

The 6.8 western is just a gimmick in my opinion. You’re exactly right though, you can achieve the same level of performance with a 270wsm with a faster twist rate barrel. The 27/6.8 seems to be the new thing to try and reinvent with the addition of the 27 nosler, 277 fury and 6.8 western entering the market place.

The 6.8 western is just a gimmick in my opinion. You’re exactly right though, you can achieve the same level of performance with a 270wsm with a faster twist rate barrel. The 27/6.8 seems to be the new thing to try and reinvent with the addition of the 27 nosler, 277 fury and 6.8 western entering the market place.
With a faster twist 270wsm it would out perform the 6.8 western…

I just built a 1:6.5 270wsm, I haven’t started any load development yet…

We’ll see how she does this winter…

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom