• Howa

• Weatherby

• Ruger

• Browning

• Savage

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

1shot1miss

I’m sure this has been posted so many times but I am in search of a new long range rifle and my biggest problem is, I know nothing about long range rifles, I’ve always been more of an archery and Muzz with the occasional average range rifle hunting. I am willing to spend plenty but not overspend when I can get just as good for a cheaper price. With that said what brands should I be looking at most and what caliber for a do it all type of rifle for elk, deer, antelope, etc. I do not have reloading supplies right now I hope to get in to that soon but just factory ammo for now

I’m sure this has been posted so many times but I am in search of a new long range rifle and my biggest problem is, I know nothing about long range rifles, I’ve always been more of an archery and Muzz with the occasional average range rifle hunting. I am willing to spend plenty but not overspend when I can get just as good for a cheaper price. With that said what brands should I be looking at most and what caliber for a do it all type of rifle for elk, deer, antelope, etc. I do not have reloading supplies right now I hope to get in to that soon but just factory ammo for now
I’m a big fan of the REM 7 MM Mag , 24 “ barrel, with a great muzzle brake too, & a 6 X- 18 X Variable power Burris Scope & a Harris Bipod attached to fore end of rifle.
Also, the Ruger M 77 Rifle in 7 MM Mag with the add ons I described above. Fabulous rifles !
A true bolt of lightning!
I’ve used these 2 rifles for many years on all sorts of game from Texas to Alaska & Canada ??. Standard loads always is/was max loaded
hand loads with 140-150-160 Nosler Partitions.
Fabulous killers ! Never a problem. Trust my life on these rifles & loads. Just sight in your rifle for 3” high at 100 yards, then it hits 4” high at 200 yards, -2” at 300 yards, -12 inches at 400 yards.
Also, get an expert gunsmith to adjust the trigger pulls to 1 1/2 pounds let off- that’s all, no more !
Great for expert shots / kills on any target ?.
This is a combination that never fails- when you hit the target. Have fun !
Good Hunting & Best Wishes,
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado

I think it might be best to develop an opinion for yourself before you spend "plenty" of dough on a rifle.
Have you got the ability to hang around some "real" long range shooters and see what they use and how meticulous they are about EVERYTHING?
This would put you quantum leaps ahead of a simple poll on MM.
So many great guns and cartridges out there so you probably need to better define the usage of your new rig.
IMHO, I think the scope selection is every bit as important as the rifle brand but NOTHING trumps trigger time, nothing.
If you're not out popping caps every week, you're not that serious!

There's my 2 cents, for free.
Zeke

Buying expensive equipment doesn’t equate accuracy. It can sure help, but I think if you want to master long range shooting it requires ton of shooting. Like the above said factory rifles and ammo will get you to a certain point but if you want to be meticulous which is what real long range requires 500+ yard shooting, then I think you may want to look else where for 500 and in I think many of the brands you mention will do just fine, tikka would be up there… heck just about anything on that list would serve you well… maybe steer clear of Remington haven’t heard much good about them since going bankrupt and changing hands several times

I think 7mag is the best overall round for North America. Your scope has to be true and easy to use in the field. I really like My Huskemaw 4-16 it was set up and matched to rounds by Best of the West and turret burned. Range Click fire. I went shooting with a buddy who had a Nightforce and he was screwing with all sorts of stuff while I was hitting the long gongs. Keep it simple. I think BOW will set up of with a scope even if it is not their rifle.

Get a Tikka 7 mag with muzzle break a Huskemaw on top 4-16 or 5-25 and you will become feared by all. Scope and gun and mounts your looking at about 22-2500...it will be your go to gun forever

If you're seriously wanting long range save your pennies and build a custom rifle. If you're talking anything under 1000 yards any of these brands will work just fine topped with good glass. I hear great things about tikka and that will be my next purchase.

Like pauns08 says...save your money and buy a full custom gun. I did this last year and the quality of a custom gun with top-of-the-line components is incredible. For caliber get a 280 ai. It'll shoot as fast or even faster than a 7 mm mag with less powder.

Like pauns08 says...save your money and buy a full custom gun. I did this last year and the quality of a custom gun with top-of-the-line components is incredible. For caliber get a 280 ai. It'll shoot as fast or even faster than a 7 mm mag with less powder.
I agree for the most part everyone should get one GREAT gun it is a game changer. But with hard to get ammo and such I still think the 7mag is the best caliber for NA hunting and you have LESS trouble finding ammo and if your focus is on hunting small ballistics difference make no difference with the variable in the field and real conditions

I like tikka. Have bought 3. Seekins is my new favorite. You need to pick caliber and bullet before purchase. Example. You want to shoot a 28 nosler and 195 grains. You need a barrel with a sufficient twist rate and a magazine that is long enough. I like 7mm or 30 caliber, but if deer was the largest animal I would go 6.5mm.

My last gun I wanted a silencer and total weight around 8 pounds with a 20 power minimum scope bullet eight of at least 170 grains with velocity around 3200 fps. Ended up with a seekins element in 28 nosler and trijicon scope. 7 mm or lots of those variations were very close and maybe better with a 22” barrel, but my son shoots a 28 and I have the reloading stuff already. I am still working out load and dope.

Long range is 1000 yards for me. Lots of ‘box’ guns do great. Have fun with research and putting it all together.

Not true, not even close to true.
It actually is pretty true, i don't know about the 280ai shooting faster but its definitely comparable and with less powder. I've got both and my 7mm shoots 65gr of powder at 2950 fps and my 280ai shoots 2925 fps with 58gr of powder.

It actually is pretty true, i don't know about the 280ai shooting faster but its definitely comparable and with less powder. I've got both and my 7mm shoots 65gr of powder at 2950 fps and my 280ai shoots 2925 fps with 58gr of powder.
What bullet weight? Barrel length?

7mm is 24" and 280ai is 26" both 162 gr eld-x
This falls right in line with my experience, a 7 RM at 24" is still faster than a 280 AI at 26" with mid weight bullets. Load em both with a 180 and the same barrel length and the lower capacity of the AI will hold it back significantly.

I really like the 280 AI for 150-168 grain bullets but if you want to shoot 180s or 195s you need more capacity.

This falls right in line with my experience, a 7 RM at 24" is still faster than a 280 AI at 26" with mid weight bullets. Load em both with a 180 and the same barrel length and the lower capacity of the AI will hold it back significantly.

I really like the 280 AI for 150-168 grain bullets but if you want to shoot 180s or 195s you need more capacity.
Yep I'll 100% agree with that, the 280ai isn't made for the heavier bullets, if you want to shoot 180-195's definitely go with the 7mm or the 28 nosler

Yep I'll 100% agree with that, the 280ai isn't made for the heavier bullets, if you want to shoot 180-195's definitely go with the 7mm or the 28 nosler

I'm fairly new to reloading and most of my rifle hunting before 2021 was all just done with factory loads. I never really got into ballistics and long range stuff....I just wanted to hunt. With that said, what am I missing when I look at this Nosler and Barnes load data for the 7 mm RM and the 280 ai with heavy bullets? When you look at the same bullet and the same powder, the 280 ai is slightly faster? Are these tables super conservative and the 7 mm RM can be loaded hotter than what is being shown here based on the load density #s?

7mm RM and 280 ai.jpg

I'm fairly new to reloading and most of my rifle hunting before 2021 was all just done with factory loads. I never really got into ballistics and long range stuff....I just wanted to hunt. With that said, what am I missing when I look at this Nosler and Barnes load data for the 7 mm RM and the 280 ai with heavy bullets? When you look at the same bullet and the same powder, the 280 ai is slightly faster? Are these tables super conservative and the 7 mm RM can be loaded hotter than what is being shown here based on the load density #s?

View attachment 94069
What they put in the reloading manuals is generally very conservative.

View attachment 94069
Reloading manuals are written under the supervision of lawyers to prevent litigation.

I am in search of a new long range rifle and my biggest problem is, I know nothing about long range rifles,
As has been mentioned, being able to shoot long range is not as simple as just buying a rig that can do it. I think in today's climate, too many hunters assume that if they have the rifle with a turret, then they are good to flail away at long range.
A rifle of any make CAN be accurate enough, but from an off the shelf rifle there is never a guarantee.
There is so much more to being proficient at long range than just buying a rifle, I would make sure you go into this with your eyes wide open.
Good luck

My question is why is there not more talk about SAKO. I bought a SAKO 300 Weatherby 20 years ago and that is still my favorite gun the fit feel is great, the trigger pull has never been adjusted and it is clean and crisp and SAKO bolt is as smooth or smoother than any box gun out there and probably most costume guns.
I have shot factory ammunition of all kinds and of all grain (200 seems to be its favorite).
I have just got into reloading i have been doing it a little more than 3 years now and I can throw together any concoction of powder grain, projectile grain and it don't seem to matter. Once you sight it in the accuracy is always right on.
Maybe it is the caliber not the gun?
You don't hear much said about SAKO's but when you do it is always positive no negative stories.
So is it just bad PR or am I missing something.
I have through the years sense purchasing the SAKO bought several different guns and a couple that cost more than the SAKO but in the future I will be buying another SAKO.
I have noticed Sportsmans Warehouse has been carrying a few more than they have in the past. I am getting kind of itching for a new gun.

SAKO manufactures Tikka so in a way they are represented. Obviously you have had a great experience with your Sako but they are more expensive than a Tikka. Many claim the Tikka shoots and operates as well as a Sako for less money.
Money talks but certainly there are not many flies on a Sako.

As has been mentioned, being able to shoot long range is not as simple as just buying a rig that can do it. I think in today's climate, too many hunters assume that if they have the rifle with a turret, then they are good to flail away at long range.
A rifle of any make CAN be accurate enough, but from an off the shelf rifle there is never a guarantee.
There is so much more to being proficient at long range than just buying a rifle, I would make sure you go into this with your eyes wide open.
Good luck
Thanks everybody for your input! I completely understand there is so much more to it than the rifle, I am in no hurry and am taking my time doing my research before making decisions. And I am totally prepared for a lot trigger time because I understand that is a HUGE part of it.

Tikka T3X in 7MM, 300 Win or 7PRC (7PRC will be my next gun) with a break and Zeiss V4 scope. Awesome factory setup that will shoot great long range. You can build it yourself or check out ALR Affordable Long Range. I’ve shot this setup since 2013 in 7mm and had awesome results with it.

I think most people see SAKO as why buy one when I can buy a tikka T3x and a good scope for it ( 1k ) for the same price. You mention long range and elk in the same sentence - I would start at 300 win or 300 PRC. I would guess the 300 PRC will shoot very well "out of the box" from just about any factory rifle because of the modern engineering and chamber/throat has been designed around the Hornady factory ammo. But myself and most on guys on here have a custom rifle and shoot handloads or least one or the other that shoot over 500 yards and would take those shots confidently in a hunting situation. For long range hunting I shoot a 7mm Ultra with a 195 Berger. 8 twist barrel to stabilize it. You did not mention scope, you will need something reliable and repeatable. A zero stop turret is something to look for also. When you get your rifle and want to shoot factory find that lot number of that exact load that shoots the best with a hunting bullet (again an elk bullet ) in quantity and buy a couple CASES of that lot number.

Whether a really nice "out of the box" rifle or a full custom (I have both), for me...shooting 500-1000 rounds a year is a good reminder that A) I am not nearly as good a shot as I'd like to be and B) 600-1000 yards is a LOOOONNNNGGGGG way if you are trying to hit an 8" steel target. Variables that effect bullet flight become a significant factor. Wind at those distances will (should) start to humble 99% of the hunters out there very quickly. Apps/calculators certainly make a huge difference if you've used them enough and tweaked them for how your specific gun ultimately performs and you carry (and have time to use) tools like a Kestrel. I have not found my calculators to be dead on, so to speak, with the velocities, BC's, etc. that initially get punched into them and ultimately I always tweak what gets stored after shooting and seeing what the bullet drops/drifts are actually doing vs what they were supposed to be doing. Maybe this doesn't apply to a lot of you, but unless I am shooting multiple thousands of rounds through your rifle annually, under varying conditions (especially wind)....I would be lying if I said that I was extremely confident shooting past 600 yards and hitting exactly where I want. When I see a lot of folks harvesting animals on youtube, etc., at long range.....it sure seems like they are just hoping "to get a bullet in the animal". Very few of those shots end up in the "boiler room" and it is very common to see bullet #2 or #3 being the first to connect. That isn't congruent with my expectations as a hunter but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Um, multiple thousands of rounds a year in one rifle may be a little extreme not to mention pointless since you will have shot out your barrel before you even get to go hunting. But, different strokes….

Um, multiple thousands of rounds a year in one rifle may be a little extreme not to mention pointless since you will have shot out your barrel before you even get to go hunting. But, different strokes….
Never said the same gun...;) and barrels are relatively cheap

Never said the same gun...;) and barrels are relatively cheap
Well then you’d have to spread that out over lots of guns and then by internet standards not be able to ethically shoot over 200 yards… and once you put a new barrel on start all over again.

I just think it’s funny the “standards” guys that can’t shoot long range think must be applied. I don’t know if I shoot “a lot”. I don’t have any friends to compare to and I don’t “follow” anyone. I know I shoot enough, I know I’ve taken game with one shot (cold bore by the way which actually what should be practiced) over 950 and had all the confidence in the world doing it. 600’s not even a second thought

The 7PRC is likely going to become quite popular, might want to wait a bit and see what rifles are chambered for it before you make a purchase. Christiansen Ridgeline FFT or Tikka Ember would make fine choices.

Well then you’d have to spread that out over lots of guns and then by internet standards not be able to ethically shoot over 200 yards… and once you put a new barrel on start all over again.

I just think it’s funny the “standards” guys that can’t shoot long range think must be applied. I don’t know if I shoot “a lot”. I don’t have any friends to compare to and I don’t “follow” anyone. I know I shoot enough, I know I’ve taken game with one shot (cold bore by the way which actually what should be practiced) over 950 and had all the confidence in the world doing it. 600’s not even a second thought
Badass Alert!!

I'll be your friend. Merry Christmas

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom