New smoke pole

RabidRattleSnake1

My boy struck out on the draw here in NM so I am looking at left over tags for him. There are several muzzy tags for a couple of units I bow hunt regularly so I figure I will pick up a new rifle and give it a go. Bang for the buck what are your guys opinion on rifles under $500? I don't want to spend a lot since the rifle won't get used all that much. I was leaning towards the TC Impact, but I am open to other suggestions.

I am new to the world of muzzleloaders and have been very happy with my CVA Optima V2 - it does everything I could ever ask/need out of a muzzleloader and I paid $189 NIB off gunbroker.

The Impact is a helluva rifle for the money. Just about everything I stuff down that barrel shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with 90grs of Blackhorn 2009. You can remove the 1" spacer to shorten up the stock for kids and women shooters.

So far I really like my CVA Accura V2. I got the Breetch plug specific for the Blackhorn 209 powder and the only problem I have is my front sight is too high to use with my peep sight. So I have to spend 20 bucks on a smaller Williams front sight in order to bring my groups up almost a foot. Like it better then the T/C Hawken of old.

Could any of you explain the difference between a CVA Optima V2 and a CVA Accura V2 muzzle loader rifle? Is the Accura a later edition of the Optima? Which is preferred to hunt elk with in Colorado (open sights)?

I have been hunting with a muzzleloader for 20 plus years and I can say the Knight Disc Elite is the weapon of choice. I have never been happier. They no longer make these but occasionally you can find one on Gunbroker. The Disc Extreme is also a good choice. 100 grains of 777 FFFG, MFP sabot and a 300 grain .452 Gold Dot. You won't be disappointed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom