New to applying in MT. ???

HUNT

The MT game & fish site is confusing would someone be interested in answering a few questions about nonresident applications?
If so I am wondering about a specific area I believe it is 650. Wondering about archery antelope and rifle mule deer. I may have some private land access and would also look at public. I have no points. Are points needed to draw this area for either?
Draw odds for drawing?

Thank you for your time it is greatly

Montana has one of the more confusing application systems, so don't feel bad about not understanding it. I would help but I am not really qualified as a Montana expert, maybe someone will chime in....

650 is a general area for deer. I think it is tougher to draw a general deer tag then the combo tag (which includes elk). But it is possible to draw it with no points. You will have a higher probability of pulling the nonresident archery antelope tag. If you are in a hurry to hunt you should apply for both and see what you pull (most likely only one of them). If you have a couple years before you need to hunt you could buy 2 points and then your chances of drawing both for that year would be very high.

650 is a general area for deer. I think it is tougher to draw a general deer tag then the combo tag (which includes elk). But it is possible to draw it with no points. You will have a higher probability of pulling the nonresident archery antelope tag. If you are in a hurry to hunt you should apply for both and see what you pull (most likely only one of them). If you have a couple years before you need to hunt you could buy 2 points and then your chances of drawing both for that year would be very high.
I am new to it to. As best as I can tell, as a NR that only wants a bonus point for a deer or a deer/elk I should wait until July 1st to apply for it? Is that right? Thank you

I am new to it to. As best as I can tell, as a NR that only wants a bonus point for a deer or a deer/elk I should wait until July 1st to apply for it? Is that right? Thank you
You want to buy a preference point not a bonus point. Preference points are for the general deer and/or elk tag, bonus points would be for any of the limited draw pools that you are only entered into after drawing your general tag

I'm having a hard time finding when the preference point only opens, or when it closes. Is there even a preference point only option? I would agree, Montana website is hard to navigate.

Grosventrehunter,

Does this help?

I agree their website is a pain. That link is for 2019-2020

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom