New to Az Elk draw, whats your thoughts?

nmelkman

I am finally in a place where I'm able to apply in AZ for elk. Im looking to do early archery hunts and have some knowledge of several units as I lived in Joseph City until I was 10 and still have family in the state. Im looking at applying in this order and would like your input.
1-unit 1,2b
2-3b
3-4b
4-4a
5-5bn
I realize this is probably a ten year plus wait and I'm okay with that. My goal is to shoot a 300+ bull with my bow and I feel these units should give me that chance without having to wait 20+ years. Thanks guys

Assuming your a NR with zero points just starting out I would apply for a unit with the best random odds which from your list would be 4B and 3B. You could also swing for the moon on your first choice in case you get lucky on one of the best early archery hunts i.e. unit 9, 10, etc. and a better random odds hunt from your list with your 2nd choice. Another option would be to apply for the least desirable archery rut hunts (not necessarily from your list) with the best random odds as any unit can produce a bull of that caliber and you are not risking any points.

AZ looks at all applicants 1st and 2nd choices before moving on to the next applicant so there is no reason to list a pick for choices #3, #4, and #5 as they will never be in play for an early archery bull tag.

Realize that a tag that takes 20 points today will most likely take 40 points in 20 years...

Horniac

Starting today and looking at those choices, I don't see one that is less than 20 years.
4B is the least, currently at 11 points, 6 nr tags/year, and 250 nr apps in the pipe, not including those that are only buying points and not applying.

204E4568-EBE8-462A-A9A2-8C09A66356E2.jpeg

So putting a 3,4,5 choice is a waste because they will be filled in the random pass? I know if I draw I can donate a tag to my son but can I donate points to him in a few years?

Correct. And no you cant transfer points. You can start building for the both of you and put in together but the points will still be evenly divided between the both of you.

All the above. Also don't know how old your son is but if he is under 17, start building points for him also at very cheap price of hunting license $26 and points are $5 from age 10-17. Not sure on exact money since I don't have it in front of me but alot cheaper than adult prices.

All the above. Also don't know how old your son is but if he is under 17, start building points for him also at very cheap price of hunting license $26 and points are $5 from age 10-17. Not sure on exact money since I don't have it in front of me but alot cheaper than adult price
Combo hunting license is $5 for R and NR 10-17 yrs old. Bonus points are $13 for R and $15 for NR

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom