New to Colorado

Elkhunter96

Very Active Member
A couple of questions. I am starting to research elk and deer units now that I am a resident. I have 4-5 points for both species, so using the MM odds, I have found some hunts that fit or at least I can get in a few years. However, I come across as many questions as anwsers...

Thoughts on the early rifle mule deer hunts? I believe 74 and 40 something are two I ran across. Is the best strategy to put in for a unit you are borderline able to draw and then have some good second and third options? Last, did unit 53 suffer the same winter kill that the 54-55 Gunnison units experienced?

Last, can a person put in for more than one species like moose, sheep, goats to build points?

Yes you can apply for all species every year.

Second, yes it is a great plan to have a 2nd and 3rd choice unit picked out. Once you learn those 2nd choice units, they are a lot of fun. No presure (on yourself for premium tag) and you get to hunt them basically every year. Once you learn the unit you will be getting oppurtunities at some big bucks.

PS- We never get more than one point for deer in Colorado, and still have chances at big bucks (regularily).

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

I couldnt remember if it was 43 or 44 so I put 40 something. It is outside of Eagle.

So I can put in for sheep, goats, moose, elk and deer every year as a resident. I have to say, that is pretty cool.

The next part is the hardest, finding new people to hunt with... A lot like choosing a business partner, takes time to find good ones.

You are probably thinking about 44: Holy cross wilderness. I would think that Holy Cross and unit 43 both need a few more years to recover deer wise.

Where do you live. Might be there is some good areas close to home. The more you can scout, the better.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom