New to Idaho unit 39

W

WASHMULEYHUNTER

Just moved here about a month ago from wenatchee,Wa. I've been out looking around for deer in unit 39. I've seen alot of beatiful country but not many deer. I have seen some big ones near town some, but they seem to be all on private propery. I headed up rabbit creek above Idaho City and went up towards Swanholm,good looking country but didn't see one deer.I've also looked around Lucky Peak Resorvoir. Just was wondering if maybe someone can steer a newbie in the right direction. If you need any info on Central Washington Mule deer or Bear hunting would be willing to share.

Many of the deer in Unit 39 are not local deer that is a migration path for most of them. If the weather is right you can see hundreds of deer up there if it is to warm you need to go higher into 39. If you are new to the state I will advise you that 39 is the most hunted unit in the state, everyone from Boise goes up there. I would personally not recommend 39 unless you get off the beaten path because opening day will be like World War III just started. Late season archery brings in some monsters up there too. If you want more info let me know.

dont get discouraged by all the people. there is some beautiful country in 39 and like bowhunter said, there can be some smokers found if the weather cooperates. if you found an area you like....hunt it. if it doesnt pan out, check out some new territory. but, do get off the beaten path aways. that late archery hunt is a blast. ive hunted it a couple times with no harvests, but its been some of the most action packed fun hunts ive done.

Thanks for the info. What unit would you recommend I might start scouting. Not asking for your honey hole just a general area, trying to save some time. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Hunting season is coming soon and it would kill me to miss one.lol

I am guessing you are rifle hunting correct? Honestly for rifle I would head over to the Salmon area or up towards Riggins. I don't rifle hunt anymore, well unless I see a monster in early archery and have to go after him. I archery elk hunted in 32A and saw a few nice bucks out there, but it is the same issue as 39 with people during rifle hunting. Do you have access to a Motorcycle? 39 has a lot of single track trails for motorcycles that you can get off the main road and most people are not going on these roads. Another suggestion I would have is get a copy of all the trail systems in Idaho, there are a ton of them and find one that you think is going to be a good area and start hiking that trail 3 to 4 miles. You get that far off the road and then 90% of the people are gone. If you send me a PM I will let you know of a "honey hole" I have not been in there for a few years but I am considering going up there in late season archery.

Many of the deer in Unit 39 are not local deer that is a migration path for most of them. If the weather is right you can see hundreds of deer up there if it is to warm you need to go higher into 39. If you are new to the state I will advise you that 39 is the most hunted unit in the state, everyone from Boise goes up there. I would personally not recommend 39 unless you get off the beaten path because opening day will be like World War III just started. Late season archery brings in some monsters up there too. If you want more info let me know.
I’d like to get some more information if you’re willing to share

I hunted it in the Eighties and the season would end around the 10 of November, seems like there always bucks around but soon as the first snow would fall there were deer everywhere. I hunted James Creek summit , Steel mountain and near Atlanta

I hunted it in the Eighties and the season would end around the 10 of November, seems like there always bucks around but soon as the first snow would fall there were deer everywhere. I hunted James Creek summit , Steel mountain and near Atlanta
Those were good times! I used to burn helicopter landing slash piles back on some of those closed roads.I’ve seen some absolute toads back in the north and middle forks.

I am guessing you are rifle hunting correct? Honestly for rifle I would head over to the Salmon area or up towards Riggins. I don't rifle hunt anymore, well unless I see a monster in early archery and have to go after him. I archery elk hunted in 32A and saw a few nice bucks out there, but it is the same issue as 39 with people during rifle hunting. Do you have access to a Motorcycle? 39 has a lot of single track trails for motorcycles that you can get off the main road and most people are not going on these roads. Another suggestion I would have is get a copy of all the trail systems in Idaho, there are a ton of them and find one that you think is going to be a good area and start hiking that trail 3 to 4 miles. You get that far off the road and then 90% of the people are gone. If you send me a PM I will let you know of a "honey hole" I have not been in there for a few years but I am considering going up there in late season archery.
how do I send a pm. going to hunt 39 for general rifle. I could try your honey hole and let you know how it goes

Lol in 2010 I’d of argued till I was blue in the face there’d always be good bucks in 39 for those willing to get hardcore.
I think I was wrong.

There always ends up being some big ones down in the wma and blacks creek in the winter. They gotta come from somewhere

Ironic that this thread restarted today. I am a long-time reader, first-time poster. Been in Idaho for 3 years, hunted every year but continue to come up dry. Had another baby a couple of weeks ago and I thought I wouldn't be able to go out, but my work schedule changed and it looks like I will be able to for a couple of one-night trips.

Planning to hit Unit 39 rifle season for deer and then come back for the archery deer/elk in November. Hoping my Oct trip also doubles as a scouting trip for November.

Based on the migration maps, it seems like sticking along the Boise River/Middle Fork corridor is ideal. Any opinions if it's worth starting further south (park at Bald Mountain Campground and work east) or if I need to just make the trek up to the Deer Park Campground area and go into those mountains?

Ironic that this thread restarted today. I am a long-time reader, first-time poster. Been in Idaho for 3 years, hunted every year but continue to come up dry. Had another baby a couple of weeks ago and I thought I wouldn't be able to go out, but my work schedule changed and it looks like I will be able to for a couple of one-night trips.

Planning to hit Unit 39 rifle season for deer and then come back for the archery deer/elk in November. Hoping my Oct trip also doubles as a scouting trip for November.

Based on the migration maps, it seems like sticking along the Boise River/Middle Fork corridor is ideal. Any opinions if it's worth starting further south (park at Bald Mountain Campground and work east) or if I need to just make the trek up to the Deer Park Campground area and go into those mountains?
Just go up roaring river rd, there will be 200 other vehicles lined up along the first 3 miles of the road glassing, wait for your forky to come off the ridge to the east and make sure you have 1000 feet of rope to pull it up your side of the river to the road

I have never hunted 39 but will offer advice... a little late though.

You won't get much help if you mention you've only lived there 3 years. To all of the Idaho locals who mysteriously and magically sprouted from the loins of the salmon River canyons you are the antichrist...especially if you came from Kali...

I think they might be threatened by the superior hunting abilities of the transplants/nonresidents?

Meh, I figure I might as well be honest. I grew up with a **** Dad who left us and never had the opportunity to be outdoors. Working on changing the narrative for my boys.

Happy to provide anything I can on my end in return. Have lots of useful gunsmithing and other skills, just don't know how to hunt ?

Meh, I figure I might as well be honest. I grew up with a **** Dad who left us and never had the opportunity to be outdoors. Working on changing the narrative for my boys.

Happy to provide anything I can on my end in return. Have lots of useful gunsmithing and other skills, just don't know how to hunt ?
That's awesome!

My post was mostly tongue in cheek...mostly...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom