New to MM, Elk hunting Q's

excaliber

I'd like to introduce myself to this great site.
I am planning on going on my first Archery elk hunt next year. I have taken Mule Deer with my bow now I am wanting to try Elk hunting.
Since I know very little about Elk hunting, only what great info. I have gathered on this site and from books and videos, and I have no one to hunt Elk with, I am interested in a Guided hunt in Either Colorado, New Mexico, Utah ,Wyoming or anywhere I could get a tag.
Does anybody know of a guide service that is fairly reasonable and that is well regarded.
I am not looking for a monster bull ( that would be nice)but just a decent bull.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike, welcome aboard!!!! Who needs a guide with all the pro's around here???!!! Just kidding.... I think you will find a lot of guides to suit your needs, just decide what state and I am sure you can get a lot of references from people here. What state are you in now?? Maybe someone will team up with you around your hometown?? Hell, get drawn in AZ and I'll go with ya!!!! Once again Mike, welcome aboard.

Thanks alwayzbhuntin,
I live in San Diego Ca. and I have been looking at the Az. regs. and I am going to be putting in for Archery Elk in Az. this year. I see the draw odds are not very good but I will try anyway.
Can someone draw in Arizona 1st. time or do you need preference points to draw a tag?
Arizona has some monster bulls.

This Site has some really great info.

No, the draw odds are not that great, but I have heard of people getting lucky and pulling a tag on their first try. If you don't put in for the "monster" units I think you have a somewhat better chance without the bonus points. Who knows, it's a lottery. It doesn't hurt to try, it is refundable anyway.

excaliber:

Don't have much info on guides, as I've never been on a guided hunt. However, WELCOME to the archery section of MM. It's a great site with helpful folks.

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Nice to meet you Mike! I live and hunt in Northern New Mexico. Elk hunting is tough, but drawing a tag is even tougher. I have missed out drawing a deer or elk for the last two years. Last year I was lucky enough to draw an Antelope tag which helped fill the freezer somewhat...

Anyhow, You can hunt much of NM without a guide, but your odds of drawing an out of state tag in NM without a guide are around 10% and about 12%-15% with a guide. Check out the NM State Game and Fish for assistance. http://www.gmfsh.state.nm.us/

If your heart is set on hunting the prestigous Elk of NM, I would like to be so bold as offer my neighbors company as a guide service. You can contact him (Elias "Lee" Vigil) @ UteCreekOutfitters.com. He has been extremly successful at guiding hunters in the Northern part of our state near the Colorado border and close to the small town of Costilla, NM. He has land owner tags for sale that you do not have to apply for by drawing. Units that surrond this location have great bulls as well as an abundance of cow elk. Lee will be seen this next season on ESPN as his company guides Tom Miranda on an elk hunt. Check out the web site and use your best judgement.

As for myself, I cannot give you first hand about guides. I cannot afford to use them and have been successful without.

Best of luck!

Montana is not too terribly hard to draw. Pick any canyon in southwest montana and you'll find an elk. Out here if you had a week to hunt straight you'd have a blast and more than likely have some chances at a bull. I think if you can kill a mule deer you should do fine chasing an elk.

Get ahold of Elknut1 about a hunt up in Idaho area, he also have videos for calling for sale.(They are really great learning videos)Your first hunt should be a ton of fun. you can bet that Elknut and his son will bend over backwards to make sure it is. Get in touch with him and see for your self. Good luck

Thanks for all the great info guys.
It looks like I'll be heading to Idaho.
I'll let you know how it turns out later this year.
Mike

Ex,
Colorado has a lot of easy to draw units or you can just buy over the counter. I killed my first elk this year with a bow too. I'll have to get back to you on a guide suggestion. How far are you from Poway?
Jeff

I lived in Poway/Escondido when I was a kid 20 years ago. Not sure where Fallbrook. IF your sold on Idaho this year look at Colorado next year for elk.
Jeff

Excaliber,

There is another MM.com member from down there in Fallbrook. Look for a "USAhunter" here and maybe he might be able to help you out. Don't know if Bill is into archery, but he has hunted Elk as well as other game.

I'm way up north in No. CA.

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom