New to Muzzy

BuckedUp

Hey folks! Long time lurker and decided to join. I look forward to contributing and joining the community. Have 10 years of archery elk and muley experience in CO, and decided to put in for a muzzy deer tag this year in CO and plan to hunt high wilderness. I hunted whitetail with a tradition muzzleloader and older in-line when I was a teen, but it’s been so long I’m basically starting fresh. I need to purchase and start shooting - just wondering what mid-budget muzzies you like, and what are some newbie mistakes that can immediately be avoided?! PS I’m left handed!!!

Try loose powder and pellets as each muzzleloader may perform differently. I've been muzzy hunting for a while now but I bought a new .45 CVA LR Accura at the end of 2019 and sighted it in last summer. Loose powder is supposed to work best so I started with that and measured each shot by weight and or volume exactly as the manufacture instructed. I shot over 50 rounds and it was all over the place and was driving me nuckin futs. About 2 weeks before the hunt while at the range I had this nice old guy who was also shooting his muzzy (a brand new Remington .50) tell me that he had shot over 100 rounds using loose powder and had the same issue as me. He said he was about ready to sell his muzzy until he switched to pellets and started getting real good consistency after that. Of course the first thing I did that very day was go buy some pellets and wouldn't you know it I started getting very consistent shots after that. I ended up filling both muzzy tags I had. One animal was at a 150 yards and got him right through the vitals.

Good advise from above.Check Col. regs and see what is/not allowed during muzzie ONLY seasons ? Purchase rifle that meets these laws . A great hunt season in ALL western states ... Bruce & SilverGrand

i have CVA accura v2, but Optima seems like about the same thing without the Bergara stamp on barrel ( by all accounts it IS a bergara barrel, though) ... Lots of options as far as stainless steel or nitride coated (i have nitride)... Blackhorn breech plug is an add on after purchase, Blackhorn 209 powder (100 gr by volume) pushing a Federal BOR loc 350 gr lead bullet. CCI magnum primers. Add on the williams peep sight for rear. Lyman globe on top of low Marble ramp for front sight. Lee Shaver inserts.
(see Brownells or Midway usa for these after market sights... there is a package deal on sale somewhere with similar components to this setup).
There you go! CO legal. Please stay out of MY hunt area! (just kidding, but hope i don't see you out there...)

Since I still shoot a Knight LK95 Wolverine I bought in the mid 1990's, I can't speak for some of the newer models. It's likely most MLs on the market today are weather resistant (stainless, nitride coated, etc.) and shoot a 209 ignition system. Don't skimp on these. Going with blued steel and #11 musket caps these days with all the good stuff on the market would be a mistake, IMO.

Definitely be prepared to experiment with different bullets and powder loads. I started shooting the 260 grain sabot. Memory says 6" groups at 50 yards! Tried less powder. Tried lighter bullets. Nothing seemed to matter until I stepped up to a 300 gr bullet. Then OMG! 3 shot touching groups at 50 and 100 yards with the same impact point and same aiming point!

Try loose powder and pellets as each muzzleloader may perform differently. I've been muzzy hunting for a while now but I bought a new .45 CVA LR Accura at the end of 2019 and sighted it in last summer. Loose powder is supposed to work best so I started with that and measured each shot by weight and or volume exactly as the manufacture instructed. I shot over 50 rounds and it was all over the place and was driving me nuckin futs. About 2 weeks before the hunt while at the range I had this nice old guy who was also shooting his muzzy (a brand new Remington .50) tell me that he had shot over 100 rounds using loose powder and had the same issue as me. He said he was about ready to sell his muzzy until he switched to pellets and started getting real good consistency after that. Of course the first thing I did that very day was go buy some pellets and wouldn't you know it I started getting very consistent shots after that. I ended up filling both muzzy tags I had. One animal was at a 150 yards and got him right through the vitals.
That's the first time I've ever heard that usually it's the complete opposite

Yep, but muzzleloaders are not centerfire rifles. Each is unique and may like its own special combination of powders or bullets.
True that. I shoot an Winchester X150, still using pyrodex pellets and open sights. It’s a tack driver, if I get an animal within 200 yards, its game over.
I’ve been told over and over that it’s time to join the new century but I refuse to fix things that ain’t broke.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom