New to spring Bears...

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I am new to spring bear hunting...never hunted for bears. I am going to start researching it so that I can extend my hunting season and give me something to look forward to in the spring. I'll check out NM, AZ, NV, UT as they are the closest states to Cali. I was doing some reading here and see that one of the states has a running tab on bears killed...like a quota. That is nuts. What happens if the quota is 1 short and 2 guys kill bears on the same day? That is highly likely. I'm sure there is some leniency with that, right?
If anyone has any info on where to learn a lot about it, please chime in. I will hit youtube as well as I am sure there's some good info there. Thanks!

Steve

NM will close a unit when the harvest reaches within 10% of the total allowed. That is how they account for your scenario of two kills on the last day. All that data is updated almost daily on the Game and Fish site.

AZ regs say, once quota is reached hunts end the following Wednesday, which is why hunters have to call the hotline regularly to see which units' quota has been reached. I would waste time in AZ on a spring hunt. go to a better state if you can.

Yeah, its not hard.....bookmark the site on your phone and keep track.

I've seen it in the Ak islands, seen it in Norcal and in other states; Bears follow a pretty defined pattern at the different times of the year. If you can nail down that pattern- it makes the hunting easier.

Sounds like you are a Ca resident. FYI, the August archery season for bears can be fantastic. Once the acorns start dropping, then it gets tougher.

In Wyoming, if any bears over the quota get killed before they can shut it down they just subtract that number from the next hunt's quota.

I know there’s guys that consistently get it done in AZ spot and stalk hunting, but if it were me, I would head North. As in Idaho or Montana. Unless you have access to dogs, in that case, any of those states should treat you well.

I know there’s guys that consistently get it done in AZ spot and stalk hunting, but if it were me, I would head North. As in Idaho or Montana. Unless you have access to dogs, in that case, any of those states should treat you well.
I've watched lots of Brian Gritty's youtube vids when they're hunting Idaho. That country looks brutal and I probably would need lots of extra pairs of underwear to hunt those areas....partially due to the terrain but mostly because of the grizzlies. LOL

I've watched lots of Brian Gritty's youtube vids when they're hunting Idaho. That country looks brutal and I probably would need lots of extra pairs of underwear to hunt those areas....partially due to the terrain but mostly because of the grizzlies. LOL
I hunt black bears in grizzly country every spring. Most of our “hiking” is on closed off logging roads, and is extremely easy. There’s definitely grizzlies in the areas we hunt, but in 6 years, I’ve never actually seen one with my own eyes.

We're heading to Oregon for spring bear at the end of the month. This will be the first time hunting spring bear so we're looking forward to it. Maybe a new hunt to add in the annual rotation.

Of all my shows I watch, those are some of my favorite ones. I also have hunted Black bears quite a few times in Grizzly country. I came upon 2 grizzlies about an hour before I shot my first black bear.

Bear is on my list of hunts I want to try. I think Idaho is where I would most likely start. Having never done it though, I just don't know how to start. Would love to spend time with someone that could show me things like what to look for, and how to know you're in the right area. Every time I start reading about them I hear about elevations, food, and a lot of glassing. I keep saying maybe some day I'll jump in and try it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom