New to the NM Tag Draw-2021

4Weight

I am considering for the first time applying in NM for a Mule Deer tag as a non resident. Wanted to reach out for any advice in the application process. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance for any tips.

Thanks,
4W

Try a different State we have very few Mule Deer left. We have plenty of Lions, Wolves, and Bears try for that. Thanks

I don't eat lions, wolves or bear so I will prolly not take your advice.
NM screwed the NR years ago, and I wouldn't spend a dime there. It funny because the residents appear to be getting screwed now. If it's possible give Wyoming a try, or at least start building points if you aren't already doing so.

Check your inbox.

I am considering for the first time applying in NM for a Mule Deer tag as a non resident. Wanted to reach out for any advice in the application process. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance for any tips.

Thanks,
4W
Sorry that others didn’t offer much help. There is some great hunting in NM! The best deer are in the Northwestern part of the state. Do you already have a unit/hunt in mind?

I do not. That is kind of the info and question I was asking for. I appreciate it. I know the 2a and 2b are the best. I was born in Durango and get that. Coming from Texas I was looking out east in 30,31,33 etc. I imagine the draw odds are better out there and kind of thought I would ease into it as well. Thanks let me know your thoughts.

NM looks at all three of your choices when they draw your application. If your first choice isn't available they will look at your second choice. If that isn't available they will then look at your third choice. if that too is taken your app is thrown out. So be sure to build your app with the hardest to draw tag in your first choice then the next hardest as your second choice. if you have the money to do so your odds will be better in the outfitter draw pool. If you don't have the money or want to do it DIY that is fine as well your odds will just go down a little bit.

The units in the N.W. part of the state can produce good bucks but they do get hunted hard and there are lots of roads so getting away from people can be tough and it can be tough Pinon/Juniper type of Mule Deer hunting. I enjoyed hunting New Mexico the 4 years I lived there and I certainly will miss it this fall. But I say go for it and have a good time. The locals won't want you there but welcome to New Mexico. As liberal as that state is, you would be smart to hunt it as much as possible before the politics there shut down hunting for good. just my opinion.

Money,

Thanks very much for your input. I also have a friend or two there that have helped with info similar to this. In all actuality the DIY of the hunt appeals to me since I have never really done that and I am in good shape and in my 50's. I fly fish a lot in NM and the rivers are shut down now to non-residents so I get your liberal comment wholeheartedly.
I want to thank all of you who have replied to my post and the many who have PM'ed as well with very helpful info and offers of assistance. There has only been one guy who has been a $%#$ and you know who you are.

Thanks again !
4W

Best bet is to check the "draw odds" and harvest reports to decide where to put in. Remember, you're in the 6% pool.

Agree on the comment about the liberalsim that plagues this state. Too bad too, used to be a great state to live in. Maybe one day the cancer will be removed...

4Weight,

I've drawn 6 NM deer tags in the last 6 years as a nonresident. I live a few miles from the NM boarder and only apply in NM because it is close and offers me an opportunity to hunt most years. Besides unit 3 (Jicarilla Reservation), your odds of finding a B&C deer in NM are minimal to nonexistent. 2B and 2A have too many tags which results in almost all of the bucks getting killed at a young age. 2A and 2B are not the trophy units that their draw odds reflect.

The SE part of NM isn't a bad option if you are just looking for an opportunity to hunt, just don't expect to find a buck to hang on the wall.

Hunting license in NM is nonrefundable and you have to front the tag fee. If you are happy with just having an opportunity to hunt, then apply in NM. If you are only looking for a wall hanger, take Cosmic Cowboys advice and look other places besides the NM draw.

I have to disagree with BrianID’s post. From what I’ve seen there is a good chance of getting a big buck in New Mexico if you hunt hard. Every single deer hunt I’ve ever been on in New Mexico I have seen or killed what most would consider to be big bucks. Shoot whatever buck gets you excited obviously but there are some big boys in New Mexico.

Brian
Thanks for the help. I was going to stay on the eastern slope as well. Yup I knew the application fee is non-refundable and you pay the license fee up front when you apply but if you are not drawn the license fee gets refunded I believe.

I have to disagree with BrianID’s post. From what I’ve seen there is a good chance of getting a big buck in New Mexico if you hunt hard. Every single deer hunt I’ve ever been on in New Mexico I have seen or killed what most would consider to be big bucks. Shoot whatever buck gets you excited obviously but there are some big boys in New Mexico.

All of us have our opinion on what is considered big. I've spent a lot of time hunting in NM in the last decade and have yet to see a muley in NM that would gross over 190" or net over 180". I've seen numerous bucks that I would consider big in other states but have never seen one in NM.

There are very few B&C deer killed in NM with the exception of Rio Arriba County. You can still kill a nice buck in any unit in NM but most of the state lacks the genetics required to consistently grow giant antlers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom