NF camping stay limits -14 day max...

Mossyhorn70

I first saw that the bighorn NF implemented a 14 day maximum that you can stay on the forest. So I checked with the Bridger Teton NF and they did the same thing. The new restriction is you can’t camp within a 5 mile radius for more than 14 days, within a 30 Consecutive day period.

Last year was crazy, tons and tons of camps with no one in them the entire 10 days I was hunting. Lots of camps that didn’t seem like anyone had been there for quite some time! Too many folks just occupying prime spots for weeks or months and no one even in them. I’m glad something like this was put into place. Unfortunately, enforcement will be the hard part.

Pretty sure it’s been that way for years. I think the “new” order is simply renewing the old order which had expired. It will happen again in July 2030.

That very well could be. When I reached out to them, it sounds like they plan on enforcing it more aggressively than they have in the past. They have received a lot of complaints apparently.

I’m not a fan of the stay limit, once I get camp set I like getting settled in. And 5 miles holy hell I’ll have to go to a whole diff drainage, makes no since to me if your not there somebody will be so what’s it hurting if someone has a nice camp set up and be in comfort for the season, firewood cut and stacked , horse set up, nice level camp spot!! ?

I’m not a fan of the stay limit, once I get camp set I like getting settled in. And 5 miles holy hell I’ll have to go to a whole diff drainage, makes no since to me if your not there somebody will be so what’s it hurting if someone has a nice camp set up and be in comfort for the season, firewood cut and stacked , horse set up, nice level camp spot!! ?

It’s one thing if you’re occupying the camp. But there’s way too many people that are ruining it for everyone. Way to many people putting up a tent or parking a trailer and leaving it half the summer and all the way thru hunting season, only using it for a week. Last year we could hardly find a place to camp for archery elk. Camps everywhere with no one around during our whole stay. The problem is all the good spots are taken all season long by people that aren’t using them.

Wasn't it a 16 day stay limit? Allowed you 3 weekends at a spot. A 14-day may effectively keep people using a site for 9 days since they won't be able to have that extra weekend, won't be able to go back to work for a week and come back up without moving camp. Whether it be 14-days now, the rule is no good if its not enforced. We've been checked before in the Wyoming Range. Forest usage seems to at an all time high this year. I cannot believe the camps this summer. What I have never understood though is having to move camp 5 miles after the stay limit is up.

We have quite a few USFS campgrounds that have 5 Day limits, from May 1st thru Sept 1st. The small most popular ones were being blocked out by people putting in RVs and not using them for 2 weeks or more. One campground I know of requires daily occupancy!!

All you need. The limit around here has been 14 days for as long as I remember. They are finally enforcing it because of some squatter camps that have been up all summer.
IMG_0523.JPG

This is not new. I realized this reg was in place last year, and wasn't being enforced in BTNF. I talked with the NF LEO, and he made it clear that for one guy, covering a lot of country, their were bigger issues to deal with.

The stay limit law on national forest isn't enforced enough.
It's a serious problem in the eastern U.S. also. Lots of campers set up early to get the best spots, weeks ahead of season and left unoccupied till weekends during the seasons.
I have complained in the past, only to see the same camp stay for two months more.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom