Nice Utah buck from the '60s

El_Matador

I was going through some of my late uncle's stuff the other day and came across this newspaper clipping. Frank Ashton and Melvin Ashton were his uncle and cousin, respectively. Not sure who the other guy is. I haven't been able to find any info about where this buck ended up but I wouldn't be surprised if it's hanging on a wall somewhere in Utah.

IMG-3467.jpg

I was going through some of my late uncle's stuff the other day and came across this newspaper clipping. Frank Ashton and Melvin Ashton were his uncle and cousin, respectively. Not sure who the other guy is. I haven't been able to find any info about where this buck ended up but I wouldn't be surprised if it's hanging on a wall somewhere in Utah.

View attachment 131732
Pretty cool article to have…

There were many great bucks killed here in Utah from the 1950s through and up to the early1980s during Utah's general deer hunting season and many of them have been lost or forgotten about..alot of hunters back then didn't think much about rack size..so its always cool to see pics of some of those forgotten trophies

There were many great bucks killed here in Utah from thit also won the zoo ine 1950s through and up to the early1980s during Utah's general deer hunting season and many of them have been lost or forgotten about..alot of hunters back then didn't think much about rack size..so its always cool to see pics of some of those forgotten trophies
That definitely hasn't been a forgotten buck. It's been highlighted in Utah's biggest bucks. I think won the Zinks contest that year too. One of the biggest bucks taken out of Utah county.

You See That ridge?

We USE-TA-COULD Grow A Few!
We still do. In fact some of the biggest bucks on certain units have been killed in the past ten years and most of my friends and family have killed and seen more 190"+ bucks in the past ten years than the rest of their life before that. How can you explain that?

That definitely hasn't been a forgotten buck. It's been highlighted in Utah's biggest bucks. I think won the Zinks contest that year too. One of the biggest bucks taken out of Utah county.
I wasn't talking about that particular buck ridge..I was just saying that there's been alot of great bucks killed here in Utah that nobody has seen or heard about.. And yes I've seen this buck in Utah's mule deer book and at cabelas.. But there's many more out there that haven't been shown publicly

You See That ridge?

We USE-TA-COULD Grow A Few!
I was watching a Mike Eastman YouTube video the other night and he said the 50’s were some of the best years of mule deer hunting. The reason was in the 40’s men were fighting WW2. Which makes sense. Here’s the video link if anyone wants to check it out.

I wasn't talking about that particular buck ridge..I was just saying that there's been alot of great bucks killed here in Utah that nobody has seen or heard about.. And yes I've seen this buck in Utah's mule deer book and at cabelas.. But there's many more out there that haven't been shown publicly
I agree with that for sure. One of my friends has a Utah public land, general season 260" buck hanging in his house that he killed in the 90s. Only a handful of non family members has ever seen it.

We still do. In fact some of the biggest bucks on certain units have been killed in the past ten years and most of my friends and family have killed and seen more 190"+ bucks in the past ten years than the rest of their life before that. How can you explain that?
Limited entry VS General units

Limited entry VS General units
I know of several 200"+ general season bucks being killed in the past ten years. I personally know of one area alone ( maybe 10 sq. miles) that has produced somewhere between 15-20 190"+ bucks in the past 10 years. This is in Utah, which is considered the worst mule deer state in the West by some people.

Yup!

A Few taken Each Year!

I Never Said There Wasn't Any!

Back In The Day There Were Numerous Bucks The Size You're Talkin Taken Every Year And A Bunch A HELL Of Alot Bigger Than your Favorite Number!!

Back Then:

They Didn't Have A Name!

They Were Not Famous On Trail-Cams!

They Did Not Have Price Tags On Their Heads!

They Were Not Sold To The Highest Bidder!

And All The Other BS Reasons You See With Trophy Animals Of Today!

Keep Telling Us How Good It Is!

Most Will Believe You!

And Don't Forget About The 45"ER Taken This Year!

Sure Is Quiet!

Must Not Be Anything Up With That Buck!

Yup!

A Few taken Each Year!

I Never Said There Wasn't Any!

Back In The Day There Were Numerous Bucks The Size You're Talkin Taken Every Year And A Bunch A HELL Of Alot Bigger Than your Favorite Number!!

Keep Telling Us How Good It Is!

Most Will Believe You!
I agree with your list of reasons why things aren't as good as the 60s but the facts are pretty clear that it will never be that good again. So time to get over it and move on and enjoy the good hunting we currently have. So I'll keep telling you that things are not as bad as you claim on many units. I'll agree that some areas have really gone downhill in the past 5 years, so I try to avoid those areas.

why is it that Kansas City Cabela's has a bunch of Monster mule deer bucks? None of them came from that country. But it's an impressive display of the good ole days

I'd Guess There To Be Some Truth To That!

I'm Gonna Make A Prediction:

When World War III Rolls Around I'll Bet Deer Will Flourish Again!

After All The Buttons That Are Gonna Be Pushed Are Pushed!

Probably Won't Be Anybody Left Alive On Earth To See It!:D

I was watching a Mike Eastman YouTube video the other night and he said the 50’s were some of the best years of mule deer hunting. The reason was in the 40’s men were fighting WW2. Which makes sense. Here’s the video link if anyone wants to check it out.

I remember a giant buck in a cafe or restaurant on the south side of main street in Duchesne. We used to stop in there after duck hunting the river and gawk at it before we headed back to reality. It had to have been taken years ago.
Do you know if it's still there yoteduster?

Wow Rick that was a while back..if that's the same place I'm remembering.. that place has changed hands many times and I don't know whatever happened to that buck

Wow Rick that was a while back..if that's the same place I'm remembering.. that place has changed hands many times and I don't know whatever happened to that buck
Yep, that was back in the late 70's when we went out there. That head had dust on it way back then. I hope it found a good home because, as I remember, it was a cranker buck!

According to the B&C website this Ashton buck is the #6 non-typical ever taken in Utah. And of those 5 bucks that are bigger, 4 of them were taken prior to 1961 when this buck was killed. That means only 1 buck has beaten this monster in the last 60+ years.

Have I Not Said:

They Don't Make Em Like They Use To?

According to the B&C website this Ashton buck is the #6 non-typical ever taken in Utah. And of those 5 bucks that are bigger, 4 of them were taken prior to 1961 when this buck was killed. That means only 1 buck has beaten this monster in the last 60+ years.

Back in the 60's they would post the "canyon" the buck was killed in. If that happened today............could you imagine the # of folks in the south fork.

I remember a giant buck in a cafe or restaurant on the south side of main street in Duchesne. We used to stop in there after duck hunting the river and gawk at it before we headed back to reality. It had to have been taken years ago.
Do you know if it's still there yoteduster?
Little more info on that buck..the name of the cafe was the frost top..its gone now..the buck was harvested in 1948 by kay Hamilton in what we call the Coleman basin here in Duchesne County.. FYI there were several really nice bucks taken out of this country back in the day..another thing that's funny people tried stealing this buck out of the cafe twice..The second time they broke one of his non typical points off which hurt his final score..the buck scored 234 7/8 Boone and Crockett inches (points) he was ranked #87in the state in 2001..in the new Utah biggest bucks he ranks 110..thought this would be a little interesting Rick..

Little more info on that buck..the name of the cafe was the frost top..its gone now..the buck was harvested in 1948 by kay Hamilton in what we call the Coleman basin here in Duchesne County.. FYI there were several really nice bucks taken out of this country back in the day..another thing that's funny people tried stealing this buck out of the cafe twice..The second time they broke one of his non typical points off which hurt his final score..the buck scored 234 7/8 Boone and Crockett inches (points) he was ranked #87in the state in 2001..in the new Utah biggest bucks he ranks 110..thought this would be a little interesting Rick..
Thanks for the follow up Mike.
I just remember drooling while I looked at him and it wasn't because of the food! Do you know what ever happened to it?

All I know is William Lancaster was listed as owner in 2001 and then Dion Heiner was listed as owner in 2019 and I don't know either one of these gentlemen but I reckon its hanging somewhere.. Lol

That's really cool! Keep up the good work of saving family memories, and I hope you learn more about your family's history.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom