Nikon Monarch or Wind River Cascade

ixsolracxi

Alright, i know this topic has come up many times and i have searched previous posts regarding binocs...i have come down to two pair of glass, Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 and Wind River Cascade 10x42 (yes, i would love to get some swarovski's, leica's or ziess but they are not in the budget now [daughter starts school in august and private tuition will not allow the big 3])...to those that have owned a pair of the two above binocs, what are your thoughts/feelings, being that my budget allows for $300-350, they fit perfectly into the budget and i have heard alot of good things about these...for all the lovers of the big 3 i now have 13 years of saving nickels and dimes for a pair...as always, your input is muy appreciated.

solrac

If you get the Cascades, just make sure you get the newest ones that are phase corrected because some of the older ones weren't..

Monarch ATB's all the way. I was in the EXACT same boat last year and did the tests, read the reviews, checked them all out for myself and settled on the Nikons. They are amazing for that price. Crazy if you ask me. My father in law owns the WR's and I have the ATB's. I think there is a big difference. They also hold true to the antifog tests. Try to make them fog... won't work. Great piece of glass IMO and worth every penny.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

I bought my son a pair of the monarchs last year. They are a great buy for the money. I have not looked through the leupolds but am a fan of their rifle scopes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair if I needed a new set.

Rich

thanks to everyone for their time and comments...it is appreciated...hate to throw a curveball, but has anybody heard of or used "Minox BD 10x42 BL", these were suggested by a retailer and are in the same category...as sharp as the nikons (if not sharper) and a bit brighter...once again your input is appreciated

solrac

LAST EDITED ON May-29-06 AT 00:48AM (MST)[p]i have a pair of the minox BD 10x42 BL. Pretty bright and clear. I like em for the price. Twisting eyecups, phase corrected, coated glass, submersible, heavy rubber armoring and they have a nice design. They only weigh 23 oz, and come with a nice neoprene strap. Do yourself a favor and test all of these choices if you can and don't take my word for it.

yuou should check out the pentax Binos. I got a pair last year and they are sweet,very bright and clear. I have looked though them side by side with my friends Leicas and they are just as clear. cost about 450$$, but well worht the money.

I've owned both the Monarch and the Windriver. I'd have to say that they are very close optically, but for some reason, the Windriver glass scratches way too easy. I use a Ziess cleaning kit for all my optics and the Windriver's are the only ones that it scratches????

Go with the Nikons. At least to me, they are much clearer and brighter than the Windrivers. The Nikons are a great mid-range bino.

Take care,
Dave

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom