Nine Mile Jack Creek Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep

Tisoykeis

I was lucky enough to draw the Nine Mile, Jack Creek Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag and couldn't be more excited for this hunt.
I look forward to the opportunity to spend some good quality time throughout the summer and fall with my 4 daughters getting to know the unit and preparing for the hunt.

That said, I have never spent any time in this area, so if anyone familiar with the area would be willing to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate any information. Thanks!

I have not spent time here. But my grandpa drew the grey canyon tag. In doing research of which area to put in for, the jack creek seemed to be more rugged and less sheep, but possibility of maybe a bigger ram. Good luck on this hunt and would love to hear how you do.

Congrats on your tag. The sheep population is down in this unit from years past. A good sheep may be hard to find without someone that has hunted the area many times. The go to guide for sheep in this unit would be Shawn Labrum of Wild Mountain Outfitters. He has guided many Governor's sheep tags and has guided sheep in this unit.

I hunted with him for elk in the Book Cliffs and I can say he's a awesome guide and hunter. He does fully guided and partially guided depending on your needs and budget. His passion is sheep. I would seriously consider hiring him on a once-in-a-lifetime.

Have a great hunt.

LAST EDITED ON May-30-17 AT 10:35PM (MST)[p]It scares me to death thinking about taking little kids into that country.
I sent you a PM
How many points did you have?

LAST EDITED ON May-31-17 AT 08:47AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-31-17 AT 08:44?AM (MST)

Thanks for all the info everyone. Much appreciated.

@aythya, I will seriously consider reaching out to Shaun.

@fullcry, I didn't get your PM, but I am new to this site and may not be looking in the right place. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I will definitely get out there by myself first before taking my daughters....always enjoy getting out with them, but sounds like it might be me and the old man on this hunt.....still very excited.

Thanks again!

LAST EDITED ON May-31-17 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p]Congratulations on drawing a great tag. I'd recommend getting in touch with Coby Hunt from Utah Big Game Outfitters. He lives in Green River and loves to chase sheep. He's helped many sheep hunters kill great rams on that unit.

He helped me when I drew my Henry's deer tag a few years back.
I was a pleasure hunting with him. I know he'll work hard to make sure you have the hunt of a lifetime. Plus, you'll kill a great ram!

Good luck and post some pic's of your hunt.

Coby's number is (435)242-0024

LAST EDITED ON May-31-17 AT 05:33PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-31-17 AT 05:18?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON May-31-17 AT 05:14?PM (MST)

Hi my name is Kelly Rushton I went on this hunt in 2014 in the nine mile unit. I was in the same boat you were. I went to green river to get familiar with the area. I started asking some of the locals if they had any ideas or information for me. Everyone i talked to referred me to Coby Hunt owner of Utah Big Game Outfitters. Coby grew up in this area and no one knows the area better!
Coby took the time and effort to make sure i got the Ram of a life time! He showed me several rams but he told me we could do better. On the 3rd afternoon of our hunt we found the ram we were looking for. Picture below
I would highly recommend him for your guide in this area he is the best.
Coby Hunt Info : www.utahbiggameoutfitters.com

71236kelly.jpg

Curious how you did on your hunt and what you thought of the sheep condition given the pneumonia outbreak down there? I have a pile of points and should draw this year or next. Wondering how your experience went?

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

Sorry it took me so long to reply....you have probably already used your points, but if not, I had an incredible experience on this hunt. Definitely a hunt of a lifetime. I have tried to post pics, but can't seem to figure that out.

I spent most of my summer out there scouting and got to know the unit really well....each time was a great adventure full of great memories. Definitely not an easy hunt.....its very rugged country. My adventures typically required long hikes, up to 11 miles to get back into sheep country. There are other ways to get into sheep country, you can float the river or PM me and I call share some other ways to get there. I enjoyed hiking because it is also some beautiful country. Oddly enough, we saw bear scat multiple times so you will be in bear country as well.

As for the Sheep.....it took me all summer to find them....I started to get a bit frustrated because I just couldn't seem to find the sheep, but when I found them, I saw good numbers each time I went in. I saw a couple of really good rams....in fact, the first Ram I saw during my hunt was a bruiser, but I was only 30 minutes from camp when we spotted him and couldn't allow myself to shoot the first ram I saw during the hunt. I passed on him thinking he might be there on my way back, but never found him again. I ended up killing a really heavy, 9-10 year old RAM that scored 170. There were 5-6 other rams in the same grouping and he was the best ram. I didn't realize how steep the terrain was where I shot him and he rolled and tumbled about 150 yards after I shot him. Caught it all on video....my heart definitely sank as I watched him tumble heard over heels down the mountainside. Just another piece of his story and the many adventures that accompany you on a sheep hunt like this.

The other guy that had a tag for this unit my same year killed a monster ram, scored 185+ if I am not mistaken just a mile or so up river from where I killed mine. So there were some awesome sheep on this unit. The next year, I heard about the sickness and spoke with a hunter who drew the tag and he didn't seem to see as many big rams....I sure hope that herd wasn't hit too hard, because there were definitely some great sheep in the herd. If you by chance still have your points, I would be happy to share what information I have........I always love to talk sheep! I will try to post some pics again.

Jared
801-318-4052

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom