Nine Mile, Range Creek North/South

BowHuntr

I was thinking about buying an any bull muzz tag pretty quick. I know about 85-90% of both these units are composed of private land. Just curious if anyone has hunted these units? Are there any landowners that will grant permission to hunt? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

~BowHuntr~

Sorry!!But I don't think there is one landowner on Range creek that will let you hunt, uless for a pretty good $$$$, and if its not private it is a c.w.m.u or a draw.

YOU MIGHT CHECK INTO THE RANCH THAT THE D.W.R JUST BOUGHT OVER
BY SUNNY SIDE. WELL I GUESS IT WAS A LAND SWAP WITH ONE OF THE
C.W.M.U'S OVER THERE....I HAVE BEEN OVER THER AND THERE ARE SOME
GOOD BULLS IN THERE...P.M ME FOR MORE DETAILS.

The land swap is in the cold springs area and there is alot of poeple that hunted it this and last year, but there still might just be one old bull hanging around somewhere in cold springs.

My father-in-law has a cwmu right there directly west of range creek. I know that there is some good public land to hunt on, and it is accessible to the public. Let me know if you want some more information about the property lines and I can get it for you. You do want to be careful because if you happen to hunt on a cwmu, even by accident, it is a felony. So let me know if you want some info on the boundaries of public and private. In fact I am hunting some of the public land myself on the muzzleloader.

rump

In response to your message. I told my father I would help him out by guiding him around on the muzzy ELK hunt this year. He is disabled but can at least hike a little and ride a 4 wheeler. I would love to know where this area is that you mentioned and especially have a map. I am not familiar with the area at all myself. I generally hunt Current Creek spike area during rifle season with the rest of the crowds. If you don't mind I would appreciate any help not sure how much longer the old man will be out doing this and he is a die hard elk hunter. Would be great to just see some elk and chase them around with him this year..
Thanks and good luck this year....

>My father-in-law has a cwmu right
>there directly west of range
>creek. I know that there
>is some good public land
>to hunt on, and it
>is accessible to the public.
>Let me know if you
>want some more information about
>the property lines and I
>can get it for you.
>You do want to be
>careful because if you happen
>to hunt on a cwmu,
>even by accident, it is
>a felony. So let me
>know if you want some
>info on the boundaries of
>public and private. In fact
>I am hunting some of
>the public land myself on
>the muzzleloader.
>
>rump

I know that you can go up bruin point and drop into southern range creek, you will need a map for the boundaries though, Their is some publi land down there that you can hunt. One cwmu owner up there that owns land around the road on bruin peak, tries to run us off every year, but it is a public land road and you can take it to the public land down in range creek. If you go up nine mile you can get access to cottonwood canyon as well which is some good hunting up there as well. It is all pretty rough country and so your father might have a hard time getting around. But the best thing to do would be to go and check the places out first, see how accessible they are and how rough they would be for your father and then contact the blm or landowners for some maps with the propery boundaries.

I was in Range Creek last weekend, and hunt it every year.
The DWR has made most of the area Limited Entry Bull Elk.
Good Luck

I got a question for you guys if you did own land up there would you gladly let people come and go and dump things and shoot signs and whatever else a bunch of people can do to a place. just think of that.

Rumple-
I apprecite the info. I will go check it out and let you know what I come up with. Good luck this yr.
Thanks-

H.E. DOUBLE L NO!!! I WOULD LET PEOPLE ON ON PROPERTY IN RANGE CREEK AND THE LAND OWNERS IN THE RANGE CREEK AREA DON'T EITHER!!

Ditto on a lot of what's already been said.

Keep in mind that the public land is now a draw for bull elk. You HAVE to be on private to harvest a bull, unless you've drawn a permit...

Good luck!

Arch,
Was your response with a little irritation? I wouldnt let people do that to my land if I owned some. I would be picky about who I let up there too, if I spent alot of money on some good land I would want to enjoy it and keep it looking good. If people werent treating the land right I wouldnt let them back on. The sad thing about it is that private land owners are buying up so much land that the puhlic is getting more and more restricted so maybe thats why they trash the place, because they can afford the outrages prices that land is going for.
What do you think?

rump

I spent two weeks at Range Creek and in Cold Springs this year during the archery deer hunt and seen some good bulls, but this is a Limited Entry Elk Unit.

Anyone wanting to hunt the open bull part of the Range Creek unit needs to locate some good maps of all the private and non-private country. The boundary of the open bull and the limited enrty bull area is pretty clear, but the private lands on the open bull area are pretty un-clear. I have spent my whole life hunting the Range Creek and it gets more frustrating each year. More and more private land and less and less animals. There is some good land to hunt but you better be able strap a pack on to get there. Not alot of this country is going to be hunted from a truck or a four-wheeler. We have taken some good bulls of the open bull end of this unit, but it involves alot of work. I was lucky enough to draw the one limited entry archery bull tag offered on this unit. I killed a nice bull, but even if you draw the limited tag for this unit there is still not alot of public land to hunt that is very accessable to the common hunter. Good luck to all those hunting this unit.

Anyone wanting to hunt the open bull part of the Range Creek unit needs to locate some good maps of all the private and non-private country. The boundary of the open bull and the limited enrty bull area is pretty clear, but the private lands on the open bull area are pretty un-clear. I have spent my whole life hunting the Range Creek and it gets more frustrating each year. More and more private land and less and less animals. There is some good land to hunt but you better be able strap a pack on to get there. Not alot of this country is going to be hunted from a truck or a four-wheeler. We have taken some good bulls of the open bull end of this unit, but it involves alot of work. I was lucky enough to draw the one limited entry archery bull tag offered on this unit. I killed a nice bull, but even if you draw the limited tag for this unit there is still not alot of public land to hunt that is very accessable to the common hunter. Good luck to all those hunting this unit.
Hey, do you mind if I ask you a few questions about this unit through email? [email protected]

Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom