NM 17 Muzzleloader Oct 17-21

Jasp_NM

I scouted unit 17 just after the archery hunt, but it was hot and windy. I didn't see any activity down in the flats. I'm looking for some tips on how to hunt this unit in October. I drew the first muzzle loader, which starts October 17. It looks like I will get some cooler weather. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I can't help you with 17, but can tell you I'm jealous of your draw. Big bulls in that unit. I just came back from 13 2nd archery. Hot and dry, lot of water dried up in places we are used to hunting them. Had the elk, and hunters, concentrated. Elk were very obviously pressured relative to years past. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll have a great hunt and see some awesome bulls!

Did you look for water? I've heard that most of the water tanks in the area are dry already, so if you can find the ones that are still holding water, there are most likely elk in the area.

Also, if you can find areas that are green, those might be areas to try and spend some time as I've heard that the mountains are very brown and dry right now.

thanks for all of your responses. No, I haven't found water. I will do some scouting two days prior to the hunt. Best of luck to everyone this year! I will reply with a report and with any luck, a nice photo of a Bull!

Well, while it was a very nice hunt, I did not score. Most Bulls were taking solitude in the steep and deep. I did have a very nice 7X7 cross in front of my quad as I was relocating from the rolling hills of the P and J, to higher terrain. He was with ~7 or 8 cows and a couple of young bulls.. Super nice animal, but my rifle was in the gun boot and he was long gone by the time I was ready. I did spend the majority of the hunt trying to set up for him or others in that same area. Ranged him at 600 yards on the last day. Stalked to 310 and that was as close as I came. It was hot and windy. 7AM to 9AM are the hours where I saw movement. I could not locate animals in the late evening. Beautiful area! I'd do that again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom