NM Bull Elk rifle recommendation

Redbluff77

My father drew his first ever bull elk tag for New Mexico. He's 70 years old. Getting up there in age. He will be shooting a .338 Winchester mag w/ 210 grain Barnes bullets, or hand loaded 210 grain bullets from a military sniper buddy. Would you guys recommend this rifle for elk? We have hunted mule deer, blacktail deer, and wild boar, for all of our past hunts with a .270 or 30.06. thanks in advance. (y)

My father drew his first ever bull elk tag for New Mexico. He's 70 years old. Getting up there in age. He will be shooting a .338 Winchester mag w/ 210 grain Barnes bullets, or hand loaded 210 grain bullets from a military sniper buddy. Would you guys recommend this rifle for elk? We have hunted mule deer, blacktail deer, and wild boar, for all of our past hunts with a .270 or 30.06. thanks in advance. (y)
Any of those will work.

The 30-06 would be just fine, if that .338 has to much.

Does anyone know where my dad can buy a box of 338 Win Mag bullets? He says that most of the sporting goods stores in Salt Lake County, Utah have sold out of 338. Bullets. His New Mexico elk hunt is coming up in 2 weeks. He shouldn’t of waited this long to find some bullets. This is my dad’s first elk hunt and I want him to be successful. Does anyone on the forums have an extra box of 338 bullets that father can buy? We are located in southern Salt Lake County, Utah. Thanks (y)

There’s no .338 on shelves anywhere and hasnt been for months. I hate to say it but if you are reliant of factory ammo found locally, you better find a different rifle.

If you’re willing to order, AmmoSeek is your friend.

Yes, the rifle has been sighted in. His friend from the military normally handloads all of his 338. ammo. The guy is out of town. Looks like my dad will be using the ole 30.06. This really is just poor hunt planning on my dad's part. There is no excuse.

There’s no .338 on shelves anywhere and hasnt been for months. I hate to say it but if you are reliant of factory ammo found locally, you better find a different rifle.

If you’re willing to order, AmmoSeek is your friend.
Thanks for that recommendation

Because I can't take the shot for him. I'm permanently paralyzed from the chest on down and permanently confined to a wheelchair. I can hardly sit up straight in my wheelchair. My bro in law promised me that he would have my dad dialed in to shoot a rifle. That didn't happen. My dad was set on shooting his 30.06, but he changed his mind 2 weeks ago. He now wants to shoot the 338. Thanks for help guys ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom