NM Draw Application Process Open

bjn7f0

Hi All,
The Application period for NM is now open. Draw 1 is for bear and turkey and draw 2 is for everything else. Deadline is March 15th. Good luck to everyone! I haven't drawn for elk archery in 4 years so I'm hoping this is my year....

I’m all in as of today. Good luck to everybody.

BradA, I’ve been meaning to call you about that sheep hunt. I’ll get to it soon….

Anyone know if you can edit your application after it's submitted?

I would like to change one of my choices.

Yes, you can change. You will need to delete your first app and then reapply. You will be refunded all except the app fee on the one you delete....

Looking for a little help. I applied with a tag application service. I have used them for several years. This year I applied using a guided option as NR to up my odds and have a signed contract with a guide. How can I check on my application to verify that the service
Put me in the guided pool. The reason I am nervous is that the application service didn’t apply me for the correct hunts. I can review my application and they messed up. I just can’t tell if I am in the outfitter application pool or not.

I am low odds anyway but it would really suck to pay for the guided hunt option and not get the corresponding bump in odds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Looking for a little help. I applied with a tag application service. I have used them for several years. This year I applied using a guided option as NR to up my odds and have a signed contract with a guide. How can I check on my application to verify that the service
Put me in the guided pool. The reason I am nervous is that the application service didn’t apply me for the correct hunts. I can review my application and they messed up. I just can’t tell if I am in the outfitter application pool or not.

I am low odds anyway but it would really suck to pay for the guided hunt option and not get the corresponding bump in odds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did the application service put you in to increase your chances of a drawing out? That's how those guys make their money and stay in business.

They pretend something like the Monte Carlo method actually means something with predictability relative to NM's draw process...

Did the application service put you in to increase your chances of a drawing out? That's how those guys make their money and stay in business.

They pretend something like the Monte Carlo method actually means something with predictability relative to NM's draw process...
Nope. I chose the units.

I thought you could sign the contract and get in the bonus pool, and not have to actually pay the outfitter anything unless you draw. If you dont draw contract is torn up?

Got it figured out with a call to NM. They put me in the guided draw with one wrong choice. Not the end of the world and I would be ecstatic to draw any tag. Thanks for the help and good luck in the draw.

I thought you could sign the contract and get in the bonus pool, and not have to actually pay the outfitter anything unless you draw. If you dont draw contract is torn up?
I entered the guided NR draw a few years ago and the outfitter gave me a # that was entered in the app process. Didnt have to sign a contract, didnt pay anything. Has that changed?

I am only obligated if I draw. I am not out anything just didn’t want to miss the better odds. They have tightened up a few loose ends in the guided draw process.

Usually no ogligations unless you draw. If you draw then you HAVE TO GO with that outfitter. The outfitter can release you to go with another outfitter but since the tag was drawn in the outfitted pool you have to go with an outfitter.

The wait begins good luck all I here applications numbers were high again like last year?

Usually no ogligations unless you draw. If you draw then you HAVE TO GO with that outfitter. The outfitter can release you to go with another outfitter but since the tag was drawn in the outfitted pool you have to go with an outfitter.

The wait begins good luck all I here applications numbers were high again like last year?
A number of outfitters have implicated a app fee these days. Other than that you’re correct , no obligations OTHER THAN having the proper contract filled out prior to applying.

You want to see your application numbers explode start a new points system. Everyone and there dog will be applying just to get the points.

No points system is a good thing, you only get the people applying that truly plan on hunting that year.

Didn't say I wanted a point system. The reason the app numbers keep climbing is because there is no point system, no penalty for getting into the game late. There is no price to pay for sitting out.

Everything has a cost, and with no point system the app numbers will climb every year, especially when people tune into these social media "influencers" telling everyone the benefits of applying in states with no point system.

That's the dilemma with a no point system. Your odds get worse and worse every year the more and more unpenalized people apply.

A waiting period is the only real remedy, but then, those who are just plain "Powerball lucky" all the time don't like that at all...

Didn't say I wanted a point system. The reason the app numbers keep climbing is because there is no point system, no penalty for getting into the game late. There is no price to pay for sitting out.

Everything has a cost, and with no point system the app numbers will climb every year, especially when people tune into these social media "influencers" telling everyone the benefits of applying in states with no point system.

That's the dilemma with a no point system. Your odds get worse and worse every year the more and more unpenalized people apply.

A waiting period is the only real remedy, but then, those who are just plain "Powerball lucky" all the time don't like that at all...

Those influencers probably bought landowner tags, funny how that works? Points are absolute garbage, states continue to change the systems, just charging fees all over the place.

A straight lottery like NM at least allows the next generation a chance. Funny how people always talk me me me. What about the next generation when they are done with the incredible youth opportunities? They'll wait 10-20 years for a low quality elk tag, MAYBE if the are lucky to pay into the system that long and the rug isn't pulled out.

Those influencers probably bought landowner tags, funny how that works? Points are absolute garbage, states continue to change the systems, just charging fees all over the place.

A straight lottery like NM at least allows the next generation a chance. Funny how people always talk me me me. What about the next generation when they are done with the incredible youth opportunities? They'll wait 10-20 years for a low quality elk tag, MAYBE if the are lucky to pay into the system that long and the rug isn't pulled out.

I'll make it easy on you. Randy Newberg, for example, doesn't buy land owner tags. Funny, right?

Your argument loses steam in the garbage NR UT and now WY systems. People putting in for WY moose literally have no chance until they die basically.

Please explain why the NM application pool increases each year all the while people become more educated about NM's draw process.

It always amazes me at how many times people read a post and stop the instant they disagree with something before reading to the end for context and then fire off a life altering post about it.

The illusion of a no point system is an equal chance every year all the while application numbers continue to climb because there is no point system giving an equal chance every year making the ability to draw more difficult every year for everyone.

An odds outcome simulation ran 1,000 times is really no different than a point system to the highest point holder. The point system forces a waiting period.

So, if anyone makes it to the end of this post, I am not in favor of a conventional point system.

The next generation will adjust just like my generation adjusted to less animals, less hunt days and less hunt opportunities. My dad used to send a note to school saying my boy will be gone the next two weeks deer hunting, please send his school work home with him. The teachers bundled it all up and sent it with me. You can’t do that nowadays, you can’t do a lot of things nowadays but you adjust. Our youth will be just fine.

I'll make it easy on you. Randy Newberg, for example, doesn't buy land owner tags. Funny, right?

Please explain why the NM application pool increases each year all the while people become more educated about NM's draw process.

It always amazes me at how many times people read a post and stop the instant they disagree with something before reading to the end for context and then fire off a life altering post about it.

The illusion of a no point system is an equal chance every year all the while application numbers continue to climb because there is no point system giving an equal chance every year making the ability to draw more difficult every year for everyone.

An odds outcome simulation ran 1,000 times is really no different than a point system to the highest point holder. The point system forces a waiting period.

So, if anyone makes it to the end of this post, I am not in favor of a conventional point system.
Actually I do believe Randy had landowner tags with the Leupold CEO in NM that one year, he said as much. Funny right?

Every pool increases yearly, including NM. I'd gladly take a lottery ticket over a tag promised in 10 years, sorry system changed now it's 20. Ohh wait sorry changed again, now it will be 40 years and the tag costs $10k + it's been $400/yr for a point including the $100 app fee and another $300 combo license(see WY in a few years). So yes a lottery is better, but your money.

Huge COVID bump in '21, but hunter recruitment hasn't really gone up, just more people hunting in multiple states. Ohh no more people hunting, ohh darn. Don't like it? Move to a state that offers more hunting opportunity.

But yes I favor waiting periods.

Actually I do believe Randy had landowner tags with the Leupold CEO in NM that one year, he said as much. Funny right?

Every pool increases yearly, including NM. I'd gladly take a lottery ticket over a tag promised in 10 years, sorry system changed now it's 20. Ohh wait sorry changed again, now it will be 40 years and the tag costs $10k + it's been $400/yr for a point including the $100 app fee and another $300 combo license(see WY in a few years). So yes a lottery is better, but your money.

Huge COVID bump in '21, but hunter recruitment hasn't really gone up, just more people hunting in multiple states. Ohh no more people hunting, ohh darn. Don't like it? Move to a state that offers more hunting opportunity.

Waiting periods are a terrible idea in my opinion. As you get older you realize you’ve only got a few hunts left in you. I would hate to be all crippled up or dead when my waiting period expired. I will take my chances on the current system.

Which time? When the CEO's wife had the tag and they hunted either 34 or 36? Pretty sure Newberg and his crew have more public land tags. Regardless though, doing an 18 minute video teaching people about it doesn't help...

Really don't care about WY. But, when you actually do go 10 years without actually drawing a tag, then come back and we'll discuss and see how you feel about.

Especially when they learned how they could jump in without losing out to someone ahead of them. As far as moving to another state - that is the ultimate goal, because that other state has more to offer than just more hunting opportunity.

On this we agree.

Waiting periods are a terrible idea in my opinion. As you get older you realize you’ve only got a few hunts left in you. I would hate to be all crippled up or dead when my waiting period expired. I will take my chances on the current system.

I'm only talking about a year or two, not the ridiculous 5 like UT does and it's only applied to the species you drew the previous year. NM did it that way once for rifle elk only. Then they tried that for oryx, which was stupid, because it was applied to birth year and you could only apply every other year based on even/odd years regardless if you drew the oryx tag or not.

Everyone gets older, and when you don't draw because of poor odds, it's all the same anyway.

If you're dead, it's irrelevant whether or not you're able to put in every year or your one or two year wait period is over...

I'm only talking about a year or two, not the ridiculous 5 like UT does and it's only applied to the species you drew the previous year. NM did it that way once for rifle elk only. Then they tried that for oryx, which was stupid, because it was applied to birth year and you could only apply every other year based on even/odd years regardless if you drew the oryx tag or not.

Everyone gets older, and when you don't draw because of poor odds, it's all the same anyway.

If you're dead, it's irrelevant whether or not you're able to put in every year or your one or two year wait period is over...
2 years is too much, 1 year is too much. Lots of things happen over the course of a year or two. NM has done a lot of different things over the years and not much has improved. I would protest a point system and a waiting period. I want to be dead and still hold every license NM has to offer and have it placed in my obituary so you can comment on it!?

Last edited:
2 years is too much, 1 year is too much. Lots of things happen over the course of a year or two. NM has done a lot of different things over the years and not much has improved. I would protest a point system and a waiting period. I want to be dead and still hold every license NM has to offer and have it placed in my obituary so you can comment on it!?

I don't look at obituaries, so...

But as an FYI to you, I'm hopefully finishing up a 4 year waiting period after this year.

Randy Newberg has absolutely hunted NM on private land elk and antelope tags , and I don't blame the man at all if I could hunt other states like he does Id be all in..
I hate point systems , looked at Huntin Fool last night and a new Wyoming NR moose hunter might draw a tag before a hunter who has stacked up 20 years worth of points , talk about getting back doored by the "point system" people cry out for ..

Being able to draw every other year based on your year of birth is an interesting idea. Theoretically it could cut applicants in half. And if done by species everyone could put in for something every year, just not the same species.

I am no stats expert, but how much will your odds increase in popular units with a waiting period???
And the next question to this is what units would be designated a wait period hunt? Elk , the 16s' , 15 , 34 & 36 .Deer? Really NM deer numbers are not good .
I will get hated on for this but I think NM resident deer licenses should be increased. $41 to hunt deer yet Javelina is $65 (and you don't even have to take the meat out of the field) to enter the draw. Every year deer applications climb yet deer numbers go down. At $41 its nothing for every yahoo to decide to throw their name in the hat . The dept could reduce tag numbers in many units that need it and if NM want to hunt they will still pay the increase and the dept will not miss out on any funds. This would also make some people have to decide on a deer app at a n increase to $65.00. Ask NM hunters like NMPaul how the deer numbers are as guys like him are out in it many more days a year than the dept biologists! Years ago the dept closed unit 10 they called the Zuni Mtns for 10 years . When they reopened it it was the best deer hunt in the state , but mis management , poaching has turned this unit into nothing more than another "opportunity hunt" as I was told . How about unit 9 for elk?

My point is there needs to be change sooner than later , many units need reduced numbers and a couple should be shut down for a season or two . Look at AZ elk unit 8 , perfect example how the dept in AZ rotates this unit for early muzzle loader hunts. IMO deer fees should be increased, if STINK PIG is $65 then our deer deserve and should be at least that.(bring the hate)
BUT to do this the game commission would have to have this presented to them by the G&F , and then the governor would have to agree and and then it goes to the legislature for that process. A lot of road blocks with too many persons who simply do not care about the NM outdoorsman , these privilege's to hunt big game here and if they have nothing to personally gain the feeling is it won't happen.
To conserve,regulate ,propagate & protect the wildlife and fish within the state of NM USING FLEXABLE management system that ensures sustainable use for public food supply , recreation and safety- and to provide for off highway motor vehicle blah blah blah...This is the (run on sentence) statement on page 1 of every NM game and fish for many years. So my question is where is the flexable management ? If i dont draw for years to come although I would be sad and angry at times , my son and daughter have a shady future to enjoy hunting with in our home state .RANT OVER

Randy Newberg has absolutely hunted NM on private land elk and antelope tags , and I don't blame the man at all if I could hunt other states like he does Id be all in..
I hate point systems , looked at Huntin Fool last night and a new Wyoming NR moose hunter might draw a tag before a hunter who has stacked up 20 years worth of points , talk about getting back doored by the "point system" people cry out for ..

Yeah, he's hunted private. He's also the biggest spokesman for public land hunting, so, the original statement about social media influencers:

Those influencers probably bought landowner tags, funny how that works?

buying landowner tags removing themselves from the equation of competing in the public draws and then talking about it doesn't necessarily apply to him based on the amount of public land with public tags he does hunt.

The point is, before being derailed, is that highly visible people in the hunting world are cluing people in unwilling to do their own research adding to the applicant pool every year. If that's difficult for someone to understand, I can't help them.

Which time? When the CEO's wife had the tag and they hunted either 34 or 36? Pretty sure Newberg and his crew have more public land tags. Regardless though, doing an 18 minute video teaching people about it doesn't help...

RMEF had the LO tags I think, the CEO also had them the prior year or whatever. Don't recall. You can search for it

Really don't care about WY. But, when you actually do go 10 years without actually drawing a tag, then come back and we'll discuss and see how you feel about.

Apply for unit that's are easier to draw, problem solved.

Especially when they learned how they could jump in without losing out to someone ahead of them. As far as moving to another state - that is the ultimate goal, because that other state has more to offer than just more hunting opportunity.

Give and take. I'd rather have a lottery system, then be 30 years behind and have my kids be in the same spot. Next generation is all that matters

buying landowner tags removing themselves from the equation of competing in the public draws and then talking about it doesn't necessarily apply to him based on the amount of public land with public tags he does hunt.

The point is, before being derailed, is that highly visible people in the hunting world are cluing people in unwilling to do their own research adding to the applicant pool every year. If that's difficult for someone to understand, I can't help them.

That's the gist, claim public land this and then can't draw buy land owner tags/have them given to them. All about the likes on the gram.

“Which time? When the CEO's wife had the tag and they hunted either 34 or 36? Pretty sure Newberg and his crew have more public land tags. Regardless though, doing an 18 minute video teaching people about it doesn't help...”

I wish I was there I’m a way sexier cow caller than Randy ??
I’d probably give her my tag ??

Hahaha

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom