NM game and fish roadblock

WaylandCanyon

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-17 AT 06:05AM (MST)[p]Seems someone brought this up here a while back. Well, I was fooling around in the Sacramentos south of Cloudcroft yesterday, and when I came down Highway 24 from Weed to where it joins Highway 130 on the Rio Pe?asco, there were about a half-dozen game warden rigs and all lanes blocked. A very polite Officer Peralta asked if I had done any hunting and then waved me on. First time I have seen a roadblock of this nature.
By the way, I stopped and chatted with a party of about a half-dozen deer hunters camped along the E-11 Surveyor's Canyon road west of Pi?on. They had just been told my a warden to move their camp off private land, even thought they had been checked there by another warden the day before. I got out my Lincoln National Forest map and it was very clear that there is all kinds of private land in that country that is marked on this map as public. Don't rely on it for determining public vs. private!

Get OnXmaps, break out your phone and politely say. Sir, I'm on public land you are mistaken. OR look at your OnXmap and say before you ever set up camp...I can't camp here this is private land.

No excuses anymore with wardens or us sportsman on what's public or private with the technology that excists today.

Just my personal thoughts....

"Get OnXmaps, break out your phone and politely say. Sir, I'm on public land you are mistaken. OR look at your OnXmap and say before you ever set up camp...I can't camp here this is private land.
No excuses anymore with wardens or us sportsman on what's public or private with the technology that excists today."

Other than the fact that OnX isn't a legal description for a parcel and in several instances I know of, isn't accurate at all when showing public vs private. The warden had the same OnX map in his gps but it doesn't really matter when the map is wrong.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom