NM Hunting License Question

505Hunter

My wife and I are planning on moving out of the state this year, we just aren't sure exactly when that might take place.

My dilemma is trying to figure out if I want to apply for any tags this year in the event that we might not be here come June.

With that being said, if I were to put in for a tag and draw it, then we end up moving in June/July (or even later in the year), does that cancel the tag or count as a non-resident? Or would the tag still be valid for this year and any subsequent tags would be considered non-resident?

Thanks for the insight.

You're a resident here until you have gone through the process of becoming a resident elsewhere (own property, live there certain amount of time, driver's license, etc. etc.) There are some rules for how long you're in one place or the other, that I don't know the specifics of, but technically you could live somewhere else and come back here often enough to keep residency here if you really wanted to. Of course that would mean you wouldn't be a resident of whatever other state you relocate to with regards to hunting tags.

You're a resident here until you have gone through the process of becoming a resident elsewhere (own property, live there certain amount of time, driver's license, etc. etc.) There are some rules for how long you're in one place or the other, that I don't know the specifics of, but technically you could live somewhere else and come back here often enough to keep residency here if you really wanted to. Of course that would mean you wouldn't be a resident of whatever other state you relocate to with regards to hunting tags.
That makes sense. I just wanted to make sure that if I put in and drew anything, that I wouldn't have to forfeit the license because of residency requirements. Because if that is the case, then I wouldn't even put in.

We just don't know when we will be out of here (pending other requirements), so if I can squeak in the possibility of hunting I want to lol.

That makes sense. I just wanted to make sure that if I put in and drew anything, that I wouldn't have to forfeit the license because of residency requirements. Because if that is the case, then I wouldn't even put in.

We just don't know when we will be out of here (pending other requirements), so if I can squeak in the possibility of hunting I want to lol.

Also may depend on which hunt timeframe. If you left in June and drew an August BHS or a Sept archery elk, then you'd still be a resident, especially if you still owned property in NM. As long as you're a resident when the hunt begins...

As mentioned above, you're still a resident until you officially qualify for residency of your new state. The first thing you should though once you have been in the new state for a few weeks is to buy yourself a non-residence fishing license just because to show you aren't trying to double dip.

Some states require you to demonstrate you're there for something other than a special purpose before they even allow you to take benefit of resident status. Buying home isn't one of them because people owns homes in multiple states all the time but are a resident of one.

Worse case scenario is NM would have you pay the difference in tag fees to keep the hunt you drew if your status changes.

Also may depend on which hunt timeframe. If you left in June and drew an August BHS or a Sept archery elk, then you'd still be a resident, especially if you still owned property in NM. As long as you're a resident when the hunt begins...

As mentioned above, you're still a resident until you officially qualify for residency of your new state. The first thing you should though once you have been in the new state for a few weeks is to buy yourself a non-residence fishing license just because to show you aren't trying to double dip.

Some states require you to demonstrate you're there for something other than a special purpose before they even allow you to take benefit of resident status. Buying home isn't one of them because people owns homes in multiple states all the time but are a resident of one.

Worse case scenario is NM would have you pay the difference in tag fees to keep the hunt you drew if your status changes.
Good idea and advice. I am primarily looking at doing the first rifle elk season and muzzleloader. So, likely between the first and second week of October. Our current timeline is looking like I won't be a resident come that time, but tough to say.

I don't expect to draw.. since I haven't held a tag for the last 7 years, but still worth a shot if possible. Would be nice to make it my last "hooraw" before leaving the state for good. We do not plan on keeping property here, quite frankly, we don't want anything to do with the state (except for existing family, obviously). We typically fish in the state we are looking at moving to (UT) so having a non-resident fishing license is already on our books.

If the only difference is paying the fee differential, I'd be fine with that for keeping my tag LOL.

If you are a resident during the application process and get a tag then you’re good. If you really want the right answer check the proclamation or call NMDGF to be sure you get the right answer

If you are a resident during the application process and get a tag then you’re good. If you really want the right answer check the proclamation or call NMDGF to be sure you get the right answer
This makes sense- I know other states clearly state that.

I would be very careful with much of the advice above.

Especially if you show back up in NM for your hunt with a new DL, OOS license plates, OOS address, OOS pay-stubs, etc.

I guarantee there is no "just pay the difference now that you're a NR". If that was the case, everyone would apply as a R for better odds, then "just so happen" to be a NR when it's time to pay and hunt.
Still, the bottom line is you can only be a resident of one state at a time. So if you haven't gone through the steps to become a R elsewhere, you're still a R here. What those detailed steps are you'd have to look into.
And I agree if you show up with a OOS license, license plates, etc. and a R tag you're treading on very thin ice.

Here is the actual requirement:

A United States citizen who has resided in N.M. for a period of not less than 90 days immediately preceding the date of application (or purchase) for the license, has been domiciled in N.M., and has not claimed residency elsewhere for any purpose.

It doesn't say anything about being a resident at the time of the hunt- just at the time of application. But calling them up and asking wouldn't hurt.

I would be very careful with much of the advice above.

Especially if you show back up in NM for your hunt with a new DL, OOS license plates, OOS address, OOS pay-stubs, etc.

Hence the statement of paying the difference. You obviously would be talking to the game dept about your situation.

People move all the time in an application, draw, and hunt process. I am quite certain people haven't had to surrender a tag because of it.

I guarantee there is no "just pay the difference now that you're a NR". If that was the case, everyone would apply as a R for better odds, then "just so happen" to be a NR when it's time to pay and hunt.
Still, the bottom line is you can only be a resident of one state at a time. So if you haven't gone through the steps to become a R elsewhere, you're still a R here. What those detailed steps are you'd have to look into.
And I agree if you show up with a OOS license, license plates, etc. and a R tag you're treading on very thin ice.

A knucklehead in AZ/UT tried that with a Desert BH tag he was guaranteed in getting with resident points. He was from AZ, "moved" to UT long enough (6 months) to claim residency, applied and drew the tag. He then moved back to AZ. Ended up in court over it. What the outcome was I don't know because I didn't care enough to follow it all the way through. Likely convicted - small town in UT with locals on the jury...

Which is why most states make you have a reason other than a special purpose, aka, college, military, employment, etc.

Here is the actual requirement:

A United States citizen who has resided in N.M. for a period of not less than 90 days immediately preceding the date of application (or purchase) for the license, has been domiciled in N.M., and has not claimed residency elsewhere for any purpose.

It doesn't say anything about being a resident at the time of the hunt- just at the time of application. But calling them up and asking wouldn't hurt.

Except 505Hunter is moving from NM, not to NM. The above is irrelevant to the state moving to (UT) which carries a 6 month residency process.

Except 505Hunter is moving from NM, not to NM. The above is irrelevant to the state moving to (UT) which carries a 6 month residency process.
I hear ya- except there is no provision for "to/from" in the regulations. Just quoted exactly what the regulations say. If the law is interpreted differently than the regulations say, OK...

I hear ya- except there is no provision for "to/from" in the regulations. Just quoted exactly what the regulations say. If the law is interpreted differently than the regulations say, OK...

After reading it again while putting down my pudding spoon, I agree, it does read that as long as you have lived in NM for 90 days [consecutively] and have not claimed residency in [Utah] after the application [deadline], then you would still qualify as a resident for the hunt.

NM's stipulation is 90 days for residency, excpet for tuition purposes and then it's a year (like most states).

If you draw a license , and move after the fact , you are still eligible to come back and hunt on the resident license you drew.You met all requirements of entering and drawing as a resident and then moved .Happens every year, but you can have some comfort knowing you can still come back and hunt that license with no worry or additional fees.

If you draw a license , and move after the fact , you are still eligible to come back and hunt on the resident license you drew.You met all requirements of entering and drawing as a resident and then moved .Happens every year, but you can have some comfort knowing you can still come back and hunt that license with no worry or additional fees.
Thanks for the clarification Rio. Appreciate it!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom