NM sheep

nk

Quick question about quality of sheep in NM. What class rams do the best units produce? I’m considering applying in the next few years and don’t know much about the quality of Desert or RM Big Horns in NM. Don’t need units, just interested in what MM members have to say about potential?
Thx,
nk

Quick question about quality of sheep in NM. What class rams do the best units produce? I’m considering applying in the next few years and don’t know much about the quality of Desert or RM Big Horns in NM. Don’t need units, just interested in what MM members have to say about potential?
Thx,
nk
?????? Good luck in the draws!

Don't waste too much time researching the best units for trophy quality. It won't do you much good. As a nonresident you will be applying for multiple units and only get to prioritize your units but could very easily drawl your last choice.
Any sheep tag you can get will be a quality hunt.

Thanks again for the info. If you don’t put in you can’t draw. Good luck to all of you.

You can't draw if you don't apply! My 13 year old son drew the bighorn ewe tag and the youth either sex ibex tag in the same year! It was a ewe tag and of course easier to draw than the ram tag but still drawing both of those tags the same year is incredible.

Who cares if it’s a book ram or not at least you would have drawn and be hunting sheep which most can’t say they have done for themselves. I will take any sheep tag that’s in my pocket good or bad, a sheep tag is a sheep tag.
Maybe he is saying that tags and hunting pressure is low enough and quality is high enough that you'd have to be a first time hunter that doesn't know what they are doing to not shoot a "book" animal...

I found quality is best in the unit you draw, that is the hardest part. I have draw 1 sheep tag in 40 years and am blessed. Good luck to all in the draws.

I'm sorry for my delivery if those last posts were directed at me. I really just meant that our NMDGF sheep biologists have done truly an incredible job bringining sheep back into NM. I should have said that if you are fortunate enough to draw a coveted tag you have an unbelievable chance of hunting/harvesting a world class animal, but I only hope the recipients appreciate what an awesome opportunity they have with only the investment of their hunting and outdoor passion. Kudos to Eric and Caitlin @ NMDGF for their hard work. Happy hunting!

If you can’t kill a book ram on any of NM sheep hunts it would be the hunters fault. There is only one range that book rams are not easy to find but they still kill 1-2 that are close or book on that range every year.

Happy drawing because that’s the tuffest part of the hunt

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom