NM UNIT 16

That is what I have heard. That's why I put in for it. I just don't know anything about it. I'm looking for any help I can get. At least a good starting point.

There are Elk literally everywhere, throughout the sub-units. From the rough canyons, and out in the flats, and prarie areas.

Find the steep, rough canyon country and you will find bucks. Don't expect to see very many deer, but there are some very fine bucks for S. NM running around the Gila. Good luck.

I hunted that country back before it was a draw. Learned it prettty well. Killed some good Bucks and picked up some good sheds. East of Reserve. Is that the area your interested in?

I have been thinking about trying that area again but not sure how the draw works now. Its a very long drive from where I live and I have been busy hunting other states.There was a lot of game in that country but as posted above, very few deer.
I will be happy to help you. Do you have the Gila national forest map?
Send me your phone number if you like and lets chat

I would have to say this is a great sleeper unit that has mature bucks and great genetics. I would have to say I might pick this unit over unit 2 as far as trying to kill a book buck. With that said I have to agree that the deer numbers have taken a serious hit from predation and are harder to find but I have always been impressed with the size of deer we see while elk hunting in September. The area above the cliff dwellings has produced some real toads. Up around loco mountain I have seeing as many as 12 herded up bucks cruising together with large bucks in that group. Last year around the flying V there were some true giants hanging out there. I almost was tempted to apply for this unit just for what we were seeing in that area. Above snow lake closer to teachers tank we usually see a few good bucks in that area. The burn scar really helps when glassing up big bucks. In general the whole unit has potential but will in no way be an easy hunt! The biggest buck I have seen in unit 16 was while eating lunch at the lookout tower at Negrito, that deer still haunts my dreams and I often go back in that area with the hopes of seeing perhaps his kids or grand kids but, I have not seen another deer in that area since! Good luck and hope you find success!

If I'm not mistaken, the first few areas you talked about are in the wilderness (16b), correct?

I think I've seen your Negrito buck (or his progeny). It was an archery elk hunt, and while walking through the juniper back behind the air base I came face to face with a huge buck at about 30 yards. I honestly thought it was an elk, so I just kept walking a few feet until I was behind another tree and gathered my thoughts. I replayed the scene in my mind and realized, "no that was a huge buck!" I circled around and saw him again, one of the best looking bucks I've seen anywhere.

That being said, I've hunted either deer or elk in 16 every year for the last 3 years (this will be the 4th), and that is the only big scoring buck I've ever seen there. I've seen large-bodied bucks with disappointingly small antlers up on Bear Wallow mountain. I've seen herds of doe and juveniles in 16e. Just never seen those monsters. I've repeatedly heard talk of some Coues deer, but when I try to get locations it ends up being private areas along 12 between Reserve and Apache Creek.
Maybe this year will be the year.

I thought the rifle hunts in 16 were designated to either A,B,C,D or E. I know the Archery hunt is all units combined all of 16. I'll have to look at the proclamation tomorrow.

Lets see ... 6 posts and visibly states he put in for the unit and knows nothing about it and hes now asking for help. Heres my input put some as in your vehicle grab a map and start scouting you should prob do this before you apply for a unit with that said you will have to work for a deer here and based on your applying for a tag with know knowledge im not sure that is up your alley. I dont want to here the bashing i just thin kit funny when people do this

Curious as to why you didn't say the same thing to the post in the NM forum to the individual who is elk hunting in unit 2, stated he is a non-resident and never set foot in that unit but you offered up information without chastising him. Just saying :D

Ok Bobby. I got this as my 3rd choice. I've never been there. Yes I asked for some help, so I would have an idea where to get my ass in my truck get a map and start scouting. You know nothing about my work ethics. I'm not afraid to work for a deer. I work hard every day that's why I don't have a ton of time to go scouting. We has hunters and sportsmen help each other. I have helped others in the past for units I do know well. I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole.

Congratulations on drawing that tag. I've been trying to draw an elk tag in 16B for years. I have hunted 15 NE of Reserve and done some more scouting in the area as well. I'd be glad to visit with you and tell you what little I know.

The more I think about the reply you received on this the more it pisses me off. Believe me you have done the right thing. I've done research down to a gnats ass on an area and then didn't draw the tag so what good did that do? Now that you've drawn the tag do your research and go kill something.

00000658.JPG

Wouldn't call 16 a "Sleeper Unit". This is the best buck I've spotted in person or on cam over the course of an entire year. Had a great hunt this last fall, but all bucks I spotted were small. Takes a ton of time and money to scout the area and many 4 day weekends. If you don't have time and energy to scout 16, put in for a different unit.

If you want to pm me I can give you some direction on where I’ve seen decent bucks in the unit while elk hunting, granted that was 2019, but you never know..

I drew deer Bow hunt in unit 16 the gila. Can anyone give me advice on where The higher population of deer in unit 16 are Or where to start

I drew deer Bow hunt in unit 16 the gila. Can anyone give me advice on where The higher population of deer in unit 16 are Or where to start
Such a huge unit...Lots of Wilderness and non-Wilderness. If I had that tag, I would likely be hunting the 16A or 16D subunits. A lot of the Wilderness burned in the recent Black Fire.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom