NM Unit 16D Gila!

tega52

I was suprised to hear that I've drawn Unit 16D Gila First Rifle hunt Oct. 14-18. I've guided the Valle Vidal for the last 5 years and know what to expect there, and also guided 15 late muzzle. What can I expect in 16D. I'm a selective hunter and want to know how high to set my standards?

Are the fires down there in this unit? If so or if not what kind of role will it play? Thanks for the info!

I just talk with my buddy that was up in that area yesterday. It seems that the fire might affect 16D if it is not contained soon. They exacuated everyone from the N BAR ranch. The fire has hit the grass and is moving fast. Maybe all you'll need to take is BBQ sauce. :)

Hopefully the monsoons hit early to stop the progression of that fire.

www.gilawildernesshunting.com

tega, my buddy and I hunted the Valle last year first rifle and drew first rifle in 16A in the Gila this year. Were you in the Valle last year first rifle? There were dead elk everywhere. We were 2 for 2, the camp next to us was 3 for 3 and across the street were 5 for 6 after the 4th morning. Hope the Gila produces a couple more for us. I guess holding out for a 350 like in 16D won't be a bad idea in 16A eh? Good luck. Who do you guide for?

I was in the Valle from the archery all the way through the last rifle, including your hunt last year. I ran the camp for USO, we were the ones at the very end of the Cimarron campground. Where in the Valle did you kill last year? How Big? The Valle is famous for shooting opportunities and LOTS of bulls, but I'm looking forward to chasing a "Big Boy". Been putting in for this area for about 5 years, and finally drew. I've guided on 15, but never on 16A or 16D. How familiar are you with this place?

what about cow, friends of my drew cow hunt on Nov 4-8 and 11-15

told them, should be easy and fast? i haven't been up there since my wife killed an 6x6 bull first day of hunt in 1999.

thanks!

vinihunt

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-06 AT 10:49AM (MST)[p]Tega, we were in the campground across from you on the side of the road with the outhouse. When we got there, we heard you had some horses in our coral for a bit. We killed both bulls in the Labelle (sp?) area. My buddy's was about 310 on the first evening and mine was around 280 on the forth morning. When we left, you guys were 5 for 6. Did the last hunter score? The camp next to us went 3 for 3. They were the Mexicans that piled 3 whole elk in the pick up. I don't know much about the Gila. Just heard about it last year from our guide. He is very suprised we drew it this year on our first try.

Okay, you were guided by the guys from Red River, Vance I think. The week that you were there we had 2 youth hunters, both younger girls in our camp along with 4 other guys. The last girl killed the last day of the hunt, probably a 300-310 bull. For two weeks following we went 6 for 6 and 4 for 4. On of them was right around 350"! As for the Gila, this is where to go to kill a big bull. I've guided unit 15, which is right across the road and both my hunters killed bulls between 330" and 340". It is a very different terrian from the Valle Vidal, very dry. There is not much that separates the units we are hunting on, a creek I think.

TEGA,

Congrats on the tag. Myself and a buddy drew this tag last year and had a BLAST!!! A 357 and a 320 bull.

Contact me at 801-725-7345 and I will let you know everything that I know. We had good info on this unit last year from the archery hunters.

Call me at 801-725-7345 or email me at [email protected]

Here are a few pic's to get you going!

PS...I have any weapon tags for unit 34 and need some help. Also could use some unit 15 help.

Alan

449dbf3d5fdb6def.jpg

449dbf726227095c.jpg

449dc0b6634ea116.jpg

Alan,

Those are some nice photos of great bulls. I'm hunting with shootwice in 16A this fall with rifle. I would imagine that 16A & D are somewhat similar since ther're so close. Did you see a lot of elk, and bulls, there? How many did you pass on and how many days did you hunt? Just trying to get a feel for what we're in for.

Thanx!

Grizzly

Moraga canyon and ghost lake areas for sure. My son drew a youth cow tag last year and we filled in the first hour of the first day. Bulls still bugling everywhere. Called in two 350 bulls just playing around...too cool.

oh yea......didn't draw a dang thing this year. Any body know where I can get a cheap cow tag?.... would like something to eat this winter

I have cow tags for unit 53. They are good for the muzzleloader hunt in early October or the 2 rifle hunts in December. I am asking $400 each. Contact me at [email protected] if you want more details.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom