NM unit 53 Elk update

elk_crazy

Just wanted to see what was going on with the hunting and how hunters were doin. Feel free to share pics. My hunt starts next Month. Good luck to you all

1st archery was pretty much a bust. Didn't see or hear of any elk taken when we were there. That hot/cold weather snap really put the kibosh on things that's for sure. It was super dry and crunchy loud then the freezing rain/snow made things even louder. Spent 7 days there and didn't hear a single bugle and only saw elk in a picture text from the one evening we didn't go hunting where we usually go. Son in law has 2nd hunt so headed back to help him out on Thursday.

Man. this weather has screwed everything up across the board. I’m sorry to hear that about your hunt. I hope you and your son in law get into them

Shot my first archery bull in 53 on September 8th at 1 o' clock right before the snow storm. Bulls were fired up under the full moon and went quiet as the new moon formed. The pressure change got them fired up again, bulls were bugling from sunup to sundown on the 7th and 8th. Didn't hear a bugle after the storm during the 2 days I packed out my bull.

Elk.jpg
Elk and Me.jpg
Camp.jpg
Meat tree.jpg

I started hunting on the 15th. I've been up San Cristobal trail, Saw Mill Creek, and am now up Columbine trail around cow lake. I haven't seen or heard a bull yet.

Finally hearing some bugles over the last few days, son in law came close yesterday but just couldn't make it happen. Saw 4 nice bulls with about 30 cows, one herd bull pushing and screaming at the smaller bulls trying to keep them away. He was covered in mud but the others were clean and had really light antlers. Saw another couple bulls all alone feeding together. Most action and bugling has been around 9-10am!

Glad to hear some action is goin on up there. Good luck to y’all hopefully it will be a good rifle hunt In October also. Has anyone been getting any rain at all

Well the Son In Law finally sunk his first arrow on Monday morning, our last day to hunt! We scored him at a generous 50" P&Y!!! Not a monster in the books but a trophy for his first archery bull, best damn lomo (back-strap) I've had! Grilled medium rare butterflied with fresh green chile and colby jack on a fresh tortilla!! The other pic was my kill to celebrate!!

20200921_090127.jpg

20200919_105718.jpg

Congratulations to your SIL that’s awesome you take him hunting.

Well the Son In Law finally sunk his first arrow on Monday morning, our last day to hunt! We scored him at a generous 50" P&Y!!! Not a monster in the books but a trophy for his first archery bull, best damn lomo (back-strap) I've had! Grilled medium rare butterflied with fresh green chile and colby jack on a fresh tortilla!! The other pic was my kill to celebrate!!

View attachment 13416

View attachment 13417

Congrats to your SIL... And the BEST eating in the forest.

Toro , good job man! You guys always seem to find a way! ??
View attachment 13416

View attachment 13417

Thanks Man, I worked my A$$ off to get him in the right place at the right time! Had a really good opportunity on some other bigger bulls but he gained the experience that he needed to make those opps happen in the future. Was a fun hunt in the end and taking the newer generation out and seeing them all excited has renewed my fire.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom