NM unit 53 rifle elk 19-23

elk_crazy

Well as luck would have it I drew this for my 3rd choice. Not being successful in drawing a tag for the last eight years I'm very excited. I have hunted the southern end of the unit for elk but not up north. Just wanted to get some information I really don't know where to start. I do have google earth and on x already. Just don't know much of the area. I want to get into elk. Not looking to kill a trophy just an opportunity at least. Not looking for anyone?s honey hole just looking for any ideas on where to start. I am in shape and am not opposed to hiking in a few miles weather permitting. Any infor would be appreciated.

Best Regards and good luck to everyone his season.

Unless a guy accompanies friends every year, they have a tag themselves all the time, or are a guide "honey holes" are irrelevant in NM anymore.

I would hunt as close to Valle Vidal as I could.

The Bulls are pretty well buggered by the 2nd rifle. Close to the VV is always good but there is a good sized herd on Ute and Guadalupe also. GL
Jack

It's good that you are in shape. North 53 is brutal tough and steep. I can help with areas to Check out but it's been about 15 years since iv hunted up there. I grew up in Questa so I know the area well. PM me if you want some starting points.
Regards, Geno

>Look into Midnight Canyon!

But look out for the outfitters that work that area. You?ll know them cause they drive flat bed trucks. Last year I was sleeping in my tent and they were driving through the trees trying to clear out a route at 2 am. They were literally blazing a new route through the forest. Never seen anything like it. Another one I met coming the other way down a forest road flying really fast. He pretty much barreled down the middle and didn't care to give me room as well. I guess he had important things to do.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom