NM youth tag sucess.

littlemonster

Went 1 for 2 on the youth hunt in unit 30, it was very tough hunting with limited numbers of deer seen. The bucks that we did find are still running as they never slowed down. My middle son was able to harvest this older deer opening morning.
IMG_5740.jpg

My son shot this guy on the 8th day in unit 30. It’s his first buck. You’re right. The numbers of deer were crazy low. View attachment 19109
First off congratulations on the harvest... Is it just me or does the department of game and fish seem not to care about deer management? With these late season hunts durn the rut with high power rifles that are eliminating the future bucks for the next seasons to come. Ask anyone that had a hunt in unit 2B or in Unit 45 this year if they are seeing the same thing fewer bucks. In unit 2B the bucks harvested during that youth hunt had a hug negative impact on the deer. If this practice continues the NMG&F will ruin hunting in these prime units.

First off congratulations on the harvest... Is it just me or does the department of game and fish seem not to care about deer management? With these late season hunts durn the rut with high power rifles that are eliminating the future bucks for the next seasons to come. Ask anyone that had a hunt in unit 2B or in Unit 45 this year if they are seeing the same thing fewer bucks. In unit 2B the bucks harvested during that youth hunt had a hug negative impact on the deer. If this practice continues the NMG&F will ruin hunting in these prime units.
Thanks! It’s pretty obvious they don’t. Looks like just a money grab. The amount of tags in 30 alone was beyond overkill. I know its a big unit, but this doesn’t make sense to me. A 50% reduction in tags, and killing some yotes in this unit might do some good.

1608532135572.jpeg

I live in Farmington and have my whole life of 40 years. I have hunted all of unit 2 my whole life. The youth hunt in 2b last year IMO didn't affect the resident deer population in 2b very much.The ones who should be upset about and probably should have a lawsuit against NMDGF is the Southern Ute tribe. I still find all of unit 2 to have excellent deer numbers. I only say this from the deer that I see with my own eyes. If you know where to look, you will find great bucks. What has been hurt is the ability to road hunt and find anything bigger than a forkie. That is why most people say the unit is declining, is cuz they can't find them off the road and don't know where to look. 2b is still great!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom