NMHUNTNUTT's antelope

BuckSnort

Long Time Member
NMHUNTNUTT got this antelope in New Mexico with his muzzle loader.Congrat's nmhuntnutt,now tell us the story.

fcc6aeab.jpg

fcc6aeaa.jpg

Congrats on a beautiful buck. Like Vini said, I hope to someday draw an antelope tag here in NM. What unit did this come out of? Let's hear the story.

Droptine

Isn't this your 3rd tag in a row??? What's your secret? Fess up or I'll find a way to get it out of you, Larry! hehe...

Great Job...nice goat!

Scott G.

Larry, great Buck, especially with a Muzz. I bet you were jazzed......... Allen Taylor......

Thanks alot vini and bucksnort , I've been planning on just sending Brian the pics cuz I'm computer dumb , but you guys helped me out . Yeah I've been pretty lucky on the draws here in NM , ESPECIALLY for antelope . Four tags in the last six years , so can't complain .This buck came from unit 52 , its a muzzleloader only unit in northern NM along the CO state line . Its the third buck I've shot up there in the last four years , this unit is just awesome too . It has plenty of antelope and since its an MZ ONLY unit and only 1 hunt a year their are plenty of bucks that get to grow 14 to 16 inches .Every year somebody shoots one or two that get to true 17 , but I don't think I've seen one that big yet .As for this hunt , I passed up bucks for the first three days trying to beat the buck I'd shot the year before , and early on Monday I stalked up on a super buck with lots of mass only to have my stalk blown by another dandy buck . Welp I knew he was bigger than any of the other bucks I'd shot so after catching my breath I figured I'd let the air outta him , set up my bi-pod and let her rip , only to have my bullet kick up dirt WAY SHORT of of the big boy .O'h did my heart drop , I'd taken ALOT of pride in the fact that I'd never missed an animal with this muzzleloader I'm pretty sure I reminded my dad and brother of it often too , and to top this off my dad was up hill watching it all unfold . Being an avid bowhunter /3D shooter I feel I'm pretty good at judgeing distance , and just because ,I felt no need to lift up my range finder , WRONG !!!missed Well after meeting up with my pops and making excuses , I reloaded and headed for another area , hense , this buck was there waiting . I saw him about 500 yards on the other side of the fence feeding towards a stock tank . Once he got out of site on the other side of the burm I took off on a dead run to the tank , when I got there I had to wait a minute or so to calm down and catch my breath . Same deal , set up my bi-pod , crawled to the top of the tank and kept hidden from the sage growing on top . He didn't know what I was but that it didn't feel right , he moved up in the rocks and pinon trees , but when he cleared he was broad side staight across the hill . I ranged him , put my cross hair on his front leg aimed right at the top of his hack and pulled the trigger . BOOM , and he was of running , but real humped up .He went about 60 yards and then dropped , again my best friend and partner , my dad watched it all happen from across the canyon . He's my good luck charm , hell he's just the Best Huntin partner . Sorry it was so long , but seeing the pictures rekindled the fire , again , thanks Vini and Bucksnort.....NMhuntnutt....p.s. only two more days til my cow elk hunt with same muzzy

Congrats on a great goat with your smokepole. Great story. I guess I better get my butt in gear and post my pics and story of my antelope hunt from last year.It was my first antelope hunt and I'm hooked for good.I'm intrested in putting in for out of state tags but really havn't looked into yet.I would like to do either muzzy or archery since I did the rifle thing already.Congrats again.

Jerbear

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom