No big bucks/ all big bucks being killed

Bookhead

Very Active Member
So I've been reading allot of posts on here that the old mature bucks are just not in Colorado anymore but also that no one is killing them soooo where are they going then? 😆

Soj51hopeful

Very Active Member
They don’t last forever. The 2017 winter killed a lot of deer and since then CPW has issued so many more tags in an effort to slow the spread of cwd. They don’t reach maturity with those odds.

Country

I think a lot died of old age and a lot of younger ones were killed a long the way getting us to where we are at. Still some good ones out there and I think Colorado still produces more big bucks than any other state.

Bluehair

Long Time Member
Colorado’s deer population declined by 28% between 2006 and 2018 (CPW data).

With the recent focus on killing mature bucks, I think it’s safe to say that their demographic has declined at least that much.

Care to guess how much the licenses have declined in the same timeframe?

2lumpy

Long Time Member
What’s a “chiyetanka”? I saw a chupacabra once, but he was flying across the road in the headlights. Yes, they fly.
Lakota Sioux for Sasquatch. Lots get shot and never get posted on the internet. Same……. as big mule deer.

You know it’s true.

Bluehair

Long Time Member
Lakota Sioux for Sasquatch. Lots get shot and never get posted on the internet. Same……. as big mule deer.

You know it’s true.
I actually didn’t know there were Native American legends about squatch’s. :oops: I vaguely understand the “two spirit” origin story which proves the existence of homosexuality outside of the democrat party. I can only conclude that bigfoots are real based on chiyetonka’s.:oops:

270Whatelse

So to with big chiyetanka, dragons, unicorns. They’re there, you just need to get off the road, away from the slob hunters.
If you can't find any dragons your not trying that hard or putting in any effort. Now unicorns are another story. Ever since they they doubled the amount of tags given out its really hard to find any unicorns in the 4.5 year old or older age class. The summer of 2019 didn't help at all when it got really hot and alot of the unicorn eggs hatched early and they didn't make it.

wweaver79

After spending 16 FULL days in Gunnison this year scouting and then hunting I got a good feel for the area. Not just showing up on Friday and running four side by sides in a train one after another wondering where the deer/elk are and then shooting the first thing with horns in sight, sorry for the rant. I think it is a combination of the 16/17 winter and then increasing tags to quickly, it was trimmed back a little this year on numbers but still higher than it should be. The age structure is out of whack and may recover some with another 2 or 3 normal to light winters, but if there is another bad winter soon it will be a disaster. I did find two bucks that were shooters (180 plus) I kept the bar high, this was out of approximately 118 bucks found in seven full days of scouting, I wrote down bucks/doe numbers daily and kept a tally. I was not able to turn them back up after the hoards showed up Friday morning and did their "scouting" Friday afternoon. I ate my tag and was totally ok with it, I was able to get some great pics and watch deer and sometimes elk daily ( hint they are not on the road ) and pronghorn, moose sometimes. I found Bighorns one day which was a treat.

Sparks Shooter

Lots of people getting smarter about what they blabber about on the internet.

Social media hype has probably done more to harm herds and hunting opportunity than weather, predators, poachers, EHD, CWD, BFD, or any other ‘natural’ enemy.

I guarantee that big stuff is still getting shot.—SS

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Discounted Hunting Adventures

Specializing in private Do-It-Yourself and guided hunts for deer, elk, antelope and moose.

Top Bottom