No bull for lazy hunter

UpToNoGood

I have to say I was extremely happy when I found out I had drawn a bull tag on my first try ever and in Unit 17. However, I knew nothing about the unit and joined this forum and asked for advice. I was lucky enough to get several people to tell me exactly what to do if I wanted to be successfully. They said scout, scout and more scouting as well as glassing high and low. Well I started scouting in May and some in June but the heavy rains wreaked havoc at my house and I had to take measures to divert all this water before it destroyed my road and house. Well in the process of stopping all this water I ripped my left distal bicep tendon clean off the bone and had to have surgery to have it reattached. I did it moving rail ties by myself. That same day I destroyed my arm my wife helped me move the final 15 ties as I only had 1 arm to work with, but I had to get it done. So now with my arm jacked up pretty bad and the rain continuing to fall I felt like things were just not on my side.

So then months of rest and recovery brings me to opening day and my arm is doing good at about 50% before the damage. I start this hunt with no sign of elk during my pre scouting and still very limited knowledge of this unit but I have to try. So my team is my wife and I and she can’t keep up with me in the woods so I am always waiting for her. Our plan was to camp at the house since we live close enough to drive to the places we wanted to hunt each morning. The first 2 days were about the same as we got to the woods before sunrise and mapped out our day as to the areas to hunt and glass from. On the second day my helpful wife did spot what she though was a deer and as I back tracked to where she saw it all I saw was an elks butt running away. She says she thought it was a buck. So I tred to work toward the direction I expect it to go and the bull must have doubled back past my wife because she sends me a text telling me the bull just ran 30 feet in front of her. I try to pick up the direction the bull went but it was gone in the wind. So now both the first 2 days end with us arriving at our house before sunset. I know the final hour before the sun sets can be a killer, but this is how we planned it.

On the 3 day of the hunt I had a last min scheduled appointment at the hospital at noon so that really messed that day up but I figured I could at least try and get some hunting before the sun set. Going back the Saturday before the hunt I spent the morning in the woods about ½ a mile from the house trying to fill either cougar or bear tag. I have had a lot of bears spotted at a spring near my house and had been watching them hit the spring almost daily until the last bear sighting on Sep 6th. Anyways 40 mins in to the call with my foxpro I hear crashing through the woods over my right shoulder. Probably the worst angle for a right handed shooter. I seriously doubt this is a cougar coming in this hard so I turn to the right as much as I can and prepare for a bear. Sure as sh!t a small bull elk comes crashing in to see what is going on. I can’t believe my eyes and I hardly ever see elk around my house and had no intentions of hunting here for elk. So back to my bull hunt and Monday morning before my Dr visit I decide to go check the game camera on the spring where I have seen all the bears. Not only did a bear return to the spring the Thursday before the hunt but that small 4x4 bull elk hit that spring on the first day of the hunt. So that got me thinking but I still didn’t feel like my area held the elk to warrant the try. So my Daughter came with me to my Dr apt so that she could tag along with me so that we could hunt some of the forest on the way home. We spent about 4 hours working up two different canyons only seeing 2 cow elk. Again we were back home before the sun set. I know precious hunting time wasted again.

With only 2 days of the hunt left the wife and I decide to try a different canyon and again we get there before the sun rose. We would hunt and glass up until noon before the winds picked up to 50-60 mph and just made it hard to hunt so we went home early, but I wasn’t done for the day because I now had a backup plan on a 4x4 bull and possibly a bear that was in my backyard. So I hiked up in the canyon and started my foxpro hoping to call in the young bull or the bear. Nothing showed up and I packed up and called the 4th day a bust. Day 5 resulted in the same start, ready before the sun, but we hunted until the sun set and saw 1 cow elk.

Over the 5 days I saw deer every day and bucks 4 of the 5 days and I could have taken a buck on all 4 of the days if buck was on the menu. We also saw 2 Javelina’s. So I surmise that my hunting skills are not that bad since I could have put the crosshairs on the bucks in the woods I was in, but that I was just in the wrong woods for the bulls. I just didn’t put in the time to find were the bulls were hanging out prior to my hunt.

Seems like you're well aware of the limitations and you also know what you can do better if you do it (or other unit) again. At least you got out there and tried. Kudos to the wifey for helping you out.

Seems like you're well aware of the limitations and you also know what you can do better if you do it (or other unit) again. At least you got out there and tried. Kudos to the wifey for helping you out.
I figured that not all stories were successful and sometimes people have a hard to telling the story were they struck out, but I without a doubt learned new parts of the forest and meet an awesome rancher. And yes I did know of my short comings before I started, but still gave it a good go. The wife was a huge help in many ways.

Sometimes it just doesn’t work out! But like my grandpa always said, you can’t kill elk sitting on the couch. You gave it a good effort in spite of some bumps in the road. You had more of a chance than if you hadn’t even tried. You can look at those tough years as great opportunities to learn and become a better hunter than you were the year before.

I agree with you guys that yes I did try, but I know they was much more I could have done and beat myself up for not giving it my all.

Everyone on this site has been more than helpful.

Tough tag to get drawn also! I feel you though man ,had a spine surgery and a shoulder surgery basically back to back and have been side lined all fall. I’ve had a few friends that drew it this year archery and muzzy and have not seen one big bull killed there this year. Anyone here seen any big ones taken out ?

10230061.JPG

Here is the small bull that I had hanging around the house. He is also the bull that messed up my predator hunt.

You gave it your best! That’s all that matters! Kudos to you and your wife!

Hola Geno, get better!!!!!
We’ll on the way my friend! Thank you! Trying to make this as speedy as possible! Starting November super slammed my friend! Drew my January mule deer tag in January too??
Hope all is well I’ll send you my new number in the pm ????

Good on you for trying with a disability I tore my ac joint in my shoulder late June first big injury for myself. It was and still is a mofo getting back to full strength.

It sounds like a good learning experience and you got to see wildlife, learned new country. I still learn something new everytime out.

It sounds like a good learning experience and you got to see wildlife, learned new country. I still learn something new everytime out.
I am always willing to learn something new and each time I walk in to the woods from my house I find something new. When my wife walks with me she questions me every time as why I enter the woods one way and return a different way. I explain to her that I double my chances of seeing something new returning a different path.

Here is a cave that I spotted from a different ridge about 3/4 of a mile way over a year ago and could not find it back then. Well just a few weeks ago I took my wife in the woods and we found it about a mile from my house and took use about 1 hour to reach. Very well hidden cave that could have housed 1 family of Indians back in the day. We hiked 3.2 miles that trip and found all kinds of cool stuff.

Cave.jpeg

Can't call elk with a fox pro in NM. Might wanna edit this one, bud.

Unlawful to.. "Use electronically or mechanically recorded calling devices, except as permitted for protected furbearers, cougars, bears, javelina and nongame species."

Unlawful to.. "Use electronically or mechanically recorded calling devices, except as permitted for protected furbearers, cougars, bears, javelina and nongame species."
You are correct. I though I had read that you could and had no bad intentions otherwise I would have not posted so. Again always learning.

You can

you can use them for bear though right? I was thinking the same thing but he said he was trying to call in a bear ?

You can

you can use them for bear though right? I was thinking the same thing but he said he was trying to call in a bear ?
"So I hiked up in the canyon and started my foxpro hoping to call in the young bull or the bear"

Lol nah that's pretty blatant that the intention was calling an elk.

Obviously anything can come in, but with an elk tag in your pocket running elk sounds. That's not going to fly with a warden.

BUGLEnmIN,

Scuba_Steve is correct that electronic calls can only be used on furbearer and not Elk and like I said I am learning.

However for the sake of this thread we will confirm that the call I was using was a plastic mouth piece that I took a sharpie and wrote "Foxpro" on the side.

BUGLEnmIN,

Scuba_Steve is correct that electronic calls can only be used on furbearer and not Elk and like I said I am learning.

However for the sake of this thread we will confirm that the call I was using was a plastic mouth piece that I took a sharpie and wrote "Foxpro" on the side.
Imo it's all good if you don't kill them off the call. Can't pick and choose what comes into your caller.
Live and learn. Better to find out this way than from a fish cop.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom