No Clue

cannonball

Very Active Member
The Utah DWR cannot understand why most of the deer are not staying high in the mountains, but are starting to come down early. At least this is on Monroe Mountain as per one of their representative.

Now Lets cover a few details!!

Constant ATV's
Elk hunters
Archery hunters for over a month
The biggie - Mountain Lions - talked to a fellow who hunted Hunters Flat and Davis Hollow and he could only find a few deer. While they were sitting there three cougars came out and passed thru a flat. Probably the mother and younger lions. There are quite a few lions on that mountain. (I understand that on the Pauns they are monitoring a female and also a male mountain lion. The male is killing more than one deer a week and the female is killing two deer a week.) In my estimation our game management team is not doing their job and we should hold their feet to the fire.

I think you pretty much covered it Cannonball, ATV's, cats a lot of archery pressure. I spent last week there and there were basically zero deer higher than Hunters Flat and I did cross paths with a big Tom near Big Lake. Didn't expect that. What's your thoughts as far as the dry conditions and the deer being lower? The grass was pretty much non existent which would explain why there's very few elk above Hunters Flat and I know the deer like the lower brushy feed areas but they were a little scarce even at that.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-16 AT 04:15AM (MST)[p]I was down there last week and saw a doe with two fawns. There is going to be tons of deer down there. We need to let out more tags. There are going to be packs of them.

So what would you have them do differently? DWR does not manage ATV use so not much they can do there. The reason they have the long archery hunt is because hunters asked for it and most likely complained about the management. Same goes for the elk hunters. So I guess you are left with they should kill more mountain lions. Do you think they should have DWR employees out hunting lions? How many have you killed out there? These are all legitimate questions. Holding their feet to the fire is fine but you better have a preferred course of action for them to follow.

First step you would have to educate the DWR that mountain lions eat meat and not grass. Second step would be be to have a DWR representative on the mountain doing a COMPLETE study of how many lions are in the mountain and not in the coffee shop. Sure would hate to see them brown bag a lunch though.

A little sarcastic indeed and I do know they are fight both sides of this issue. One warden just said wait until the wolves are in Utah. Then you will have something to grumble about. Hey! I am old fart and have seen it all. Don't tell me that the deer herds are not a fraction what what they have been. That whole mountain top should be full of deer, but is not and when you chase deer and elk as long as you do. If course they are not going to be up there, especially when you put more bear and cougars in the mix. We need a deer plan that includes lion and bear numbers control tied to the number of deer like they have for BH sheep. Some tried to get that included when they wrote the(Mule Deer) plan, but it was voted out of the plan by our management leaders. Bet you didn't know that!!

I have said this for years, they need to let you shoot a lion with your deer or elk tag. If people, and there has been numerous including myself are seeing multiple lions during the deer or elk hunt then that is way too many. Lions our getting out control.

I have spent a huge amount of time just to the south on Dutton this year. If anyone were to tell me there is no predator problem there i would call them a liar. Lions and coyotes abound. I started spotting in June this year 7 trips and have SEEN 5 lions. Cant count the Coyotes (on killed 1) probably 15-20 SEEN. This was over a few months from table Mountain to Showalter so I'd say the whole unit. It was shocking how few Does only had 1 or NO fawns the last trip I went down. About 9 days ago, In June most Does had 2 fawns. The Deer are constantly moving, and this is not in areas with atv or a lot of pressure from hunters. I see more coyotes than people usually. I'v had several cats bobcats and lions on my trail cams 2 bear, and coyotes along with the Elk and Deer. Funny how there were supposed to be a big increase in deer numbers I certainly havent seen it. There are yearling bucks for the road hunters, but iv only saw a handful of older animals (Deer)

Ask the hounds men. ut dont have very many cats! Lmfao
hornkiller.jpg

When I saw this thread title---

I thought for sure it was Yet another Help Me--Help Me thread from Blow-hio DonV...I got No Clue....figured he wanted some ones Mom to come and sight in his rifle as it still hurts him to shoot it---

Robb

>Ask the hounds men. ut dont
>have very many cats! Lmfao
>
>
hornkiller.jpg

I used to have a neighbor that was a houndsman and I asked him one time, He said there are a helluva lot more lions than than anyone thinks!

Every time some complains about mountain lions, I ask. How many have you killed to help? Monroe and Dutton are both combination hunts. So if there are so many lions, watch the quota and next spring go kill one.

I see people that want houndsman to take them for free just because. Never mind how much work the houndsman pits into their hobby.

Go get a pack and have at it. It's not that hard. Really. Broken trucks. ALL THE TIME. Vet bills. Pissed off wives. And people that think they can be taken for free. Or you guys should kill more. Or I saw a lion 6 months ago on secret ridge. Give people your number and no one calls with a sighting or fresh kill. But everyone sure wines a lot about them.

FYI Everson I know exactly what goes into owning a pack of bounds. I ran bounds in the 80s,90s I had between 3 and 15 black and tans,redbones,walkers,and blueticks at any given time.i delt with busted trucks,snow machines,injured dogs and horses. I haven't seen where anyone is blaming the problem on houndsmen,I believe it is a management issue. The bounty on coyote helps some areas more than others. The Monroe and dutton are good examples. It's my opinion trapping should be used to target lions, bobcat and coyote on both these area. The quota should be upped. ThAt should be good for the houndsmen. And to address your gripe about people that want to go for free... let them want and find another client. I am very disappointed with the Dwrs decision to up the amount of tags for Deer. I am not a range biologist, but it was sad to see some areas that looked like prime habitat, brouse,water,cover.... And no deer. In June it looked a lot better with young bucks, does with fawns. Now there are still a few young bucks does bearded up with few fawns and very few old animals.

One very important but not understood fact is that that the DWR has a job to do, they "manage" wildlife.
All these RAC meetings and public input are not really taken seriously by our leaders, they just want you to think they do, they patronize us to think our voices matter. They manage for a balance between hunter opportunity and natural caused mortality (predators, cars, poaching, weather, etc). The cattlemen and domestic sheep associations have way more power than we even realize. The division doesn't care if we all kill 4 point bucks,6 point bulls or not, they manage the herds for numbers of animals to cohabitate in the best balance possible with cattle and sheep and reap the monetary profits of us all.
Just look at how our once healthy elk herds on the Wasatch were, now after several years of excessive cow tags and lowering the bull age class, we're back to 300-330" bulls and very low spike bulls for hunter opportunity.
Just my .2 cents ?

"The cattlemen and domestic sheep associations have way more power than we even realize."

I've been saying this for years. They're the one and only reason for the cow elk slaughter on most of the units in Utah.

>"The cattlemen and domestic sheep associations
>have way more power than
>we even realize."
>
>I've been saying this for years.
>They're the one and only
>reason for the cow elk
>slaughter on most of the
>units in Utah.

Bingo!!

I like Idaho's approach with wolves anyway, they take a count of wolves just like Deer or Elk and see how many they have. When they determine how many wolves they have and how many they can carry on a range they issue those many permits.
They approach it with a science in that they do math how many deer or elk will the pack kill so they reduce the harvest or permits to allow this much and no more.
They can control the numbers I little better this way and the predators don't get to far out of control.
I still like the way we did it in the 60's if you saw a lion or coyote you shot it and the deer numbers were great and there were still predators out there.
just saying sometimes the old ways are the best ways

Cannonball, That seems like an awful lot of gyrations to go through just to keep the deer up where your buddy is used to hunting them. How come he can't just find them and hunt them where they are?

>Cannonball, That seems like an awful
>lot of gyrations to go
>through just to keep the
>deer up where your buddy
>is used to hunting them.
>How come he can't just
>find them and hunt them
>where they are?

Boy are you missing the point! I guess if you don't understand it, there is no sense in me trying to explain it.

Lee,
Yeah why try and make it better...especially when you have 3 antlerless tags in your pocket...right? Take take take until its gone.

I have wondered about the mountain lion issue for quite some time. Several years ago I reviewed the then current state management plan and it estimated that we had somewhere around 3,000 lions in the state. See page 13-14 (https://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/cmgtplan.pdf) I also read a bunch of the supporting literature. Assuming the literature is correct and a mature mountain lion will kill on average one mule deer per week, that means that we may be losing well over 100,000 deer per year to lions. That is mind blowing when you consider that hunters are only harvesting 30,000 to 35,000 deer per year and our deer herds at that time totaled around 350,000.

So what do we do about this problem? Have any of you attended a RAC of WB meeting when the lion hunters come out? They are a passionate group and they certainly should have a voice on the issue. When you talk to lion hunters, they claim that the lions are already over hunted and it is difficult to find a mature lion. What is the truth when it comes to lion numbers in the state of Utah adn their impact on our deer herds?

Where do ranchers fall on this issue? My guess is they would also like to see a reduction in the number of cougars. This may be an issue where we can work together with ranchers.

Lots of unanswered questions.

-Hawkeye-

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-16 AT 08:45AM (MST)[p]>Lee,
>Yeah why try and make it
>better...especially when you have 3
>antlerless tags in your pocket...right?
> Take take take until
>its gone.

WRONG! On all counts! Maybe that's the way it works in your world, but certainly not in mine. You and Cannonball are the ones trying to throw people under the bus with your false assumptions, half-truths, meager information, insinuations, and insults in order to get your way, not me.

Been to the lion RAC, hard to get in door through drum circles, and tie die. Pretty wild night. I have a hard time bekieving only 3000 though.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

>I have wondered about the mountain
>lion issue for quite some
>time. Several years ago I
>reviewed the then current state
>management plan and it estimated
>that we had somewhere around
>3,000 lions in the state.
> See page 13-14 (https://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/cmgtplan.pdf)
> I also read a
>bunch of the supporting literature.
> Assuming the literature is
>correct and a mature mountain
>lion will kill on average
>one mule deer per week,
>that means that we may
>be losing well over 100,000
>deer per year to lions.
> That is mind blowing
>when you consider that hunters
>are only harvesting 30,000 to
>35,000 deer per year and
>our deer herds at that
>time totaled around 350,000.
>
>So what do we do about
>this problem? Have any
>of you attended a RAC
>of WB meeting when the
>lion hunters come out?
>They are a passionate group
>and they certainly should have
>a voice on the issue.
> When you talk to
>lion hunters, they claim that
>the lions are already over
>hunted and it is difficult
>to find a mature lion.
> What is the truth
>when it comes to lion
>numbers in the state of
>Utah adn their impact on
>our deer herds?
>
>Where do ranchers fall on this
>issue? My guess is
>they would also like to
>see a reduction in the
>number of cougars. This
>may be an issue where
>we can work together with
>ranchers.
>
>Lots of unanswered questions.
>
>-Hawkeye-

Jason, I appreciate your candor and willingness to look at this issue without giving the silent treatment or false accusations we've seen here.

To begin with, it's a general view of most wildlife biologists that cougars do, indeed, take an animal each week and that animal is usually a deer. But here in Utah, that animal isn't always a deer. I have a neighborhood friend who loses as many as 100 lambs per year to the cougars on Cedar Mountain. And, of course, there's the pets that disappear. Cattle, elk, pronghorn and horses, (usually the young) are also preyed upon occasionally, but to what extent, I couldn't say. I also know they kill coyotes and other cougars, but whether or not they eat them I don't know.

But let's say, for the sake of this discussion, that deer are their only prey. With 3,000 cougars, that appears to be 156,000 dead deer per year out of 350,000 which does sound mind blowing. However, it's not quite so scary when you do the actual biology and numbers.

The statewide population number is now 384,850 deer at the end of 2015, after the hunts. With the current buck to doe ratio at 23/100, that's 55,137 bucks and 239,713 does. Per many studies, 90% or more of those does were pregnant. That's 215,742+ pregnant does. And with a twin/single fawn delivery ratio of 50/50, that's 359,570 fawns born in the spring of 2016 which nearly doubles the population. Now we're talking 156,000 dead deer per year out of 744,420 which doesn't sound quite as bad.

Of course, with all the other biological dynamics, things are never quite so simple.(cougars breed all year, cougars have 1-3 kittens per litter, cougars kill other cougars over territory, cougars are hunted, there's a 3 to 5 year lag time between cougars' natural litter size response to deer population changes, cougars are so solitary, secretive and nocturnal they can't be counted with close accuracy, deer migrate, deer are also hunted, deer have other predators after them, etc., etc. etc.)

Add to all of that, there are lots of people who think we aren't killing enough cougars (per this thread) AND there are lots of people who think we're killing too many (per the Wildlife Board meeting a couple of months ago) AND there's a 10 year cougar plan now in place that addresses all these issues. No matter which direction a person wants to go on this they're gonna have strong opposition.

BOTTOM LINE? For me, at least, it's the fact that the deer herds are growing in 25 of the 30 general (1 is stable, 4 are decreasing) and if this continues at the rate it's growing we will be at our statewide objective (440,100) at the end of 2017. It's unfortunate for the OP that Monroe happens to be one of only two general units that is dropping in both population and buck to doe ratios (the other is Nebo), but the rest are doing better and don't need to be managed as if they were the Monroe. IMHO, of course!

Lee

>>Cannonball, That seems like an awful
>>lot of gyrations to go
>>through just to keep the
>>deer up where your buddy
>>is used to hunting them.
>>How come he can't just
>>find them and hunt them
>>where they are?
>
>Boy are you missing the point!
> I guess if you
>don't understand it, there is
>no sense in me trying
>to explain it.

Oh, I got your point alright! It turns out to be what it's always been. You're after trophy bucks and you don't like the competition from ether other hunters or other animals. With your statement about the deer moving down, I was hoping you actually cared about the hunting experience of others and I responded with a suggestion that would solve the "problem" but I guess I was wrong. My bad!

FWIW, the deer are apparently moving off the top of the Panguitch Lake unit also and my usual high mountain setup isn't working anymore, so I made one lower down for a friend and his 85 year old dad and it's being hit by the deer just fine.

The thing that bothers me is that the Utah DWR hires the hounders as employees to assess the cougar populations. You may think they can be objective, I frankly do not. There are so many cougars on Monroe it is ridiculous. Scientifically speaking? Not really, but there are so many people seeing them, they can't all be lying.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-16 AT 00:00AM (MST)[p]>The thing that bothers me is
>that the Utah DWR hires
>the hounders as employees to
>assess the cougar populations.
>You may think they can
>be objective, I frankly do
>not. There are so
>many cougars on Monroe it
>is ridiculous. Scientifically speaking?
> Not really, but there
>are so many people seeing
>them, they can't all be
>lying.

I don't think anyone is lying about seeing them but people seeing them more often doesn't necessarily translate into more cougars on the mountain. They may simply have had to hunt longer and harder to find prey or they wouldn't be exposing themselves and their cubs to increased danger. The sightings are out of character for a cougar. They are as much "victims" of missing deer numbers as we hunters feel we are, but they're likely not the cause.

And none of the other things you mentioned are the likely causes of the deer moving either 'cause they haven't changed that much, if any, from year to year. But what does change is the weather and the anthocyanins (colors) and sugars in the leaves.

www.harlandaily.com/features/local-features/13880/fall-colors-and-the-weather.

It may sound crazy, but I think the deer could have moved just because the leaves taste better lower down on the mountain where they haven't yet turned brown or fallen off. But regardless of the reason(s), the deer are still wild and will do whatever they wish for whatever reason they decide, and I, for one, will continue to try to hunt them on their terms, not mine.

I Think the Lions Moved them Early this year!:D

JUDAS!

There are Lions!

Not Near as many as what We once Had!

They do Eat Deer!

These Guys that See Several of them each time they go out Huntin are the Same Guys that see several 30" Bucks each time they go out but just can't get a Shot at any of them!

I Never Hear people Blaming the Real Problems with the TARDville Deer Herd!

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

Bad hunters always have an excuse or a need to blame something on their lack of success. Lions do not push deer lower, that is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on here, no joke! They are easy to track in fresh snow and usually don't travel too far in a night. I recommend you head out one winter morning after a light snow and track one of the "thousands" of lions that you think infest the Utah mountains and fill a harvest objective tag. Should be a piece of cake, hell you'll probably see 5 on your way there so be ready hahaha. You internet lion experts kill me

Do you work for the DWR or are you a hounder; or both?

A few years ago, at Lake Tahoe, I talked to a California game biologist. They could not figure out why their big horn sheep were not making it and found out the lion were decimating the sheep when they would come down off the tops of the mountains. Their study showed because of that predator they would stay high and starve to death.

Every time a mountain lion gets near a road, a hounder is after it. They usually let it go on a pursuit and release or when it is a female. A lot of big bucks are big bucks because they stay away from the roads. If you had been tree'd several times or just chased as a small lion. Wouldn't you stay away from the roads also?

There is a reason we have one third the deer than we used in Utah. We can't, nor will we be able to poison lions and coyotes. I would like to see any hunter to wants one to be able to purchase for the taking of one mountain lion during the deer hunt.

Well we're not talking about California or sheep in this thread so back to your complaints. You think the DWR should just tell all the ATV's to stay off public land? As far as elk hunters, I would think a mule deer hunter would like to see a lot more elk hunting on the unit since elk are no good for deer. Archery hunters don't seem to put enough pressure on that unit to push the deer down. You are right that lions do eat deer but, If they were the reason the deer were low then don't ya think the lions would follow the deer low too and then they'd chaise em up high again? lol
Sorry, I just get tired of hearing how Utah is over run with lions and that's why we have bad deer hunting here. Every year thousands and thousands of hunters go to the mountains where lions live and a very small handful of em see's a lion and then all of a sudden we must be infested with the things!
There is a reason we have one third the deer we used to and that is mainly too many hunters for the amount of land we have to hunt. Our winter ranges are getting more and more developments on them, our elk are over objective by 10,000, coyotes are a major factor as well.
Sure lions kill deer but I promise you, there are not near as many big cats in Utah as there are in Wyoming and Colorado and there deer hunting is day and night better than ours.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-16 AT 10:02PM (MST)[p]Mgd-

I don't claim to know very much about mountain lions other than what I read in the management plan. The plan estimates that we have approximately 3,000 lions in Utah? Do you agree with that estimate? If not, please explain why. Do you agree with the literature that says mule deer are the preferred food source for lions and a mature lion will kill a deer a week on average? If not, please explain why. Assuming the experts are even partially correct, that means that mountain lions are killing an awful lot of mule deer each year (likely 100,000+ per year). Do you agree with this math? If not, please explain why. Help the rest of us understand where the biologists went wrong. Thanks.

-Hawkeye-

I find it amusing the DWR still uses that 3K numder...

If I remember correctly,
Thats the same number they used back in the 90's,
And there were DEFINITELY a hellava lot more cats back then!

Hawkeye,
I could go on, and on with the lion issue.
I spent 15 years chasing cats a 100 days a year.

I will say, lions have always taken a 'bad'rap in Utah.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Goofy-

As I said in my prior post, I don't know anything about mountain lion populations so please don't take this as argumentative. I am simply trying to better understand the issue.

If you disagree with the DWR's population estimate, what do you think a realistic population number is? How about the studies that says a mature lion will kill on average one deer a week? Do you agree with those statistics? Let's assume that we only have 2,500 or even 2,000 mountain lions in this state. If the literature is correct then they are still likely killing at least 100,000 deer a year. If those numbers are even close to accurate then lions are killy three times a many deer as hunters.

I would be interested in hearing you thoughts and observations on this issue. Many sportsmen know nothing or very little about lions, and those who do ahve some knowledge and experience, often seen to have a bias when it comes to discussing populations and management. It is good to have a discussion without the emotion.

-Hawkeye-

Hawkeye, The internet lion expert comment was not directed towards you. Just to the guys spewing plain ignorance about something they know nothing about.
I will try my hardest to leave emotion out and have a serious conversation to try and help others understand both sides to the lion controversy. First off I pursue lions with hounds 15 days a month year round every year. I take a week off here and there but not too often. I also love to hunt mule deer and do hunt both species in several different states. However, I am far from an expert on either animal.
I have no clue on how many lions are currently in Utah? The division estimates between 2500 and 4500 I believe, which is a huge variation imo. How'd they come up with that number? I have no idea. I do know houndsmen take a survey every year that asks how many days in the field and how many lions caught. Many houndsmen feel the need to beat on their chest and exaggerate that number greatly and a lot catch the same 3 cats all winter over and over and report 25 lions caught. I don't know an accurate way to count lions in a state and I don't believe the division does either.
As far as how many deer a lion eat and what impact they have on deer population, that is subjective and hard to know for sure. They do other animals as well such as, skunks, coyotes, elk, beaver, rabbits, birds, Sheep, domestic animals etc. so to say one deer a week is not 100% accurate imo. Study's do show however, that predators do not have near the impact on mule deer as winter kill does. You have to remember also that lions have a huge home range that varies depending on available food. They have to constantly be on the move marking their territory to keep other lions out. So, with that being said they move from heard to heard and kill a deer and move on. In other words they will generally not just sit on a herd of deer and decimate them. Granted a female with very young kittens will kill a couple more then others before moving usually.
Now for the part that does bring out the emotion. Lion hunting for many is a tradition that is just as important to us as deer hunting is to many of you. However, we are constantly under attack for our way of life and keeping our sport legal. On top of that we have almost every hunter wanting to wipe the lions out to improve their passion. Honestly, we view a lot of you guys just as much a threat as the anti's because of the extreme negative impact many sportsman would like to impose on our passion. We do understand there has to be a balance. Utah is very frustrating because of the low numbers of deer and lions we have. Then plant sheep on a unit and the lions will be wiped off the mountain. It is proven they do not want a "lion Management" plan on those units. For us that is extremely frustrating because we feel the state is catering to the big money sheep. Sure, I put in for desert sheep every year, will I draw it in my lifetime? maybe? But do I think it is fair to wipe lions off a mountain range that many of us can enjoy hunting many days of multiple years just so a select few can hunt sheep a couple days a year? Hell no I don't, but I know Utah main concern is the almighty dollar even above proper game management and fairness to the regular joe public hunter, I do believe SFW taught them that but that is another subject.
My end point is that we as lion hunters want a quality hunting opportunity just as much as biggame hunters want a quality hunt. There has to be a middle ground and I know neither side will be happy with any outcome unless it is a 100% in their favor. Study's do show deer numbers do control the lion population far more then lions control the deer population. So, it should be extremely important for houndsmen to want a healthy deer heard, we just want a quality lion population for our tradition as well.
Sorry for the long post but there is a lot more to it then many know.

Didn't read this whole thead because I get sick of hearing southern boys talk about napkin biology. My guess is if your seeing lions you have a good deer population because lions don't eat grass!

SWEET GEEZUS!

Day 3 in to the General Pumpkin Patch Hunt & they're advertising on Local Radio that it's a Success!

And as Usual:

Bucky Pipes up about the Millions of Lions He Thinks We have here in TARDville!

Yes We Have Lions!

Yes they Eat Deer!

We have way Fewer Lions than We've ever had Bucky!

Where TF are all the Big Bucks & the Quality Deer Herds?

You wanna Bitcchh about something You can Start with TARDS,DWR,PISS POOR MANAGEMENT,GREED,ILLEGAL BASTARDS ON ATV'S & COYOTES!

You Boys that Think there Are Millions of Lions Everywhere need to get out of the F'N House just a little more often!

way with Words[/font]

I think you missed one Bessy . The weather, With the little summer rains we had this year. the feed up high was gone much faster then last year. Especially here in central utah ! It has been pretty warm to !

mgd-

Thanks for responding. Your comments and insights are interesting and helpful to better understanding the issues. The current Cougar Management Plan for the State of Utah actually includes two population estimates. The first estimate of 2,528-3,936 is based upon ?summing unit population estimates.? The second estimate of 2,927 is generated based upon mean cougar densities and total occupied cougar habitat within the state. Although the DWR admits that they do not know exactly how many cougars are in the state, their best estimate appears to be somewhere around 3,000.

You are also correct in noting that cougars eat other animals besides mule deer. However, multiple studies cited in the Plan state that ?Mule deer are known to be the preferred prey species of cougars.? So, once again, mule deer are the preferred food source and a mature lion will take on average one deer per week, then mountain lions certainly are a major problem for our deer herds. No doubt there are many variables in this equation. However, the expert research appears to suggest that we are likely losing tens of thousands of deer each year to cougars alone. This may be less of a concern when we are experiencing favorable winters and our herds are trending upwards. But it still seems like an important factor that we have to recognize.

I have never been on a lion hunt but I would sure like to someday. I know that there are guys like you who put a lot of time and effort into that sport. I understand where you are coming from when you say that you view most of us deer hunters as just ?as much a threat as the anti?s because of the extreme negative impact many sportsmen would like to impose on your passion.? I certainly don't want to eliminate all mountain lions. However, given the significant impact that lions have on mule deer, it sounds like we need to manage them very carefully. Hopefully, current Cougar Management Plan finds that ?middle ground? that you referred to. One other thought that came to mind, over the last 10 years the State of Utah has given out approximately 1,00 to 1,000 lion permits each year (that includes LE permits and harvest objective permits). Compare with the tens of thousands of sportsmen that buy a tag and hunt mule deer every year. Perhaps the DWR and some sportsmen see the importance of protecting the state?s ?cash crop,? which is mule deer.

I have the link to the Cougar Management Plan in case anyone else wants an interesting read: https://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/cmgtplan.pdf

-Hawkeye-

Over the past decade, lion hunting in Utah has became much more difficult.

Over the counter permits, HO/Spilt hunting have REDUCED
the lion population.

And yes lions eat deer,
But I witnessed lions that primary source of food was elk.
MANY times I might add.

I've even seem were lions were pretty much living on turkeys!

In desert sheep country, Lions live on sheep!

IMO, Taking the estimated lion population,
and doing 'deer math' is bogus.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Hawkeye, most of us do understand that there are far more sportsmen that hunt mule deer than lions and far more revenue coming in from our deer tags. I honesty do understand the concerns you have with the lion impact on our already struggling deer herds. To be honest with you, one of the reasons I got into hounds to begin with years ago was to do my part in wiping the Cougars out just to help the deer. However, my point of view quickly changed when I started really hunting hard with the hounds. My eyes were opened to how few lions were actually in the areas I had always hunted deer. I heard so many stories of the many lion sightings and guys being stocked by em, you know, all the ones you hear every year by almost always the same type of hunter. "The one week a year Utah deer hunter" type. I honestly believed them too until I started spending 200 days a year in the field chasing, catching and learning about the big cats. Anyways, I know houndsmen and deer hunters will never see eye to eye on what a "responsible" cougar population should be in Utah. With that being said, you are more than welcome to come tag along on as many lion hunts as you'd like with me and my mutts in hopes that you might see it from a different point of view and you might get a better understanding how few and far between Utah lions can be in a lot of our hunting units.

I only know one thing!

Until every Lion is Dead in TARDville these TARDS will never be Happy!

It's OK for TARDS to over Hunt Deer!

So?

I got a Question for Bucky & all the other Lion Experts on here:

There's fewer Lions in the Book Cliffs than there's ever been!

(Yes,There's still Lions out there!)

The Book Cliffs Deer Herd SUCKS for the Most part!

(Yes,there will be a few Lucky Hunters take Decent Bucks,Not saying there isn't any Big Bucks left out there!)

Who You Blaming now for a Suffering Herd?

No!

I'm not a Biologist!

And further more I don't Think you need to be one to Figure out WTF is going on!

way with Words[/font]

Mgd, thanks for posting and engaging in a civil discussion on a difficult issue. I may take you up on your offer some time to tag along as you chase some lions.

Bessy, good grief. Save your hyperbole for another thread so we can have a real discussion about this important issue. Not every poster on this forum is a "tard" looking to eliminate every lion in the state.

-Hawkeye-

So honest question, and i think it might exolain some confusion. It seems that we see more cats. Have they lost sone fear because of all the chasing and letting go? Is it younger, dumber(like spike deer) cats that are too "public"? It just seems like we are seeing more cats which may or may not mean there are more?

Well I didn't know we're seeing so many lions nowadays? I do think that the majority of the time that cats are seen is usually 1 of 2 reasons. First being young cats just off their mothers trying to find there own home range. An established tom will not let another tom in his territory without a little persuasion to leave. So, a young lion will sometimes move too low seeking a safe place to live which is obviously not safe at all for the lion. The other scenario I believe most lions that are being seen is when they are sitting on a kill. Sometimes I think they get a big full belly and get a little lazy and complasive and let their guard down. You have to realize that lions do live in the mountains and we have hundreds of thousands of people recreating where they live so it should be no surprise that every now and then a person is lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.
As far as loosing their fear of people, I damn sure haven't witnessed this personally! In fact I believe that is why the lion hound pursuit season is so important, to keep the fear of man in them.

I have no evidence, just seems like seeing cats is more common. With zero knowledge, seemed like younger dumber cats were to blame for that.

Is 3000 lions a lot? It seems like it to me but I know nothing about this issue. I'm just curious

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom