No global warming last 10 years

202typical

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-08 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-08 AT 01:45 PM (MST)

There is no global warming in the most recent 10 years of data.
So far, 2008 has had the coldest temperature of the 21st century. This has not had an impact on alarmist viewpoints, who continue to use certain pieces of information to sustain their biased position. It is called Liberal Fascism!
48af172f7bcde84a.jpg

H1 Of 2008 Coldest Half Year Since H1 Of 1997

UAH June 2008 Anomaly Still Negative
8 Jul 2008

QUOTE: No, it is not a typo. I really mean that 2008 has been cooler than the "cold" La Nina years and half-years during the 1998-2001 La Nina episode, too. And that's true despite the fact that the 1998-2001 La Nina episode was both longer and stronger than the recent one. To summarize, there's no global warming in the recent 10 years of data.

QUOTE: The Northern polar region cooled from 1.03 to 0.49 �C between May and June 2008.

QUOTE: a Dutch team just published a study that shows that the Greenland melting cycle exhibits no trend in the last 17 years.

According to UAH MSU, the global temperature anomaly in June 2008 was -0.11 �C, up from -0.18 �C in May 2008.

A similar warming from -0.083 �C in May 2008 to +0.035 �C in June 2008 has been reported by RSS MSU, too.

But let us focus on UAH MSU. Anomaly-wise, June 2008 was the third coldest month of the 21st century so far, after May 2008 and July 2004 (that had -0.12 �C, almost the same temperature).

If I were as manipulative (or stupid) as Al Gore, I would also build on the fact that three of the four months in this century with a negative temperature anomaly occurred in 2008 (July 2004; January, May, June 2008).

But this statement is not so surprising for sensible people because the temperature is a continuous (although not smooth) function of time and nearby months should be expected to have similar temperatures. Once we know that May 2008 was the coldest month, it shouldn't shock you that you will find nearby months in the hit parade, too.

Polar regions

In terms of the anomaly, the land in the Southern polar lands - Antarctica - cooled by a hefty 2.35 �C from the previous month - from +0.82 to -1.53 �C. Such things happen near the poles where all changes are amplified and where the area is not too large to guarantee a constancy of temperature.

The Northern polar region cooled from 1.03 to 0.49 �C between May and June 2008.

The total sea ice anomaly is currently near zero, as a positive anomaly of the Southern Hemisphere cancels the negative anomaly of the Northern Hemisphere. A year ago, the total anomaly was around -2 million squared kilometers. Those "experts" who bet that there will be less ice in 2008 than 2007 don't look particularly clever to me.

By the way, a Dutch team just published a study that shows that the Greenland melting cycle exhibits no trend in the last 17 years. See Andrew Revkin's blog and NYT article.

The first half of 2008

The first half of 2008 is over so we can say something about this period. According to the UAH MSU data, the average temperature anomaly for those six months was -0.03 �C, making the H1 of 2008 the coldest half-year since H1 of 1997. It's been a half-year of a cooling U.S. job market, too.

No, it is not a typo. I really mean that 2008 has been cooler than the "cold" La Nina years and half-years during the 1998-2001 La Nina episode, too. And that's true despite the fact that the 1998-2001 La Nina episode was both longer and stronger than the recent one. To summarize, there's no global warming in the recent 10 years of data.

This absence of warming becomes even more striking in the middle troposphere where the bulk of the greenhouse effect is being predicted while the reality shows an even slower warming trend if any. In fact, the trend since 1979 is 0.00 �C per decade on the Southern Hemisphere and 0.05 �C per decade globally, justifying the claim that there exists no satellite-observed global warming in the mid troposphere.

UAH MSU sees the global June 2008 anomaly in the mid troposphere as -0.20 �C and the average of H1 of 2008 equals -0.18 �C. Since the beginning of the UAH satellite records in 1979, only a few half-years in 1984, 1985, 1989, 1993 were cooler than H1 of 2008.

La Nina and the Sun

The La Nina conditions have changed to ENSO-neutral conditions that are expected to last at least through the Fall 2008 which should remove the negative ENSO bias: we will see whether we will return to "hot" temperatures.

The Sun remains sunspot-free and quiet which could keep the Earth rather cool.

"dude, nothing we can say will make us like as childish/silly as the rants you post. We HAVE posted the parts, you chose to ignore them. We get it, you like soldiers that sell out their fellow soldiers for political gain, and you hate or hold in contempt those that take a stand. We get that you manage to see NOTHING but bad in Republicans, and nothing put pure and honorable intentions from fellow limp wristed libs. We got it already, now move on."
(PRO July 3, 2008)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-08 AT 03:51PM (MST)[p]http://news.aol.com/article/greenland-glacier-shows-giant-new-crack/144181?icid=100214839x1207985115x1200425652

I don't care...

O.K. cuz here's the deal.........remember this is just between the 2 of us. I'm going to open the first Ice farm here in Idaho. We all know how cheap used refridgerators are, I plan to have acres and acres of them running 24/7 making...you guess it ice!

Way I figure it I will have this global warming thing wrapped up in no time at all. With all these ice shelves breaking off the income potential is limitless. I can see it now 1,000's of acres of refridgerators lined side by side.

When I work out all the details I'll send you a prospectus.

I don't understand with everything being fine and all this cooling going on for the last ten years, why are all these trees turning brown and the glaciers shrinking so rapidly in the mountains above town? they say there is a lot of that going on elsewhere in the world, 202 please explain

Its called the natural cycle of the planet Pipedream. Glaciers come and glaciers go, then they come back again, then they go away again ect ect...........It has been happening ever since day one. We did not cause it then and we aint causing it now. It is just that simple.

"dude, nothing we can say will make us like as childish/silly as the rants you post. We HAVE posted the parts, you chose to ignore them. We get it, you like soldiers that sell out their fellow soldiers for political gain, and you hate or hold in contempt those that take a stand. We get that you manage to see NOTHING but bad in Republicans, and nothing put pure and honorable intentions from fellow limp wristed libs. We got it already, now move on."
(PRO July 3, 2008)

Piper: Things are complicated. It isn't enough to look at merely the diminishment of specific glaciers. One possible explanation -- and I'm not saying it is the answer, as I said it is complicated and many, many factors need to be analyzed -- is that perhaps the amount of precipitation has changed? Thus, all other things being equal, a glacier that is in steady state (neither growing or shrinking), when the in-flow of precipitation decreases will begin to shrink.

I think the point is that, according to observed temperature readings, global temperatures over the last 10 years are lower, and hence "global warming" is not occurring now. You can attack the data and say it is faulty in some way. But if the data is solid, this leads to many questions. One question is the entire theory of greenhouse gases driving climate change. If CO2 emissions are up and greenhouse gases exercise a dominant effect on global temperatures . . . why are global temperatures down over the last 10 years? Maybe the climate models used by the "the sky is falling and we are causing global warming by burning carbon-based fuels" crowd are fundamentally flawed? Maybe CO2 concentrations are not a dominating factor but only a low order driver of climate and therefor not something worth depth charging our economies to fine tune? Maybe other factors, such as solar radiation levels, are much more important than whether I drive a SUV or a hydrogen powered vehicle?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-08 AT 02:20PM (MST)[p]Piper, please take a geology class to learn how glaciers appearing and reappearing have helped to shape the earth over the past 4.5 billion years. It is kind of an important part of the geological process. Also, lets look at how uplift and tectonic activity is affecting glacier formation and cracking. Hmmmm, that wouldn't make too much sense though would it. Instead, lets blame it on a phonemnon / observation that has only 180 years or so of empirical data to analyze!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Cool.... Now that Al Gore has turned the tide on Global warming and has the invention of the internet under his belt he can start working on his next Nobel prize....... Terry

I mention the beetle killed trees because some say their effectivness has to do with the warm dry winters most of the Rockies have had over the last decade or two, the glaciers do come and go of course but there is some evedence that things are happening faster than what would be considered normal, the things I see seem to point to warming, I visited a town in far northern Quebec a few years ago a local Inuit resident pointed to an Osprey nest and mentioned that the weather has been unusual for sometime the birds had shown up the last few years and there is no name for the birds in their language, who knows but it was interesting to me, everywhere I have been it all points to warming, In the August 08 issue of Wyoming wildlife magazine there are some good letters to the editor about the global warming issue, the response from Chris Madson is good also, if you get a chance read it

piper, maybe you can explain why our neighboring planets are warming at the SAME/FASTER rates as the earth. Is that due to my big gas guzzling Ford? Talk about ignoring FACTS!

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Pro

You ever get the idea that Piper sees the worst in all things instead of the good? I'll bet nightmares are a common occurence to him, starring right wingers of course.

Ransom

This just sounds like anecdotal information. I would not be willing to venture high stakes on the basis of such anecdotal information. I would want to have data that is gathered on a global scale and compared across multiple independent sources of such globally collected data. To whit, something like what I suspect the temperatures cited in the initial posting that started this thread. Of course, I'm not in a position to validate or invalidate the cited data. I would observe that I run across too many bits of information that do not conform with a conclusion that there is a concensus among experts and qualified technologists that (1) global warming is in fact occuring; (2) that global warming is occuring and it is significantly (greater than 50% of the effect) driven by human behavior; and (3) that the magnitude of global warming is going to be a big effect. One of the things I have read in some seemingly reliable places is that global warming is observed on other planets -- notably Mars -- in our solar system, leading me to the natural assumption that the sun, known to be a variable source of energy not a constant source, may be the prime driver in any observed warming. Too much dissonant information, and the stakes are too high to take action "just in case."

alsatian

That made way too much sense. You are going to cause a few of our liberal MM friends to have a melt down.

Ransom

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom