No hunting in RMNP

sremim

Very Active Member
For any of you hoping to hunt in RMNP it will not happen. Instead of making money, the government would rather spend it:

Rocky Mountain National Park officials released a final decision Tuesday on how to reduce the number of elk living in and around to the park to protect new-growth aspen and willow trees.

Park officials or private contractors will begin a "gradual lethal reduction" to cull up to 200 a year, but average 100 a year, over a 20-year period, to achieve a target elk population of between 1,600 and 2,100, according to park documents.

Fencing also will be used to protecting new growth aspen and willow trees from being eaten by elk.

Over the past decade, park biologists discovered that these species of trees were reducing in numbers as elk populations grew in the park. Hunting is not allowed in Rocky Mountain National Pak.

Elk population reached a high point between 1997 and 2001, with annual estimates ranging from 2,800 to 3,500.

Since 2002, winter estimates in the park and Estes Valley outside the park have declined, ranging from about 1,700 to 2,200, according to park officials.

It's Bush's fault!!!

I got that article from Coloradoan.com, however I read a different article on a different website that says they will use contractors and volunteers to cull the herd. They say the volunteers may be qualified hunters. So, I guess you could still possibly "hunt" in RMNP, though not likely.

It's Bush's fault!!!

It's also been on TV and noted the meat would be donated to food banks or shelters or similar. A good cause, but I don't think it's in the best way to spend taxpayer dollars but hunters didn't get to vote on it!

It is a shame.
I posted a CDOW email this morning in the 'general' forum.
Jeff

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom