No hunting

joesikora

Long Time Member
No hunting for me this season
Finally went to see a PA for a spine surgeon at Washington U in St. Louis Mo
1) Cervical Stenosis
2) Herniated Disks in the Lumber Region
3) Lumbar Stenosis
This started last May and it caused me to have trouble walking, numbness, loss of strength in legs etc
Then a week are so after that I started getting numbness in my upper torso and loss of strength in arms etc.
So anyway the PA said “yeah you should have came right away when this started” then I said “just put it back how it was before last May“!
So the surgeon office said I will have to wait till November or December for an appointment. Well I got put in the front of the line I guess. The PA asked what Surgeon I wanted, I said Dr Buchowski she said ok, then I said he‘s the best right
“well he’s my boss she says! So that’s good right?! LOL! Then she said something about two weeks, so I assume that means I’ll see him in a couple week then schedule surgery, something else I just found out Cervical Stenosis It causes problems with breathing so that Sucks! I noticed all last night I keep waking up out of breathe. Crazy Stuff. As long as it gets fixed I cool!

Your Friend
Joe

Joe, I have been through all of what you are experiencing....twice! Plus neck surgery!
It is wise to have the surgery sooner than later. I waited to long for my second surgery, and now suffer permanent weakness in my legs, especially my right leg. I also suffer from neuropathy in my right foot. I has really put a damper on my hunting.
On the plus side, the relief was instantaneous when the surgeries were done. Don’t be afraid of the surgery, and follow the physical therapists programs for recovery.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys for all the well wishes!
Yes, I just want to get it done as well. It’s heck getting old Lol
I too have had the cervical and lumbar surgeries back in 1996 and 1997. So I just want to get it done

Dam Joe. Hope everything goes well. Ya know ya got a good none full of BS group here (rolling eye's) ifn' ya need to vent a touch!

Last edited:
1) Cervical Stenosis
3) Lumbar Stenosis
This started last May and it caused me to have trouble walking, numbness, loss of strength in legs etc
Then a week are so after that I started getting numbness in my upper torso and loss of strength in arms etc.
So anyway the PA said “yeah you should have came right away when this started” then I said “just put it back how it was before last May“!
So the surgeon office said I will have to wait till November or December for an appointment. Well I got put in the front of the line I guess. The PA asked what Surgeon I wanted, I said Dr Buchowski she said ok, then I said he‘s the best right
“well he’s my boss she says! So that’s good right?! LOL! Then she said something about two weeks, so I assume that means I’ll see him in a couple week then schedule surgery, something else I just found out Cervical Stenosis It causes problems with breathing so that Sucks! I noticed all last night I keep waking up out of breathe. Crazy Stuff. As long as it gets fixed I cool!

Your Friend
Joe
Praying for you. That sounds scary.

Getting old does suck. Sorry to here Joe. Best wishes on the surgery and get well soon. Keep us updated and if you need anything.

1) Cervical Stenosis
3) Lumbar Stenosis

Your Friend
Joe
Hang in there Joe ! I've had quite a few surgeries and some spinal issues. I always recovered but just not young anymore. Prayers !

That is tough to deal with. Even with the best surgeons some chronic back issues cannot be fixed as good as before. I hope everything goes well and you feel as good as you did this spring.

Tests from Tuesday

1. Mild levocurvature of the lumbar spine with neutral spinal
balance
2. Anterior instrumented spinal fusion from C5 through C7 with no
abnormal movement of the fused segment
3. Moderate facet and uncovertebral joint osteoarthritis with
neuroforaminal stenosis of the unfused cervical levels, left worse
than right
4. L5-S1 interbody spinal fusion with moderate multilevel
degenerative disc disease of the unfused lumbar spine

Dictated by:

The radiology attending physician has personally reviewed this study,
and had reviewed and/or edited this written report and agrees with
it.

Electronically signed by:

Narrative​

EXAMINATION: XR SCOLIOSIS 6 OR MORE VIEWS

HISTORY: Cervical myelopathy

FINDINGS:
Upright AP and lateral views of the entire body are obtained using
the EOS system with 6 additional dedicated radiographs of the
cervical spine with comparison made to radiographs of the lumbar
spine dated 09/29/2020.

Postoperative changes of anterior instrumented spinal fusion from C5
through C7 are noted. Instrumentation is intact. There is mild
junctional kyphosis of the cervical spine with apex at C 4-5 in
neutral positioning. No abnormal movement at the fused segment with
flexion and extension. There is mild right neuroforaminal stenosis of
the C2-C3, C3-C4, and C4-C5 vertebral levels. There is severe
neuroforaminal stenosis of the C2-C3 level and moderate neural
foraminal stenosis of the C3-C4 and C4-C5 levels on the left. There
is moderate facet and uncovertebral joint osteoarthritis of the
unfused levels. No fracture. Bilateral carotid artery
atherosclerosis noted.

No pelvic obliquity. Normal coronal spinal balance. Normal sagittal
spinal balance. There is a mild levocurvature of the lumbar spine.

Unchanged appearance of interbody spinal fusion at L5-S1. Unchanged
mild retrolisthesis of L3-L4. There is moderate multilevel
degenerative disc disease of the nonfused lumbar spine. Mild
multilevel degenerative disc disease of the thoracic spine.

1. Moderate generative disc disease at the nonfused lumbar spine
levels.
2. Interbody fusion at L5-S1.

Electronically signed by:

Narrative​

EXAMINATION: Lumbar spine minimum 4 views

HISTORY: Lumbar back pain

FINDINGS: 4 views of the lumbar spine are submitted for
interpretation. No prior examination is available for comparison.
There is interbody fusion at L5-S1. Mild retrolisthesis at L3-L4 does
not change with flexion or extension. Moderate degenerative disc
disease is present at the nonfused lumbar spine levels. There is no
compression fracture. The aorta is atherosclerotic.

DAMN! This sounds like a lot of stuff LOL! It’s all good I’ll be chasing elk with My NM and Utah Family and busting Ditch Parrots with Gator in the South!

Joe

Well gang it’s D-Day! I do not have COVID so the 21st@10:30am surgery for a C2-T2 fusion Cervical to Thoracic. I was told a 50% mobility loss which I hope that number is off because I won’t be able to see the blood trail and it would make wing shooting tougher.
I hope the surgery gets me back to at least how I was prior to 5/19. I’d be Happy Happy Happy! I’m a little nervous LOL!.

I already had a cervical fusion C3-C5 and a lumbar fusion
L5-S1 so it’s not new to me.

Have a cold/hot one on me and

Merry Christmas my friends

Joe

We all would be a little nervous. Wishing you the best. Get well soon and PT this winter and spring to get out in the field next fall.

Best of luck Joe. I have confidence you are in good hands. Follow the orders from the Doc and you will be fine. Hope to see you on the mountain next fall??

This is Mrs. Sikora. Joe has made it through surgery and I want to thank all you wonderful people for all your prayers and well wishes. I can’t imagine a world without him!

image.jpg

You’ll be fine ! I had a surgery 25 years ago and going strong!
264 yep! this is my second surgery on cervical fusion first one was 25 years ago! I will also have my second lumbar fusion later this year again 25 years later! The key words here are 25 years later!

To anyone that has had the cervical Fusion surgeries in the past years. If you start to have any symtoms (google them) go to your GP have them ok a Xray, MRI. When talking about this with my Surgeon he said this is the new better get this done surgery before it causes huge problems

just a thought

joe

Get well Joe I'll bet your just glad it's over. I just had my pacemaker replaced and was nervous all the way up to the operation. Now just glad it's over.

Get well

I feel you pain, I had a lumbar fusion in August and spent the season as a spectator. It couldn't be put off any longer still dealing with drop foot in my left leg and healing nerves that ache all the time. I just barely got back light jogging on the treadmill. Wishing you speedy recovery.

I feel you pain, I had a lumbar fusion in August and spent the season as a spectator. It couldn't be put off any longer still dealing with drop foot in my left leg and healing nerves that ache all the time. I just barely got back light jogging on the treadmill. Wishing you speedy recovery.
Good luck to you on your rehab I’m sure all we’ll be good for all of us! Joe

damn I was just 2 screws short of winning a free toaster!

6 old screws 1 plate 2 cadaver bones first surgery
15 screws and rods 2nd surgery

Joe

41A4FEE8-193F-4CE8-8DF9-C5407CCA4EB8.jpeg

120401DB-3A07-4D57-95EE-DD6BB4D42AA8.jpeg

E568ECF3-BB8E-4511-85F7-D93500EA5977.jpeg

I know! Right Snoop?
If anyone needs a operation like these hit me up I’ll get ya dialed in with my boy Dr Jacob Buchowski and his Team!

Joe

Thanks rmanwill.
Dr Jacob‘s team kept saying ‘if you don’t have this surgery you‘ll be paralyzed in a year or so” (I already wanted to have the surgery), then the other options weren’t that great. I told them all that was NOT AN OPTIONl PERIOD!

joe

Last edited:
Joe
I hope you are on the road to recovery. Looking at your X-rays you’ve to been to hell and back.
I’m betting you’re hunting this fall????

Thanks Chad!
could you imagine not having insurance? I guarantee I wouldn’t of got the Surgeon I wanted and did

Joe

Round Two Lumbar Surgery The 29th of June​

Study Result​

Impression​

1. Solid incorporation and interbody fusion at L5-S1 with solid
fusion of the left L5-S1 facets.
2. Redemonstrated severe canal stenosis at L3-L4 secondary to
advanced degenerative disc disease and facet arthropathy.

Dictated by: Rehan Ahmed Nizamuddin, M.D.

The radiology attending physician has personally reviewed this study,
and had reviewed and/or edited this written report and agrees with
it.

Electronically signed by: Michelle M Miller-Thomas, M.D.

Narrative​

EXAMINATION: CT of the lumbar spine without contrast

HISTORY: Spinal stenosis status post fusion.

TECHNIQUE: CT of the lumbar spine was performed according to standard
protocol without intravenous contrast.

COMPARISON: MRI lumbar spine dated 05/10/2021.

FINDINGS:

There are postsurgical changes of L5-S1 laminectomy, right
facetectomy, and interbody fusion. There is solid incorporation and
interbody fusion at L5-S1. There is solid osseous fusion across the
left L5-S1 facets.

There is congenital canal stenosis with exuberant ligamentum flavum
hypertrophy. There is severe degenerative disc disease at L3-L4 with
vacuum disc phenomenon and mild retrolisthesis, confirming advanced
degenerative disc disease. There is no change in the severe
degenerative disc disease and facet arthropathy resulting in severe
canal stenosis at L3-L4 when compared to the same day MR. There is
multilevel neuroforaminal stenosis and canal stenosis at other levels
of the lumbar spine.

There is a simple cyst in the mid zone of the left kidney.. There is
atherosclerotic calcification of the abdominal aorta..

Study Result​

Impression​

Stable postoperative and degenerative changes of the lumbar spine as
described in detail above.

Electronically signed by: Robert C. McKinstry, M.D.

Narrative​

EXAMINATION: Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the lumber spine
without contrast.

HISTORY: Spinal stenosis status post fusion.

TECHNIQUE: Multiplanar multi-weighted MRI of the lumbar spine was
performed without intravenous contrast using the standard lumbar
spine protocol.

Contrast information:
0 mL

COMPARISON: 10/27/2020.

FINDINGS:

Stable levoscoliosis, degenerative in nature, is noted.
Postoperative changes are noted from posterior decompression and
interbody fusion at L5-S1 unchanged.. Persistent Modic type I signal
changes noted at L3-L4, unchanged. There are no compression
fractures. The conus medullaris terminates at the level of L1. The
distal spinal cord signal intensity is normal. Schmorl's nodes are
seen in the inferior endplate of T11, and T12-L1 and the inferior
endplate of L1 and at L3-L4. Disc bulging is seen at L3-L4, L4-L5.
An annular fissure is seen at L3-L4. Limited views of the abdomen and
pelvis show no soft tissue abnormality. The aorta is normal. .

L1-L2: There is a bulging disc. There is no facet arthropathy. There
is no neuroforaminal stenosis. There is mild to moderate spinal canal
stenosis.

L2-L3: There is a bulging disc. There is mild bilateral facet
arthropathy. There is no neuroforaminal stenosis. There is mild
spinal canal stenosis

L3-L4: There is a large bulging disc. There is mild bilateral facet
arthropathy. There is moderate right and severe left neuroforaminal
stenosis. There is severe spinal canal stenosis

L4-L5: There is a large disc osteophyte complex. There is moderate
right and severe left facet arthropathy. There is mild right and
moderate left neuroforaminal stenosis. There is severe spinal canal
stenosis

L5-S1: There is an interbody fusion and posterior decompression.
There is severe bilateral facet arthropathy. There is moderate right
and mild left neuroforaminal stenosis. There is no spinal canal
stenosis

1) Cervical Stenosis
3) Lumbar Stenosis

Your Friend
Joe
I got diagnoses as you..already have a Plate in neck..
Get better

My translation: Your back is AFU.

Mine was similar, but without stenosis. I have numbness in both feet, but that remains unchanged in 11 years.

Wow, I truly hope your recover fully from the above.

Your report reads just like mine. Holding off until late November, early December for my surgery (#3). They will be fusing the L3, L4,
L5 and S1, and addressing the stenosis in the L2. I had my neck done 4 years ago, and it went well. Hope your surgery goes well and you have a complete recovery. I will be anxious to know how the surgery goes. Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

I'm going to quit complaining about my little aches and pains.
Hope you guys gets better. Now Joe you know we do need blockers no walking right.

The fact that they can detect this stuff, mitigate a lot of it, and you can probably be hunting again this fall (or if not hunting, doing many other things that are important to you) is miraculous. Not that many years ago none of that was possible. We are living in a golden age of medical technology. Thoughts are with you, good luck and may your rehab be swift.

I am old...and worn out. I was diagnosed with lumbar degeneration and fusion along with severe arthritis in my pelvis, hips and lumbars. Lot of intense pain for 8 months. I finally did some research on Mayo Clinic and decided on my own to get Cortasteroids injections in both hips. My doctor was not proactive at all. Well in about 2-3 hours I started feeling very good with hardly any pain. It has been 6 days now and I can walk again. I am done hunting but am going salmon fishing in Alaska in a couple of weeks. Hang In There !

Good news bad news
1st Good
The lumbar fusion should eliminate all the leg issues
loss of strength
numbness
tripping
falling down
unable to walk sit stand for any length of time

2nd Bad

I‘ll be down for a year
no bending front to back, back to front, side to side, no twisting
no crossing my legs to put socks or shoes on etc, no butt wiping without special butt wiping tools, no lifting anything over 10lbs how well I pee?, special care to get in and out of a vehicle etc etc
now the biggie NO HUNTING! PERIOD!!!

now I asked just like the rest of you all would do
to the nurse “now your talking about normal variety men Not Heman Like Us Hunters Right?” She sad specifically YOU! Because I have been working playing hunting hard all my life my type is the worst for ripping the screws lose causing irreversible damage!
I explain to her the last time I was only down for a month or two she then goes and gets me the model below. Oh by the way this model costed $10k. not this model does from L4-L5-S1
my fusion is one higher L3-L5-S1.
Gator I started texting you after hearing my phesant hunting fate while in the CPAP offices but was told by Mrs Sikora to put that away while the young lady was drawing my blood because it’s rude!
Will not be able to harvest my timber until late summer early fall 2022!
Well 2022 here I come!

It will all be worth it to regain the items mentions above and to live back pain free without muscle spasms etc
I’m blessed

Joe

2F3673D3-66D4-46E8-82DB-D69A55536CDC.jpeg

CE42233C-57B8-4A4C-836B-C7047F7E20BA.jpeg

456A7CEB-57D7-4F81-B36C-C04E58146AA2.jpeg

Damn Joe, that looks like a nasty surgery! You will come out fine, you certainly have the right attitude and will be ready to kick some A$$ next hunting season. I am still one Point ahead of you for Utah Elk points! Like you, I had to put in for a point this year due to my pending back surgery in December or January. Keep us posted on your recovery!

Good news bad news
1st Good
loss of strength
numbness
tripping
falling down

2nd Bad

I‘ll be down for a year
no crossing my legs to put socks or shoes on etc, no butt wiping without special butt wiping tools, no lifting anything over 10lbs how well I pee?, special care to get in and out of a vehicle etc etc

to the nurse “now your talking about normal variety men Not Heman Like Us Hunters Right?” She sad specifically YOU! Because I have been working playing hunting hard all my life my type is the worst for ripping the screws lose causing irreversible damage!
I explain to her the last time I was only down for a month or two she then goes and gets me the model below. Oh by the way this model costed $10k. not this model does from L4-L5-S1
Gator I started texting you after hearing my phesant hunting fate while in the CPAP offices but was told by Mrs Sikora to put that away while the young lady was drawing my blood because it’s rude!
Well 2022 here I come!

It will all be worth it to regain the items mentions above and to live back pain free without muscle spasms etc
I’m blessed

Joe

View attachment 43585

View attachment 43586

View attachment 43587
Man that's a lot of hardware I would love to be there the first time you go through a metal detector.....
What the hell is a butt wiping tool look like? Never heard of that I thought that was your wife... who did that for you?

Good news bad news
1st Good
loss of strength
numbness
tripping
falling down

2nd Bad

I‘ll be down for a year

Well 2022 here I come!

I’m blessed

Joe

View attachment 43585

View attachment 43586

View attachment 43587
No sex either? **** joe get better!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom