Nolser Etip Handloads

camokid

I'm looking at starting to load some 168 grain Etips for my 300 Rum.
And then 30-06 with IMR4350
I know they say start at the low load data. Has anyone done so?
With components hard to get I was thinking of doing 1 grain increments
to check for pressure first before doing 3-5 round group test with Retumbo.
Starting at one cartridge at: Testing for pressure signs first? good or bad idea?
1 @ 91.0 grains Retumbo 300 RUM
1 @ 92.0 grains Retumbo 300 RUM
1 @ 93.0 grains ect. Retumbo 300 RUM

I almost always do what you are suggesting, and I take 1grain jumps to find pressure. After each shot I inspect each case for pressure indicators. I also Chronograph each shot for any sudden MV changes.
No doubt we are all trying to stretch our powder reserves. It's like gold dust these days.
I'm sure mtmuley gave you good advice. He's a RUM guy!

Contact Nosler directly ask for most accurate load data for bullet and powder you are using. Save time and powder….

I'm looking at starting to load some 168 grain Etips for my 300 Rum.
And then 30-06 with IMR4350
I know they say start at the low load data. Has anyone done so?
With components hard to get I was thinking of doing 1 grain increments
to check for pressure first before doing 3-5 round group test with Retumbo.
Starting at one cartridge at: Testing for pressure signs first? good or bad idea?
1 @ 91.0 grains Retumbo 300 RUM
1 @ 92.0 grains Retumbo 300 RUM
1 @ 93.0 grains ect. Retumbo 300 RUM
Why eTips? None of my guns will shoot them as accurately as the Hammers or the Barnes TTSX.

Copper bullets need more of a jump than conventional bullets or you get pressure spikes. Don't try to load them with the ogive just off the lands, maybe 1/16" is a good jump to start with.

Copper bullets need more of a jump than conventional bullets or you get pressure spikes. Don't try to load them with the ogive just off the lands, maybe 1/16" is a good jump to start with.
In this case, if it's a factory rifle the OP won't get anywhere near the lands. mtmuley

I almost always do what you are suggesting, and I take 1grain jumps to find pressure. After each shot I inspect each case for pressure indicators. I also Chronograph each shot for any sudden MV changes.
No doubt we are all trying to stretch our powder reserves. It's like gold dust these days.
I'm sure mtmuley gave you good advice. He's a RUM guy!
Thanks! That was my thinking at least. Never done it that way with the RUM

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom