Non Profit Payrolls

Ditch digger

What do you think is a red flag for conservation org. that are a 501 c 3 per payroll? I see some pay over 50% to employees wages and compensation. Obviously some paperwork will always need to be done, but to me, when a org. takes in say, almost 4 million dollars and pay out over 2 million in salaries and comp, it's a bit questionable. Myself, I do not want to give $ to a org that over 50% of the money, goes to salaries. Just me.

What do you think is a red flag for conservation org. that are a 501 c 3 per payroll? I see some pay over 50% to employees wages and compensation. Obviously some paperwork will always need to be done, but to me, when a org. takes in say, almost 4 million dollars and pay out over 2 million in salaries and comp, it's a bit questionable. Myself, I do not want to give $ to a org that over 50% of the money, goes to salaries. Just me.
Any examples?

I read the OP and thought 50% was low. I did a search and there are several charity rating sites. Some of the top 501(c) orgs spend 90% or more on programs.

I thought you were actually going somewhere with this post besides clickbait. I was wrong carry on with your su
Why you have a problem with discussing how non profit's spend the money they raise is "click bait"? To me, it is a genuine question that deserves discussion...if you are not able to contribute to that discussion, as I stated, move along man, move along.

You mean the discussion where you want everyone to do research for you? Do your own homework this is a hunting forum.?

I'm the ED of a non-profit and employee compensation differs a bit every year, but last year was 30% of gross revenues.

Kinda hard to have a discussion on generalities.

Who is it your worried about? Chanc scare someone might have specific answers vs general ones

I won't give to any group with low spend on actual beneficial uses. Also, if they won't release audited and full financials, they don't get my money.

I go find their financials and if they don't exist, they don't get my money. I walked away from a state Board position for a non-profit because they weren't transparent enough with funds. That's how seriously I take the duty of somebody asking for my money to disclose how it's being spent.

Right now, the majority of my funds go to RMEF.

PS. Charity Navigator is much like BBB and carries no weight with me. If you don't believe me, go research what it takes to get a CN rating... it's not much.

The 36 inch DD type1 group is far more fiscally conservative and I have found them a better use for conservation funds. PM me for more where to join and donate.

AD8AB423-A371-404E-A9BD-F8854BE50BB0.jpeg

You can't paint all non-profits with the same brush.
Some non-profits are all volunteer and all of their money goes to on the ground stuff. When they get large enough they sometimes need paid staff or they wear out their volunteers. Once they get to a paid staff level it will actually make them more effective. There is such a thing as too much overhead and salary but you can't make generalizations about how much is right.

Other non-profits have a more legislative or policy making focus and don't plant sagebrush, build guzzlers, or other grass roots stuff. That doesn't make them any less worthy. Their function is vital to our sport yet they will be more top heavy on salaries.

I sit on a non-profit board. At this point we do not have any full time employees. We do pay out some part time contract labor. All the board positions have stayed volunteer. Over the past couple of years we have discussed changing that and compensating the secretary and treasurer, although we haven't decided to do so yet. We have noticed the work of our volunteer board has become so demanding we have had some board members resign and it is difficult to convince members to accept a board nomination now because they see how much work without compensation they will be putting into our group.

We just keep growing and getting busier and busier. People have to understand at some point you get so busy you have to start paying some people. Nobody volunteers for slavery.

There is such a thing as too much overhead and salary but you can't make generalizations about how much is right.

I think if you're eating more than 15% to run a 501 c of any kind, you need a restructuring. Your mission was lost along the way....

Hornkillers, I knew you'd respond. Actually, I only give to CDA and would love to donate to that Double DDs foundation. I'm a life member of RMEF and have been since their inception. I lost interest on them when they started spending money like a crank whore about 25 years ago.

You forgot your mission along the way.....
No I haven't forgotten my mission. Our mission isn't to hand out money and goodies to people. Never was. Our mission costs money. Lots of it because we are paying people for services in our mission. People that aren't on our board or even within our membership are getting paid. Municipalities are getting paid. Vendors, accountants, lawyers etc.... You can't get around it. That's the cost of what it takes to provide to our membership.

If I start sitting on %85 of the money we collect every year the IRS is going to have a serious problem with our corporate agreement.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom