Non Res archery elk 20 points.

callsalot

Hello fellow Monster Muley's.

I'm finally thinking of burning my Points for AZ elk. I finished my online hunter ethics, and my point is now showing in the system, so I have 20 Nonresident points total. A couple of questions I have for you all.
1. Unit 1 archery is my main thought. Would any of you try to talk me out of it and look at a different unit or is unit one about as good as it gets for 20 points?
2. I think AZ takes your top two choices first. So, would it be a legitimate strategy to put in for another unit like 3A/3C first and Unit 1 as a second choice or am I not understanding how the draw works?

Just thought I get some feedback since many of you on the AZ forum are more versed than I am about these units. Happy New Years and thanks in advance for you input!!

They look at 1st choice and try to fill, then go to 2nd choice and try to fill so, harder to draw should always be 1st choice.
In your example you have it correct, 3a then 1.

Sometimes overlooked, If you draw a lesser unit as 2nd choice in the bonus pass, you will be out of the draw, never going into the random.

Have a fun hunt, I loved it but was 10 years ago.

I agree with WapitiBob you have the right order in choices. Not to be a downer but I think you will just be in the Random draw with those 2 choices. A lot of high point holders bought their hunter ed point this year . Also, alot of high point holders who have been buying bonus points will apply this year due to late start date. I did look at odds for unit 1 and it took at least 20 for a bonus tag last year. 18,19, or 20 points is still short of top tier units IMO. Im at 19

I agree with WapitiBob you have the right order in choices. Not to be a downer but I think you will just be in the Random draw with those 2 choices. A lot of high point holders bought their hunter ed point this year . Also, alot of high point holders who have been buying bonus points will apply this year due to late start date. I did look at odds for unit 1 and it took at least 20 for a bonus tag last year. 18,19, or 20 points is still short of top tier units IMO. Im at 1
Thanks for the feedback, just out of curiosity how do you know there where a lot of high point holders that bought their hunters ethic course point or hunters safety point this year. Is that something you can look up?? just curios.

They look at 1st choice and try to fill, then go to 2nd choice and try to fill so, harder to draw should always be 1st choice.
In your example you have it correct, 3a then 1.

Sometimes overlooked, If you draw a lesser unit as 2nd choice in the bonus pass, you will be out of the draw, never going into the random.

Have a fun hunt, I loved it but was 10 years ago.
Hey Wapiti Bob, Thanks for the clarification and your feedback. It looks like 20 points might do it for Unit one depending on if others with higher points decide to shift units this year or not.

Thanks for the feedback, just out of curiosity how do you know there where a lot of high point holders that bought their hunters ethic course point or hunters safety point this year. Is that something you can look up?? just curios.
Just speculation and hear say. I heard a local application service was walking his clients through the process . Take it for what its worth

Yea you can somewhat look it up via the bonus point report. Gives the full break down of species and number of res and non res and whether they each of the 2 extra points.

For your choices as everyone has said harder hunt first easier hunt second. Yes people have piled on to the free ride of buying a point. Still feel bad for the people that actually made the effort to travel to do the test.

Archery hunts are going to be tough due to date, moon, and precipitation so far this year.

Looking at unit 1 specifically there are 12 tags available in the bonus pass for NR if tag #s don’t change. Last year there were 13 people that did not draw a tag with 19 points.

Last year 7 people between 20-22 got tags and I would expect that # to continue or go up with the date, moon, and AZ cash grabbing with the bonus point.

It’ll be an interesting draw for sure this year. I think if the precipitation continues you may see B tier zones creep 2 points with everything already stated.

Good luck see you in the draw

Well thanks for the all the input everyone. I'll let you all know if 20 points gets the job done this year or not in unit 1 for archery.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom