non res point cost

I am a resident here and I’ll be honest with you, there’s not a zone in this state that’s worth the cost if it’s $300 per year in my opinion. I put in because it’s cheap as a resident but any other state would be a better investment.

By next year at this time I will be a NR. I have max points for deer. I did check on how a NR can maintain and earn points. Pay full price for the NR hunting licence and full price for the deer tag. I believe that total is $308.00. If you do not draw you will get $279.00 back. That's if you ask for the refund.

Having to buy a hunting license in order to apply in the draw isn't any different than a number of other Western states - Nevada, Colorado, and Utah all do the same thing. The tag business and lengthy and convoluted refund process is the difference. CA is not particularly friendly to non-resident hunters. Not many non-residents apply in CA, either.

I buy a NR hunting license in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Oregon & New Mexico every year to apply for their draws & those states don't give me my license money back! I hunt California every year so I also buy a license there.

One thing to keep in mind when applying as a non res, whether for deer, elk sheep etc. is that California does not have a non res tag quota set aside. Deer your treated same as a res and with Sheep a non res cannot draw more than 10% of total tags, but your not entered into a separate pool and only one non res can draw elk, antelope....long story short is as a non res unless your really into their deer and a max point holder for sheep, elk, lope it’s not a viable State.

One thing to keep in mind when applying as a non res, whether for deer, elk sheep etc. is that California does not have a non res tag quota set aside. Deer your treated same as a res and with Sheep a non res cannot draw more than 10% of total tags, but your not entered into a separate pool and only one non res can draw elk, antelope....long story short is as a non res unless your really into their deer and a max point holder for sheep, elk, lope it’s not a viable State.
I can’t remember but are you considered a resident in the draw if you obtain a lifetime hunting license and big game enhancement stamp?

Actually, CA is the most non res friendly state when it comes to drawing deer tags your in with the resident pool. Kinda crazy stupid!

Read the rules on benefits of a lifetime hunting license for a NR carefully before you buy it. Lots of different explanations going around.

I can’t remember but are you considered a resident in the draw if you obtain a lifetime hunting license and big game enhancement stamp?
If you purchase the Lifetime license and the big game enhancements you will get a license, 1 deer tag and 5 pig tags every year for free no matter where you live. You will be a NR for purposes of the sheep, elk, and antelope draws with the associated NR quotas and fees if you are the lucky NR to draw one of those tags...

Horniac

This ^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I purchased lifetime a couple years back expecting an earlier out of state move but still wanting to duck hunt and apply for my favorite X zone. A few years putting in or drawing and things even out quickly however a refund changes the math. Hoping to draw out elk and antelope and be done here but that is probably a dream as it hasn't happened in 20+ years.

Is the NR pool for elk, antelope and sheep limited to one tag or is that just for sheep?

Last edited:
Having to buy a hunting license in order to apply in the draw isn't any different than a number of other Western states - Nevada, Colorado, and Utah all do the same thing. The tag business and lengthy and convoluted refund process is the difference. CA is not particularly friendly to non-resident hunters. Not many non-residents apply in CA, either.
You do not have to purchase a hunting license in NV in order to apply in the draw. You only need to purchase a NV hunting license if you wish to accumulate bonus points. My buddy drew a NR PIW tag and opted not to buy the license!

Read the rules on benefits of a lifetime hunting license for a NR carefully before you buy it. Lots of different explanations going around.
I bought the license then called the person at FG who is in charge of draws to figure everything out. I’m not sure I would have bought the license if I had talked to her first. If you don’t have max points for sheep, elk or antelope you will be in the random draw forever because they do not allocate a single non res tag. Long short of it is California sucks for many reasons as a resident and sucks even more for a non res.

Drawing most sheep hunts in California is just short of a miracle. For my tag it was 1200-1 odds but I was the one. What are the Tule bull odds 250+-1 in most units? Antelope is better but not much and I have been in the game for more than 30 years. I am uncertain how NR figures in but wishing to draw while still a resident. The odds are slim that will happen no matter where I live.

I don't believe you can hunt Elk in this state as a Non Resident I could be wrong.... I believe you can buy a Tule elk hunt from a ranch but I don't think you can apply.

I don't believe you can hunt Elk in this state as a Non Resident I could be wrong.... I believe you can buy a Tule elk hunt from a ranch but I don't think you can apply.
You can apply, however once one non res is drawn no other non res can draw because they only allow one total. Most years a non res is never drawn but it can and does happen, just not every year

Here you go this is straight from the CA 2021 Big Game Hunting Digest:

ELK AND PRONGHORN TAG APPLICATION
RESTRICTIONS
Applicants must be 12 years of age or older on or before July 1, 2021, and possess a valid 2021-22 California hunting license.
Only one nonresident may be drawn for an elk or pronghorn tag annually.

Horniac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom