Non-resident Antelope timeline

Daxter

Very Active Member
I'd really like to hunt buck antelope in MT with my dad. We are both non-residents to Montanta. We have never applied there before. We want a rifle hunt and would like to hunt public lands or walk in area lands, somewhere with decent access.

We plan to buy bonus points this year. How long are we looking at for drawing? I have applied in a lot of states, but the MT stuff has me confused.

Any suggestions on general areas/regions we should be looking at? Trophy quality isn't important to us, we just want to hunt together more and my dad is to the point with his health that antelope hunting is the best option for us.

I really appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thank you so much.

PS

Here are a couple pics from our last antelope hunt in WY.

6.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

Region 7 east of the Powder is your best bet for NR antelope.
You are likely to be disappointed in MT after hunting WY. You can still have a good hunt in MT, but MT is no WY.

Region 7 east of the Powder is your best bet for NR antelope.
You are likely to be disappointed in MT after hunting WY. You can still have a good hunt in MT, but MT is no WY.
Thank you so much. Do you have an idea about how many years of applying before a non-resident is likely to draw?

Thanks.

Points are not a guarantee in MT for antelope. Last year, odds were ~80% with 4 points. So, assuming things track with other states, probably 5-6 years from now if you’re starting with 0. But, you also have ~15% chance with 0 points.

FWIW my son and I drew 007 last year with 4 points so we’re back on the 0 point wagon too.

I drew in 2018 with no points, put in again this year. When I looked at odds, thought it was better than 15%. Anyhow, guess we will find out in a few more weeks. Good luck !

We got super lucky and drew with zero points. My dad decided to sit it out due to some health issues, but I drew with few work friends. We have have hunted pronghorn together before in WY. We are really excited to experience some new country. Thanks to all that gave us tips and advice. I requested a Block Management booklet and we have started planning our trip. Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom