Non-Resident Combo License

shedneck

I’m hoping someone can help me out here. I have 1 preference point for the general combination. Last year, it looks like everyone with 2.2-3 points drew the combo license; almost everyone with 2 points drew the combo license; nobody drew with 1 point, and a little over half of the applicants with 0 points drew. I know Montana issues 75% of those licenses to those with the most points and 25% to those with 0 points. Does this effectively mean that I’m nearly guaranteed not to draw a combo license with 1 point? Perhaps that depends on how many people cash in points this year, but it’s seems like I’d be better off buying a point or letting my points go to zero. I have 5 bonus points and my intent is to hold out for a limited entry elk tag. Thanks.

Funny, I had one point last year and my friend I applied with said he had one point also and we drew the combo tag. But I also heard there was a tech malfunction that awarded some to people with one point but fish and game decided to honor those. Not sure if that was the case but might as well throw your name in the hat and see what happens. Worst case you end up with another point anyway. Got this bull archery with my one point.
Elk 3.jpg

Funny, I had one point last year and my friend I applied with said he had one point also and we drew the combo tag. But I also heard there was a tech malfunction that awarded some to people with one point but fish and game decided to honor those. Not sure if that was the case but might as well throw your name in the hat and see what happens. Worst case you end up with another point anyway. Got this bull archery with my one point.View attachment 106805
If you had one point, and then paid to get a point then that point was effective immediately so you had 2 points.

Funny, I had one point last year and my friend I applied with said he had one point also and we drew the combo tag. But I also heard there was a tech malfunction that awarded some to people with one point but fish and game decided to honor those. Not sure if that was the case but might as well throw your name in the hat and see what happens. Worst case you end up with another point anyway. Got this bull archery with my one point.View attachment 106805
Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

So now in MT you must apply or you'll only be able to accumulate 1 preference point without applying for the combo tag. so buy a point one year, and then apply the next year and also buying the preference point for that year so you'll actually have 2 points in the draw.
If you don't draw a combo tag then you'll have 2 points the following year before the draw and then purchase one during the draw you'll go into the draw with 3 points. +

But if I DONT APPLY at all then I’ll loose all my preference points? but I can purchase a point after the draw before the end of the point only period (if I didn’t apply) and have one point before the draw the following year? and buy a point so Ill have 2 points in the draw? Is this the system? Montana regulations are a tough read but that's how I'm seeing it?
Anyone offer any insight on this please and thank you

Last edited:
Rather than me try to explain it and confuse you more you can go to Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks and look at the 2023 hunting regulation book yourself. It's on -line. It's explained on page 17.
This state now is catering to the outfitting business so much that they will allow you to purchase a second preference point but only if you use an outfitter. DIY out of state hunters can only get one point per year.

Not that it matters because the website keeps crashing...

But if I have one point, and don't want to draw this year, can I apply without buying a point and then buy a second point later? Website makes it sound like I can't...

Not that it matters because the website keeps crashing...

But if I have one point, and don't want to draw this year, can I apply without buying a point and then buy a second point later? Website makes it sound like I can't...
It says "Those who DO NOT apply for a combo license may purchase one preference point for a hundred dollars over the counter from July 1 to December 31. However the way I read it is if you don't apply this year you'll loose the one point you already have. You have to apply in consecutive years.

If I was you I would call any regional headquarters and make sure.
The Kalispell office phone number is 406 seven five two 5501.
They've always been very helpful there. The State Headquarters is in Helena and that number is 406 444 two five three five

It says "Those who DO NOT apply for a combo license may purchase one preference point for a hundred dollars over the counter from July 1 to December 31. However the way I read it is if you don't apply this year you'll loose the one point you already have. You have to apply in consecutive years.

If I was you I would call any regional headquarters and make sure.
The Kalispell office phone number is 406 seven five two 5501.
They've always been very helpful there. The State Headquarters is in Helena and that number is 406 444 two five three five
I read it the same way.

If I don't apply now, I can buy a point later in the year and end the year w/ one point. Then I could buy one with my app next year and apply w/ 2 points.

If I apply now and don't buy a point then I can't buy one later and still end the year w/ one point. Then next year I'd buy one with my app and apply w/ 2 points still.

I'd rather draw MT next year so I'm not sure which of those is a better option haha.

If I was you I would definitely call one of the game dept. numbers I gave you and get some clarification on that.

I did but they were closed. My fault for leaving it to the last minute.

I threw my app in without buying a point so we'll see what happens!

The Eastern part of the state got pounded. I have family on the Hi-Line and it's the same story up there. If I was going to deer hunt, Montana wouldn't be on my list. And I live here. mtmuley

The Eastern part of the state got pounded. I have family on the Hi-Line and it's the same story up there. If I was going to deer hunt, Montana wouldn't be on my list. And I live here. mtmuley
I guess I’m 15 min from the border and spent nearly every weekend on Ft Peck this year and like I said it’s probably worse then average but nothing near the epic winter SW WY or the eastern Dakotas had. I’m moving my local deer hunting plans to Western ND and NE MT because of all the places I hunt annually or semi annually they were hit the least by this winter for sure. We had about 50” of snow this year in the NW corner of ND and I’d say Glasgow was real similar. They had less snow to start with but caught up on the last couple storms. West of there I have no idea what it looks like.

I guess I’m 15 min from the border and spent nearly every weekend on Ft Peck this year and like I said it’s probably worse then average but nothing near the epic winter SW WY or the eastern Dakotas had. I’m moving my local deer hunting plans to Western ND and NE MT because of all the places I hunt annually or semi annually they were hit the least by this winter for sure. We had about 50” of snow this year in the NW corner of ND and I’d say Glasgow was real similar. They had less snow to start with but caught up on the last couple storms. West of there I have no idea what it looks like.
your going to be disappointed in the age class of deer hopefully you enjoy spending a couple grand to either shoot a less then average mule deer or have tag soup

your going to be disappointed in the age class of deer hopefully you enjoy spending a couple grand to either shoot a less then average mule deer or have tag soup
The age class sucks because it’s been shot to sh1t the last half decade. The winter in this part of MT didn’t affect the age class at all.

The age class sucks because it’s been shot to sh1t the last half decade. The winter in this part of MT didn’t affect the age class at all.
I didn’t say that it did! You just said you’re going to hunt around the north eastern corner and I gave my 2 cents on that. Enjoy running around with the other 60000 non residents region 6 and 7 are an over hunted joke! I live on the hi line and have watched it go from amazing mule deer hunting with chances at huge bucks go to whatever it is you want to call it now… time to split Montana into more regions or hunt districts and spread non res out make them draw an area and that’s the only place they can hunt if they are caught elsewhere hunting then they are blacklisted from the state! The overpopulation of nr in the northeast and east is disgusting to say the least… enjoy your hunt try not to fill a tag just to fill one!

I didn’t say that it did! You just said you’re going to hunt around the north eastern corner and I gave my 2 cents on that. Enjoy running around with the other 60000 non residents region 6 and 7 are an over hunted joke! I live on the hi line and have watched it go from amazing mule deer hunting with chances at huge bucks go to whatever it is you want to call it now… time to split Montana into more regions or hunt districts and spread non res out make them draw an area and that’s the only place they can hunt if they are caught elsewhere hunting then they are blacklisted from the state! The overpopulation of nr in the northeast and east is disgusting to say the least… enjoy your hunt try not to fill a tag just to fill one!
I’ve had 7-8 MT deer tags in the last decade and filled 1. I agree with you on choosing a unit for NR as I think that would help a ton. I also believe that completely unrestricted resident pressure for 6 weeks centered over the rut doesn’t help anything either.

I’ve had 7-8 MT deer tags in the last decade and filled 1. I agree with you on choosing a unit for NR as I think that would help a ton. I also believe that completely unrestricted resident pressure for 6 weeks centered over the rut doesn’t help anything either.
I agree with that also! I think starting possibly when antelope rifle does and ending like veterans weekend would be ideal?! Maybe give a handful of tags residents only can apply for to hunt the rut! What mt fwp is doing is horrid for “management”

I have a good buddy who lives 20 miles north of Saco and it's definitely been a tough go up there. On of the storms wind swept the landscape to 10' deep around anything. Took him three days to dig out to the road and had to wait a week to get to town.

Don't know know how anything lives up that way much less him :)

Cheers, Pete

Does anyone know how the winter kill situation is looking in unit 630 in the Breaks for elk?
I haven’t personally been in there but been close. I’m sure some deer died but the elk I’m sure will be fine. That being said, droughts and warm winters are the best thing for big elk up here and it has been anything but that so I would say antler growth is gonna be down a fair bit.

Too many archery hunters and too many bull tags. The Breaks could be world class with some management. mtmuley
To be honest the whole hi line could be world class for deer but it never will be because mt fwp cares about non res and their money and that’s it! But I do agree with your statement

To be honest the whole hi line could be world class for deer but it never will be because mt fwp cares about non res and their money and that’s it! But I do agree with your statement
My Grandfather and Father hunted the Sweetgrass Hills in the good days. It's all over now. My family still has a farm North of Shelby. I agree. Things could be different. mtmuley

I would argue they could have the NR money and a whole lot better quality if they limited everyone to specific units, including residents. Cut the season down to the last two weeks in October. Everyone that just wants to kill a deer could still get one and the bucks would show some serious improvement. Win win all the way around.

Cut the season WAY back? Hell yes that would be a start but the MOGA crowd would be howling to their constituents (MT legislators) and FWP has zero input. For the uninitiated, MOGA is the MT Outfitters Guides Association. My voice is nonrecognizable as a nonresident ranch owner (taxpayer) in Montana. Having dropped close to $100,000 grand in lifetime license fees for friends and family ( I will be 70 years old and grew up there) the season should be shut off prior to the mule deer rut. Second week of November. Shut it down for good for the year. They can keep shooting cow elk year around if they want but that is another ridiculous season that needs to be changed as well. Killing cow elk into February with all that stress on the entire herds getting shot at is lame at best.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom