Non Resident Elk- You in or just points?

Non residents-- You in or just points?

• Yes

• Points Only

• Do not apply for wyoming elk (why are you reading this thread?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just points this year. I’m a few behind max (12) and will likely apply for a tag next year. Any suggestions from anyone on a good unit with 12 points I’m all ears and open to ideas.

Put all three sons in. One with max points and two with one point under max. The two under max put in special. Still be lucky to draw. We will see. Best of luck to you all this year in the draws.

im in but have a question i applied for the full price elk tag
i did not see anthing about preference point being ask for or what type of draw i wanted in , random or preference point draw
if i have preference points does it automaticly put you in the right pool if you have points accumulated this is first choice only???

im in but have a question i applied for the full price elk tag
i did not see anthing about preference point being ask for or what type of draw i wanted in , random or preference point draw
if i have preference points does it automaticly put you in the right pool if you have points accumulated this is first choice only???
Yes

Well my plan all along was to sit out as I will draw a Arizona Archery Elk Tag. Earlier this month my daughter and her boy friend got COVID, my wife currently has it. I got tested today pretty sure I have it also. It makes you realize tomorrow is not promised so when I got home I put for a tag I will draw. Gonna be a busy fall god willing.

Last edited:
In. How many of you are crazy enough to go in the special pot with a type 4 tag as the second choice? It should be a guaranteed draw. Of course I have a while to chicken out. :)

I did that a few years ago Bigchief. Got lucky and drew my first choice so it worked out. Regular this year with type 4 second choice.

I apply for elk every year. With one less point than maximum I am always hoping to get a random tag in a premium area. I have decided to sit this year out and just buy points. Next year I will retire and pick a unit I can draw. See you in 2022

2 points shy of max and I’m in. Applied for a unit that only took 10 points last year but is well known for big bulls.

Realistically how many points to draw a decent unit? Not looking for a monster just a unit with a good opportunity to get a bull.

Realistically how many points to draw a decent unit? Not looking for a monster just a unit with a good opportunity to get a bull.
Honestly that’s a pretty vague question. How much elk hunting experience do you have? Physical capabilities? What’s your expectations for the hunt? The list goes on and on.

I was just talking a resident friend of mine yesterday regarding a deer unit we both have hunted. We both commented on how many elk we saw. It turned into a PITA because there were so many elk. Neither of us have ever considered putting in for it for whatever reason. I just looked up the draw odds and it’s a very low requirement for points. Looking back at the last few years it hasn’t had point creep. A unit that has lots of elk and a few nice bulls that can be had every 3 years? Not bad, is it a decent unit? To me yes but I also don’t shy away from packing an elk 4 to 5 miles which this area would require.

Put together a more detailed post with info on your end, be realistic about your experience hunting elk, etc. Once you’ve compiled all that info you’d be surprised the info someone may give you.

Good luck in the draws!

Two of us applied for Gen. tags in the special draw with 3 points. We wanted to hunt this year. We're booked with Tre Heiner.
Don P

Point only. I’m a few years out of the hunt I want. Cant wait to just put in for a general hunt.

I'm in. It will be interesting to see if the lengthening of the timeframe between application deadline and draw dates will increase the amount of people purchasing points only.

Burned my points a three years ago so just hoping for random but of course I'm in. Someone has to get them.

I have a lot of uncertainties about this fall so I swing for the fences with choice one and a high quality cow tag 2nd choice in Reg pool.

High quality cow TAG. Some people enjoy those as much as a coveted bull tag. There are definitely better quality cow tags in every elk state.
what is a high quality cow??
A hunt with plenty of easy public access, high harvest success rates, and a reasonable expectation of getting to see a lot of bulls before I pull the trigger on a nice healthy cow to fill the freezer.

My son and I are both in the special draw for the same unit. He has one less than max and I have 6 points. He “should” draw and I’m hoping to get lucky with a random tag.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom